Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10518 10519 [10520] 10521 10522 ... 10980

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13145283 times)

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #157785 on: July 12, 2021, 06:49:17 pm »

Actually, a dungeon based around mario 64 could be fun, with magic paintings leading to various demiplanes scattered about the dungeon.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #157786 on: July 12, 2021, 07:32:54 pm »

A Veritasium Gem - but the WTF starts at about timestamp 29:25.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #157787 on: July 13, 2021, 05:16:29 am »

A Veritasium Gem

"There is a hole at the bottom of math... A hole that means we will never know everything with certainty"

Including, hilariously, that statement. Which is very apt, considering.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #157788 on: July 13, 2021, 06:21:39 am »

A Veritasium Gem

"There is a hole at the bottom of math... A hole that means we will never know everything with certainty"

Including, hilariously, that statement. Which is very apt, considering.

Actually no - the Incompleteness Theorem is one of the things we can know with certainty - so long as our system is Consistent. It's only if the system isn't consistent can we make no statements.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #157789 on: July 13, 2021, 04:29:21 pm »

Apparently Company of Heroes 3 is a thing, just out of the blue they kicked out a pre-alpha thing that a bunch of folks streamed. Looks pretty good for a pre-alpha.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157790 on: July 13, 2021, 11:30:54 pm »

Actually no - the Incompleteness Theorem is one of the things we can know with certainty - so long as our system is Consistent.

Well, so long as we can axiomatize a copy of the natural numbers in the system.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #157791 on: July 13, 2021, 11:34:12 pm »

The godel system did that, yes.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #157792 on: July 14, 2021, 03:33:13 am »

Math sits on a throne of lies!
Love, scriver~

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #157793 on: July 14, 2021, 03:43:04 am »

Actually no - the Incompleteness Theorem is one of the things we can know with certainty - so long as our system is Consistent. It's only if the system isn't consistent can we make no statements.

That sounds like a mindfuck. The statement that you can't decide if all statements are true in a consistent system, is itself decidable. The statement that you can't know everything is one of the statements that you can say is true.

I mean, phrased that way, it sounds obvious, but I wasn't expecting it to be formally proven!

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #157794 on: July 14, 2021, 04:54:54 am »

Gentle reminder that the Incompleteness Theorems don't actually tell us about truth - they tell us about derivability in formal systems. Truth is a semantic notion, and is generally thought about in terms of (intended) models when it comes to formal systems.

It's also very much an open question whether the theorems actually tell us something about knowledge in mathematics. If you think something like Hilbert's Program is necessary for us to know mathematical statements, then yes, they do tell us something about knowledge in mathematics. I suspect many mathematicians would disagree with that. I'd say that I know that Robinson arithemetic is consistent - I just can't offer you a proof in finitary arithmetic!
One wheel short of a wagon

TheSteppeWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Надад чонын сэтгэл байна
    • View Profile
« Reply #157795 on: July 14, 2021, 05:10:00 am »

IS THERE A FUCKNG "THINGS THAT MADE YOU PAIN TODAY' THREAD?

Today I fucking fell on my ass onto concrete because I tripped and I broke BY FUCKING TAILBONE AND IM IN AGONE AND IM GOING TO THE HOSPITAL NW THE PAIN IS BLINDING
Those who stomp on Mongolian land, will leave their lives on Mongolian doorstep.

TheSteppeWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Надад чонын сэтгэл байна
    • View Profile
« Reply #157796 on: July 14, 2021, 05:10:37 am »

Sorry I can't type straight
Those who stomp on Mongolian land, will leave their lives on Mongolian doorstep.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #157797 on: July 14, 2021, 05:19:43 am »

That's a yikes from me.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #157798 on: July 14, 2021, 07:27:18 am »

Ouch.

My laundry machine failed yesterday, taking a portion of the house's electric installation.
No breakers fell, but I still tried resetting the ones, whose circuits were off. Nothing. I checked fuses, all were at 0 Ω.

I was calling electricians if they were willing to come and fix it. 3 refused.
Then I called a fourth and he told me to try resetting all breakers, not just the offending ones.

And it helped! I am not going to try the laundry machine again, but everything else works.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157799 on: July 14, 2021, 01:10:01 pm »

Gentle reminder that the Incompleteness Theorems don't actually tell us about truth - they tell us about derivability in formal systems. Truth is a semantic notion, and is generally thought about in terms of (intended) models when it comes to formal systems.

It's also very much an open question whether the theorems actually tell us something about knowledge in mathematics. If you think something like Hilbert's Program is necessary for us to know mathematical statements, then yes, they do tell us something about knowledge in mathematics. I suspect many mathematicians would disagree with that. I'd say that I know that Robinson arithemetic is consistent - I just can't offer you a proof in finitary arithmetic!

*applause*
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".
Pages: 1 ... 10518 10519 [10520] 10521 10522 ... 10980