Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10516 10517 [10518] 10519 10520 ... 10980

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13140590 times)

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #157755 on: July 09, 2021, 10:16:39 am »

There is a pacifist speed run of super Mario bros 1, a pacifist no coins speed run, or as one of the comments called it, a Buddhist speed run

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157756 on: July 09, 2021, 10:22:58 am »

There is a pacifist speed run of super Mario bros 1, a pacifist no coins speed run, or as one of the comments called it, a Buddhist speed run
That's funny. If I'm remembering my smb 1 glitches correctly, if you hit the axe on the bridge at the same time as koopa touched you, something weird would happen. If you were big mario, you'd trigger a weird glitch where getting a mushroom turned you small, getting hit while small turned you big, and getting a fireflower (Which you can only now do when small) made you stay small, except when you shot a fireball, then you'd turn big for a moment.

The second thing that could happen was if you hit koopa and the axe at the same time while small. Then, you'd die, the death music plays, but also the screen scrolls over to toad/the princess, and you go to the next level. I believe you did lose a life in the process however.

Did one of those methods not actually drop koopa in the lava? Otherwise how do you do a full pacifist run?

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157757 on: July 09, 2021, 10:59:35 am »

It’s been a while since I saw the video but I think it was more like not killing any henchmen, only attacking Bowser, the one who did the kidnapping, pacifist is the wrong word, a run avoiding unnecessary kills would be more accurate

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157758 on: July 09, 2021, 11:50:00 am »

It’s been a while since I saw the video but I think it was more like not killing any henchmen, only attacking Bowser, the one who did the kidnapping, pacifist is the wrong word, a run avoiding unnecessary kills would be more accurate
I know i'm getting off in the weeds here analyzing the morality of SMB, but are the koopas in worlds 1-7 actually guilty of kidnap? Did they kidnap toad or does he just live in the castles? He thanks you when you come to see him but maybe he's just scared you're gonna chuck him in the lava like you just did to his boss.

I suppose canonically mario never kills koopa, so I guess falling in the lava is just an inconvenience for him. With that view just dropping koopa in the lava could be seen as pacifistic.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #157759 on: July 09, 2021, 01:24:14 pm »

Worry not, they'll all go go-karting later.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #157760 on: July 09, 2021, 01:30:39 pm »

Goombas are turncoats and the citizens of the kingdom are blocks and coins and things, raising moral questions about busting up bricks for that extra 1-up.

Here's the manual!

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157761 on: July 09, 2021, 02:09:31 pm »

Well, there you go I guess. Poor goombas, are they really traitors or were they just doing what they had to to survive and not get turned to bricks and coins?

But the fact that the bricks and coins are the old residents is messed up. How many lives did I shatter in my pursuit of 1-ups?

Thank you for the link. That's some nostalgia!

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #157762 on: July 09, 2021, 02:19:44 pm »

That's all nice and well, but why is the green thwomp in jail?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #157763 on: July 09, 2021, 02:38:00 pm »

Flying back from Dallas to Minneapolis, when a stewardess brought us our drinks, she noted that almost a week ago, we were laid over in MSP for more than 5 hours and she hoped we were having a better flight experience this time.

Never in 20+ years of flying have I ever had a rando flight attendant mention a previous flight of mine that sucked. Gave me a slight “Big Brother” vibe. Maybe she was on that flight and recognized me and my boss.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2021, 01:10:34 am by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157764 on: July 09, 2021, 02:48:37 pm »

Flying back from Dallas to Minneapolis, when a stewardess brought us our drinks, she noted that almost a week ago, we were laid over in MSP for more than 5 hours and she hoped we were having a better flight experience this.

Never in 20+ years of flying have I ever had a rando flight attendant mention a previous flight of mine that sucked. Gave me a slight “Big Brother” vibe. Maybe she was on that flight and recognized me and my boss.
That's funny, because last time I flew the stewardess said "I hope you behave better on this flight than you did at that Chinese restaurant 33 years ago!

At the time I didn't think anything of it but now you've got my gears turning :P

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #157765 on: July 10, 2021, 12:52:53 am »

Somehow, in all the years I've been reading, today is the first day I've encountered the concept of a fruit bat vampire, at least as far as I can remember. Instead of blood, it drinks fruit juice to live.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #157766 on: July 10, 2021, 01:11:32 am »

Somehow, in all the years I've been reading, today is the first day I've encountered the concept of a fruit bat vampire, at least as far as I can remember. Instead of blood, it drinks fruit juice to live.

Brace yourself for unexpected animal cuteness overload.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157767 on: July 10, 2021, 03:38:25 am »

Sounds like the perfect brand mascott. Ican se the halloween fonts in my head but pain to come up with a pun because count chocula is taking too much real estate.
let

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #157768 on: July 10, 2021, 04:27:55 am »

Pretty sure there are no true vampire bats eating fruits/sucking their juices. Plenty of other bats do though, it’s one of the major niches for bats, the other being eating flying insects.

Vampire bats are hyperspecialized wierdos in their own taxa. They can run and jump, they can sense infrared radiation, they have anticoalugant saliva, and their digestion system runs water through to the bladder at a hyper-rapid rate, so they can excrete half of the fluid of a feeding before takeoff.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #157769 on: July 10, 2021, 09:37:33 am »

That's all nice and well, but why is the green thwomp in jail?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Racism.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister
Pages: 1 ... 10516 10517 [10518] 10519 10520 ... 10980