Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10512 10513 [10514] 10515 10516 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13174339 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #157695 on: July 01, 2021, 09:43:34 pm »

My point is, that this sounds a hell of a lot like collusion between the DA and Cosby's defense team. That things were deliberately mishandled to undermine the judicial process and provide Cosby a literal "get out of jail free card." The only thing that makes me question my own opinion is that he did serve two years before that card was played.

But collusion is so far the only explanation I can come up with why it was handled this way. Castor was clearly not interested in prosecuting. He needed closure because he didn't think or didn't want to make a career prosecuting Cosby. (Likely assuming there were more people that would angry at him for prosecuting Cosby than not.) His strategy didn't work, he lost his election anyways.

I dunno. The last person I feel is getting done dirty here is Cosby. He got exactly what he bargained for with _the DA he was dealing with._ Can someone provide a statute or precedent that says a new prosecutor is obligated to abide by the (completely fucking ridiculous deal) made by previous prosecutor?
I could go on at length about prosecutors and all the corruption that goes on there, both ways. All they care about are wins and losses. Better to leave the rich and famous alone when it's so much easier to hide exculpatory evidence and force poor kids into terrible plea deals under the threat of More Jail/Prison

Fixed that for you. Poor people already exist in an world of financial ruin, threats of financial ruin mean nothing to them. Just use cash, ok?
@Damiac: It's nice to know that at least some middle class exist in the world.  You actually have to have some expectation of having some amount of money, and some money to lose in order for "financial ruin" to be a threat, so your comments make sense for Lower Middle Class, rather than Always Poor. I can produce a list of poverty, if you'd like, with the various levels of "Poor".  Lower Middle Class is the absolute top of that list.

It's the "Plea to the charge, or lose at trial and serve a year in Jail / 5 years in Prison / Whatever the max for the charge" that always gets people.
Who's gonna risk trial with that kind of threat hanging over their heads?  Plus, probation is such an easier way into prison than actually trying cases.
The proof of whether someone "had drugs" is a lot harder than the proof a person was "on drugs". 
Being "on drugs" is not a crime, but IS a violation of probation, allowing the original max jail/prison sentence to be imposed.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #157696 on: July 02, 2021, 08:57:45 pm »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_toRV6ziOYg&t=1s

I don't have anything to say, except that this gave me flashbacks, and I couldn't look at the video at all after a certain point; I just sat there, head on the desk, losing my ability to feel emotions. To be clear, my parents weren't like this, but 've had first hand experience through other authority figures in my life. That's all I'll say before this turns into a candidate for a Life Advice thread.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #157697 on: July 02, 2021, 09:10:49 pm »

It's bloody pragerU. The thing's a cesspit.

... also here's hoping checking that doesn't junk up my youtube suggestions with US reactionary horseshit. The video game and cute animal videos it's currently mostly populated with are much nicer :-\
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157698 on: July 04, 2021, 01:43:49 am »

Just the title screen of that video literally raised my blood pressure.

Here is my contribution to the WTF thread, to accompany Pig Milk.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #157699 on: July 04, 2021, 05:59:00 am »

pilk
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #157700 on: July 04, 2021, 09:14:25 am »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_toRV6ziOYg&t=1s

I don't have anything to say, except that this gave me flashbacks, and I couldn't look at the video at all after a certain point; I just sat there, head on the desk, losing my ability to feel emotions. To be clear, my parents weren't like this, but 've had first hand experience through other authority figures in my life. That's all I'll say before this turns into a candidate for a Life Advice thread.
omg.

how could I not watch this 5 minute trainwreck?  brb
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Robot Parade Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Well, go on ... parade!
    • View Profile
« Reply #157701 on: July 04, 2021, 04:38:11 pm »

Not seen family in forever. Got invited to a backyard cookout next Sunday.

They include COVID deniers/conspiracy theorists.

Uncle says he got the vaccine. Still spouts sorta Trumpy things, and god damn it's annoying.
They say there's no data on US flu deaths https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/index.html

They say they can't tell the difference between the flu and COVID.
They say there's a financial incentive to keep this going and it's over.
They say you don't need any mask if vaccinated (I wear one to be safe and stay inside).
*I get the CDC lifted mask mandates etc.

