Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10515 10516 [10517] 10518 10519 ... 10980

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13140157 times)

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #157740 on: July 08, 2021, 07:57:11 pm »

Most of those "manual mode automatics" are terrible.  My wife's car has it, and there is a terrible lag as the transmission computer tries to figure out what I requested. I think it's because automatic transmissions are just fundamentally sluggish when shifting due to torque converters and other nonsense instead of a nice simple friction clutch.

There are a few cars that are true "automatic manuals" in that they have what amounts to a manual gearbox and clutch, just with actuators that can shift way faster than a human, and usually come with F-1 style paddle shifters.  Those cars tend to be extremely expensive though.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #157741 on: July 08, 2021, 08:05:28 pm »

One of the cars had a most unusual addition, the purpose of which is lost on me. You could push the stick over, and treat your automatic transmission like a manual. Almost caused an accident on the test drive because I didn't know that was a thing.
Hehe, a young friend of mine had a car like that, and he thought that meant he could operate my manual transmission.

His car broke down one day, and I offered to loan him mine.  Once it became clear he had never operated a clutch pedal in his life, and my best explanation wasn't exactly sticking for him, we agreed explore other options without leaving the parking lot.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #157742 on: July 08, 2021, 08:16:59 pm »

Most of those "manual mode automatics" are terrible.  My wife's car has it, and there is a terrible lag as the transmission computer tries to figure out what I requested. I think it's because automatic transmissions are just fundamentally sluggish when shifting due to torque converters and other nonsense instead of a nice simple friction clutch.
From what I understand that's just flatly untrue these days, actually? Apparently they got autos transitioning as well or better than manuals (especially in the case of most and most drivers) a good few years back.

More likely the extra showoff thing just doesn't work that well 'cause it's there for display more than function :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #157743 on: July 08, 2021, 08:53:17 pm »

Modern automatic transmissions are superior to manuals in every way - more efficient, faster responding, and even cheaper to make.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #157744 on: July 08, 2021, 09:56:40 pm »

Yeah the modern CVT is great for efficiency, though a lot of it is wasted by simulating gear shifts, because consumers expect gear shifts in cars.

Although the Shift-Yourself "sport mode" they do is a complete waste of time.  The car will still auto-shift when it "needs" to anyway, there's no real benefit to shifting yourself other than pure whimsy.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #157745 on: July 08, 2021, 10:16:29 pm »

Modern automatic transmissions are superior to manuals in every way - more efficient, faster responding, and even cheaper to make.

But how else will you get absolute control over the car? That's a common argument for manual transmissions.

I see a common thread with computers, too, this notion of 'absolute control'; that's why people use Arch, operate within the command-line exclusively, and program in C or assembly. Not sure why it keeps showing up. Even when it's inefficient-- C compilers optimize the everloving hell out of code on modern systems, because a direct translation is actually really inefficient for computers of today. Your computer is not a fast PDP-11.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #157746 on: July 09, 2021, 01:56:23 am »

Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #157747 on: July 09, 2021, 03:15:06 am »

IF THEY DIE IN THE GAME
THEY DIE IN REAL LIFE
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157748 on: July 09, 2021, 03:46:24 am »

IF THEY DIE IN THE GAME
THEY DIE IN REAL LIFE
Virtual people are real people!
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #157749 on: July 09, 2021, 03:49:39 am »

IF THEY DIE IN THE GAME
THEY DIE IN REAL LIFE
Games are bad, they make you mad!
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #157750 on: July 09, 2021, 06:20:28 am »

IF THEY DIE IN THE GAME
THEY DIE IN REAL LIFE
Games are bad, they make you mad!
Violent video games don't cause violence.

Paradox allied AI causes violence.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #157751 on: July 09, 2021, 07:32:48 am »

Paradox games' random events cause paradoxes.
Humans cause violence.
Humans also cause video games.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157752 on: July 09, 2021, 07:42:26 am »

For normal street driving this is true. If you're trying to manipulate torque for weird stuff like drifting it's good to be able to downshift at will, but that's not a typical use case.

The absolute control thing is certainly part of it, after all, automatic systems can and do fail. Personally I don't need another thing to keep track of while driving, so I prefer automatics, but I get it.

And MathAndCode there is wrong. You're a war criminal just for playing video games period. How many innocent goombas have you squished?

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157753 on: July 09, 2021, 07:51:35 am »

Aren’t the good as soldiers though? Yes crushing them is overkill

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157754 on: July 09, 2021, 09:50:07 am »

Aren’t the good as soldiers though? Yes crushing them is overkill
Soldiers? They're just hanging out in their nice grassy home, then suddenly a wild plumber appears, steals their coins, mushrooms, flowers, and stars, looking for a princess that isn't even there, and kills everyone he encounters!

At least, that applies in SMB 1. I guess the koopas were the aggressors in mario 64, but at that point it's just a cycle of revenge.

No, I'm not serious.

Pages: 1 ... 10515 10516 [10517] 10518 10519 ... 10980