Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10517 10518 [10519] 10520 10521 ... 10980

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13150037 times)

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #157770 on: July 10, 2021, 09:48:23 am »

That's all nice and well, but why is the green thwomp in jail?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Racism.
Lichen can grow on rocks, which thwomps are made of. Since lichens are a symbiotic relationship between a plant and a fungus, perhaps Bowser is worried that lichens are helping the toads, maybe Bowser doesn’t know that lichen don’t eat rocks and keeps the thwomp there to keep other thwomps from getting “infected”? It’s possible Bowser doesn’t know a whole lot about biology

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #157771 on: July 10, 2021, 09:53:32 am »

Maybe he's a blue thwomp, but he peed all over himself and his cell? Look at that expression and tell me he didn't.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #157772 on: July 10, 2021, 10:53:45 am »

A better question is WTF is he looking at up there
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #157773 on: July 10, 2021, 11:36:02 am »

A better question is WTF is he looking at up there

Nothing. That's just his eyes rolling back into his head from the sheer pleasure of urinating on everything.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157774 on: July 10, 2021, 12:39:15 pm »

He probably misses being able to go back to an indent in the ceiling. His cell probably doesn’t have that.
Question, if Kamek can make thwomps, why not make the castle alive? Imagine playing as Mario and having to jump over mouths opening and closing and having to dodge tongues making your way to the brain where Bowser, Kamek and Peach are at to avoid being killed by the castle, and also so Kamek can reign it in.
Now I want a game where Kamek teaches the player (a Koopa apprentice) the ways of magic or a game that takes place in the past about when Kamek first learned magic

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #157775 on: July 10, 2021, 01:01:31 pm »

I'm pretty sure I've seen the living castle thing in some fan game or another, actually.

If you want one where Mario picks up some extra magic, there's apparently a metroidvania one called Mariovania which plays with that a bit. Dunno if there's much starring Kamek in the various mario junk, though...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157776 on: July 10, 2021, 01:17:08 pm »

Kamek played a pretty big role in the classic flash game "Super Mario 63". Check it out, it's one of the best flash games ever made.

No magic though... so perhaps this post isn't really contributing much.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #157777 on: July 10, 2021, 06:46:18 pm »

That’s a blue thwomp in a yellow-lighted room...

But to add to the ”magic koopas” track there’s also Super Mario 64 and Bowser Jr’s whole shtick in Sunshine. Koopa magic seems to be pretty consistently related to walls, bricks, and paintings. Not to mention Kamek actually animating the castles during the boss battles in the new 2D mario games (and iirc some world 8 stages as well?). And normal Magikoopas shoot balls of magic that while deadly to mario, also transform bricks into enemies.

The only exception to this rule I can think of are the red/green/white magikoopas found in Glitzville in Paper Mario and the Thousand Years Door, but they are arena fighters, and probably not part of Bowser’s army. I bet they’re renegades who have studied magic elsewhere, straying from the Koopa path.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #157778 on: July 11, 2021, 06:54:56 pm »

I've had an adventure and a half compiling fortune-mod. First, I tried Windows. Gave up on that, decided to go for Linux. There were some dependencies I had to install, including some Perl stuff, docbooks (which I eventually realized could be installed by just installing docbook-xsl and docbook-xsl-ns, available at all your favorite package managers).

And then the, er, "special" fortune file I was making just would not work. Here's the output:

Code: [Select]
"special.dat" created
There was 1 string
Longest string: 1731 bytes
Shortest string: 1731 bytes

I can tell you right now that the file is not, in fact, one long 1731-byte quote.

I BSed around in this using strfile to check if it's doing anything funky, then I copied in the contents of a different fortune file, and it actually just broke like this too. I realized that if opened it in Nano, it was saving my "special" file in DOS format.

So what if: DOS format is breaking the file? So I went into Nano, went to save it, and deselected DOS format while saving. And only now it works.

Code: [Select]
"special.dat" created
There were 7 strings
Longest string: 484 bytes
Shortest string: 42 bytes

WTF, strfile? Aren't you supposed to be portable? Why should a little bit of Carriage Return mess so badly with a program that looks for percent symbols as delimiters? I think it's because it's using a single char instead of a char[2] array, hence why CR-LF breaks it so bad. I can now confirm that it works properly, thank fuck.

Hey, if anyone wants to patch Windows and Mac format support into strfile and commit it into the official repo, be my guest.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #157779 on: July 11, 2021, 07:07:24 pm »

Dunno if there's much starring Kamek in the various mario junk, though...

Kamek is mainly in the Yoshi's Island games, apparently as the caretaker of young baby bowser.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #157780 on: July 12, 2021, 12:31:58 pm »

ProctorU

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157781 on: July 12, 2021, 12:33:18 pm »

Kamek is mainly in the Yoshi's Island games, apparently as the caretaker of young baby bowser.

Yeah but isn't one of those where he alters reality in order to change the physical state of an entire landmass and all its inhabitants?

If this were DnD Kamek would be a God.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #157782 on: July 12, 2021, 05:44:49 pm »

Yeah but isn't one of those where he alters reality in order to change the physical state of an entire landmass and all its inhabitants?

I mean a level 20 wizard can out-god a lot of gods.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157783 on: July 12, 2021, 06:11:30 pm »

I love thst out god is a verb. Has anyone ever made a Mario themed DND campaign? Imagine wizards/warlocks/rouges and such entering the Mushroom a kingdom at some point, probably through a portal in a mushroom forest/cave

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157784 on: July 12, 2021, 06:41:44 pm »

I love thst out god is a verb. Has anyone ever made a Mario themed DND campaign? Imagine wizards/warlocks/rouges and such entering the Mushroom a kingdom at some point, probably through a portal in a mushroom forest/cave

If Dwarf Fortress has a Mushroom Kingdom mod, you can bet DnD has something.

Google says: https://www.gmbinder.com/share/-LNmeTe3Gjz0AFGi2rDL
Pages: 1 ... 10517 10518 [10519] 10520 10521 ... 10980