I just don't think I'm going to convince any of them of anything.

If I go briefly and stay in the open air backyard, am I going to be safe?
Note: I am vaccinated (Moderna x 2), but I have hypertension and medicate some medical conditions).

Thoughts?
I'm sure the rest of you might have relatives that drive you crazy over COVID stuff. How do you deal with them?

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #157702 on: July 04, 2021, 05:24:20 pm »

They say you don't need any mask if vaccinated (I wear one to be safe and stay inside).
For what it's worth this part is largely true. If you're vaccinated and of decent health your risks from covid are tiny, as are the risks to other vaccinated people and children from you spreading it on.

The main people you could hurt with it are anti-vaxxers and covid deniers, but IMHO that's entirely on them.

That said, are indeed major risks from this to people that are unable to take the vaccine for legitimate medical reasons (which is fairly rare, but does happen).
Note: I am vaccinated (Moderna x 2), but I have hypertension and medicate some medical conditions).
Quote from: Who.int
The vaccine has been found to be safe and effective in people with various conditions that are associated with increased risk of severe disease.

This includes hypertension, diabetes, asthma, pulmonary, liver or kidney disease, as well as chronic infections that are stable and controlled.
Note that the above statement is for the Pfeizer vaccine, but it and Moderna are basically the same so you should be fine. The vaccine is actually really damn solid.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #157703 on: July 04, 2021, 06:36:04 pm »

For what it's worth this part is largely true. If you're vaccinated and of decent health your risks from covid are tiny, as are the risks to other vaccinated people and children from you spreading it on
The risks of covid for vaccinated are largely unknown. You dont know if you're on the 5% that the vaccine doesnt work. Or if you'll be in contact with one of the variants against which vaccines are less effective. Or whether having symptomatic disease while vaccinated risks long covid or not.

Do whatever you want but you're doing it at your peril
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #157704 on: July 04, 2021, 07:15:34 pm »

Over two hundred people here got the two shots of the china vaccine at once.... funny stuff followed, as some people developed nasty side effects.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Robot Parade Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Well, go on ... parade!
    • View Profile
« Reply #157705 on: July 04, 2021, 07:38:51 pm »

Yeah. See, that's from a doctor. So I'm basically going to make up an excuse not to go. Looking for a decent one.

I dunno about that, but my arm hurt for 3 days and on the second jab I got somewhat flu like symptoms. Not bad, and screw it, and better than COVID any day.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #157706 on: July 04, 2021, 07:54:10 pm »

Yeah, but consider most of them were old people, I bet most with malnutrition, and here medicine is really expensive, water is not viable and what not...
Some migth get really sick or even die.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #157707 on: July 05, 2021, 12:19:52 am »

(I wear one to be safe and stay inside).
[...]
If I go briefly and stay in the open air backyard, am I going to be safe?

Pretty sure you're safer outdoors than indoors. There isn't a single documented case of outdoor COVID transmission (in the world, throughout the pandemic) where someone wasn't in a large crowd or having a face-to-face conversation with someone. (I.e., walking past people or sitting next to someone on a bench is safe.) Sunlight and fresh air kill pathogens, whereas less-ventilated areas are breeding grounds for disease.

And that's for unvaccinated people.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2021, 12:27:10 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #157708 on: July 05, 2021, 01:37:09 am »

But he's talking about a backyard BBQ. I'm pretty sure by definition that involves being in a crowd and talking to people.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #157709 on: July 05, 2021, 02:43:27 am »

No documented cases of someone "walking past people or sitting next to someone on a bench" causing transmission?  I am not surprised.  I'd be more surprised there was a documented case under those circumstances, because that'd represent an excellent bit of contract tracing.

But yeah, outdoors is relatively safe because the air naturally circulates, compared to some indoors places.  Six feet of social distancing probably helps a lot, in or outdoors.  Masks help others far more than they help you.

My parents always took their masks off with me regardless of the stage of the pandemic.  I think they had a crossed wire where I couldn't possibly be infected.  Naturally I kept mine on because I might have been contagious, sharing a home with a school employee.

That, and I feel much more comfortable masked for other reasons.  I intend to keep wearing it as long as it's socially acceptable, which I hope is forever.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 10512 10513 [10514] 10515 10516 ... 10983