Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10513 10514 [10515] 10516 10517 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13163376 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #157710 on: July 05, 2021, 04:19:39 am »

No documented cases of someone "walking past people or sitting next to someone on a bench" causing transmission?  I am not surprised.  I'd be more surprised there was a documented case under those circumstances, because that'd represent an excellent bit of contract tracing.
QFT, as well. Though I do agree that a priori outdoors keepong your distance should make things less likely.

I often wear a mask outdoors (not only for covid... I'd rather not breathe exahust particles either) but if I pull it down I put it on if I'm going close to anyone
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157711 on: July 05, 2021, 04:47:47 am »

I'm happy Chairman would say all this... We are having issues enforcing masks outdoors, especiall6 to doctors and veterinarians because the world is just that batshit crazy.
let

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #157712 on: July 05, 2021, 03:01:58 pm »

To me enforcing masks outdoors makes a lot of sense because it also makes it more likely that someone will wear the mask *indoors*. Plus the forementioned stuff about crowds.   Obviously there is no risk and noone will care if you're not wearing a mask alone in the mountain, but in the street its more likely someone will stop to talk or that you'll cross a street full of people.

Like I said, sometimes I pull it down if I'm walking alone on the street, but I put it up again if I see someone.

My biggest problem has been work related of all things. Masks can muffle cellphone voicws quite a bit and I've been on situations where I need to find a secluded place to pull it down so that the other guy understands me
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #157713 on: July 05, 2021, 03:14:42 pm »

Yeah, I still have mine on for most of walking around in town. Having it on all the time is more effective and less touchy than trying to pull it on/off whenever I pop into a building or pass someone by too closely. Plus mine's a full beard mask, which takes a bit more finagling to get it actually into position, and I'd rather just deal with the overheating than fiddle unnecessarily

Robot Parade Leader

• Bay Watcher
  • Well, go on ... parade!
    • View Profile
« Reply #157714 on: July 05, 2021, 05:32:04 pm »

It also kinda gets me that everyone anti mask should have their choice, but me wearing one needs to stop...

These people have 0 professional creditals. They have no right to speak on anything, but demand to be taken seriously. Its my risk, pain, and cost.... My wearing a mask should have 0 impact on them and 0 input from them. They don't /didn't want to be told to wear a mask, but can be mildly or more annoying about me wearing one....? 0 reciprocity....

Democracy doesn't work for stuff like this. Can't outvote a virus.

It is exhausting. I'm just gonna make up an excuse and not go. The truth would be, "No one has any right to risk my health, ever, at all. I'm not doing it, and if what you say matters, then why doesn't what I say matter?" This seems more polite.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157715 on: July 05, 2021, 06:29:43 pm »

Yes CP, yes Kagus, yes RPL. See if nobody here is willing to nitpick about however few percentage points, or even fraction thereof it might be... Why is it so freaking hard to that many people.  Small towns around here are less bad but villages, oh dear :(. They have this fix idea that we got boatloads of space, eventhough we are a tourist hotspot that keeps growing and there is queues everywhere in summer, it's been years I couldn't just go to a popular spot in nature and just be alone. "BUT OUTSIDE OK BECAUSE OUTSIDE IS OUTSIDE OK?!" handy when you can swat it away as "utter madness" just because -.- . Only thing really effective is to be exasperated and say I know, eventhough I don't agree and just have this defeated attitude that makes it clear there is no debate to be had like they're super right.
let

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #157716 on: July 06, 2021, 12:02:12 pm »

Damn electric cars are expensive.  I'm starting to try and look at the available models.  First of all there are almost no sedans. I don't want a CUV, SUV, or truck dammit.

I mean, even the unattractive Chevy Bolt starts at like $31k.

Sedans are all in the stupid-expensive range; the only one that isn't stupid-expensive (just merely "expensive") is Tesla, but I refuse to even consider Tesla, too much hubris.
Spoiler: I'm not alone (click to show/hide)

EDIT to avoid double-post:

My trash service was sold again.  The one that bought our service doesn't even offer recycling.  This is the 4th waste service company we've had in 7 years.  Must be a tough business...
« Last Edit: July 07, 2021, 10:41:17 am by McTraveller »

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #157717 on: July 07, 2021, 01:19:42 pm »

So the president of Haiti got assassinated by some mercenary squad. It's always a WTF to hear of a head of state being whacked.
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #157718 on: July 07, 2021, 10:00:27 pm »

So the president of Haiti got assassinated by some mercenary squad. It's always a WTF to hear of a head of state being whacked.

Nah, but I play Kenshi.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #157719 on: July 08, 2021, 12:32:39 am »

Damn electric cars are expensive.  I'm starting to try and look at the available models.  First of all there are almost no sedans. I don't want a CUV, SUV, or truck dammit.

I mean, even the unattractive Chevy Bolt starts at like $31k.

Sedans are all in the stupid-expensive range; the only one that isn't stupid-expensive (just merely "expensive") is Tesla, but I refuse to even consider Tesla, too much hubris.
Spoiler: I'm not alone (click to show/hide)

EDIT to avoid double-post:

My trash service was sold again.  The one that bought our service doesn't even offer recycling.  This is the 4th waste service company we've had in 7 years.  Must be a tough business...
Technology isn't advanced enough yet. Maybe in 5 years.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #157720 on: July 08, 2021, 05:51:41 am »

Why would a sedan require better technology than a SUV or a truck? If anything I would've thought it would be the other way around.
Love, scriver~

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #157721 on: July 08, 2021, 07:29:38 am »

Dunno. Electric vehicle technology is pretty mature already.  It's not even really that expensive - I mean if they would just sell me a car without all the infotainment, ADAS computers, and other electrical things* that cost more than their mechanical equivalents, they would be able to get the price down to where I want it.

Also holy crap; average new car purchase transactions in the US are now over $41k!  This is so high that used car prices have gone up apparently 30% in the past year.  In fact it's a weird situation where some used cars (purchased in the last year or two) are now worth more than they were new!

Apparently most of the new car prices are, according to some news articles, due to the public's foolishness: "Another factor lifting the average car price: Car buyers' desire for more expensive trucks and SUVs, rather than less expensive sedans. Consumers also want more expensive features, such as automatic braking and lane departure warnings, which boost prices, too."  These are all things I DO NOT WANT.  Due to the general public demand, though, manufacturers aren't making what I want...  and cars are not really something you can get "to order" if you're middle-class.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157722 on: July 08, 2021, 07:37:30 am »

Oh I totally get your position: Give me the simplest electrical car. No board computer just a accelerometer, a radio, some vent, not even electrical window lifters... Electro engine is way simpler so as long as you can change tires and breaks Im sure you'd be on top of most maintenance work, especially if theyre not hiding the battery.
let

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #157723 on: July 08, 2021, 08:02:19 am »

I think batteries are a major driving point for the price - maybe the smaller sedan makes it tougher to fit in the kilowatt-hours they want?

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #157724 on: July 08, 2021, 08:11:20 am »

Dunno. Electric vehicle technology is pretty mature already.  It's not even really that expensive - I mean if they would just sell me a car without all the infotainment, ADAS computers, and other electrical things* that cost more than their mechanical equivalents, they would be able to get the price down to where I want it.

Pretty sure back-up cams are required these days, so you need the info tablet either way.  Even my 20k car has one.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again
Pages: 1 ... 10513 10514 [10515] 10516 10517 ... 10983