Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10533 10534 [10535] 10536 10537 ... 10974

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13000116 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #158010 on: August 04, 2021, 12:56:21 pm »

You have to understand that big time cryptominers aren't just leaving a single PC to idle all day. They buy up large numbers of components (leaving short supply for people who just want a computer for everyday use) and work them hard 24/7. This sucks up tremendous amounts of power, generates dangerous amounts of heat (which requires more power to try and cool lest your farm literally burn to the ground), and produces a staggering amount of e-waste from burned out components. All for some "currency" which most will not accept and could easily crash and vanish without a trace.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #158011 on: August 04, 2021, 12:59:14 pm »

Well, crytocurrency is accepted here in lots of places. Buth yeah, cryptomining at large scale I get it. But "gaming" computers....

What are you gaming? "Electric clamps to the testicles 2021" with the nipples DLC??
« Last Edit: August 04, 2021, 01:09:36 pm by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #158012 on: August 04, 2021, 01:24:47 pm »

(1)(2)(3)

Looks like the laws target prebuilt PCs exclusively with high idle power consumption, possibly and most specifically a handful of prebuilt Alienware models. Doesn't address cryptomining, or game consoles. Strictly a sales regulation. This pretty much won't affect anyone personally.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #158013 on: August 04, 2021, 02:06:42 pm »

(1)(2)(3)

Looks like the laws target prebuilt PCs exclusively with high idle power consumption, possibly and most specifically a handful of prebuilt Alienware models. Doesn't address cryptomining, or game consoles. Strictly a sales regulation. This pretty much won't affect anyone personally.
Oh then disregard my wtf!
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #158014 on: August 04, 2021, 02:07:49 pm »

Yeah that's another WTF in itself - laws are often written to encompass very specific implementations, rather than desirable goals.  This is intentional, but it often has annoying side effects like this.  Sometimes the side effects are worse than annoying and are instead outright detrimental.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158015 on: August 04, 2021, 03:37:10 pm »

I read that and think: "oh wow an american politician is litterally cheaper than a robust power infrastructure"
let

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #158016 on: August 04, 2021, 05:07:53 pm »

I read that and thought "well then we can afford to throw the guy in the unemployment office if he won't implement the power infrustructure" but I don't even know the context but that was very wtf.

I'm here because the county I work in is once again above the 10% infection rate mark for covid. So now we have to test everybody twice a week again, because this facility actually follows cdc guidelines. The guys next door purportedly have at least one sick resident in quarantine
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158017 on: August 04, 2021, 05:53:08 pm »

Somebody did the math and decided they'd rather have some legislation passed than service pesky energy spikes.

The requirements thus vary depending in the device's characteristics, but as a baseline, desktop computers, mobile gaming systems, and thin clients manufactured between January 1, 2019 and July 1, 2021 can consume no more than 50/80/100 kWh per year for ES scores of less than 250, 251-425, and 426-690 respectively.

So to me that looks like net consumption, not efficiency grades, unless there are ES scores that are excluded which doesn't seem clear. You know the fucking trick they keep passing urban panzers through regulation with: yes it's a fuel guzzler but look how efficient it is for it's weight class. Evenso I think it's safe to assume that server grade hardware will usually have the most efficient PSU so basically if there is a way to save a buck on a PSU for small customers 7 states say "no pesant". A hell of a lot more of the right people get a cut from those SUV status symbols, than that young people computer shit. Hell in a digital economy a computer might even act emancipatory, get a loan and drive a car to work instead. So yeah what an attractive target for some demand sided wag your finger at the endconsumer non-sense.
let

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #158018 on: August 04, 2021, 06:55:31 pm »

Cutting energy consumption is a pretty big deal. Not just for the integrity of the power grid - we need to check the rise in total usage to make transitioning from fossil fuels into an achievable goal. It also doesn't just affect PCs - this is primarily gamers just now noticing a set of regulations passed 5 years ago that is just now starting to affect them.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158019 on: August 04, 2021, 08:11:23 pm »

Ok I had to look it up the es score basically pertains to "how big of a motherboard you have", e stands for expendability. So this is pretty much a story about nothing actually, (should have known with the states namedropped in the titles but with vermont going to a burlington paper I could only count 1/3). Only computer manufacturers selling ready made computers fall under these regulations, and dell just failed to conform. Should they find themselves unable to game the es score, they'll just put in 80plus gold PSU, energy efficient ethernet, and idle power management to sell TEC exempt computers.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2021, 08:13:32 pm by dragdeler »
let

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #158020 on: August 04, 2021, 08:28:27 pm »

So this is pretty much a story about nothing

[Seinfeld Slap Bass]
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158021 on: August 05, 2021, 11:16:48 pm »

Would the future of air conditioning efficiency be in building homes that are well-insulated to both eachother and to the outside world, and then a computer monitors which rooms are occupied and which aren't, and only air conditions those rooms? You know, help take the load off the machines by only Air Conditioning the rooms that are relevant, and ignoring the rest of the home that doesn't matter.

I'm just thinking about it since I'm working at an energy company now, and holy fuck do people carelessly crank up their AC and get surprised when their electricity bill has gone up by $100 dollars or more. Granted, the pool of people that are under the company's umbrella is almost an entire state, so statistically speaking there's going to be careless people among the masses, and among those careless people there's going to be people that are surprised, and among those surprised people some portion of them are going to wind up calling me and yell at me about it; that seems like a statistical certainty, but I'm still a little flummoxed at how many it is.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158022 on: August 05, 2021, 11:23:55 pm »

It's mostly Dell's fault for not complying with the quite reasonable regulations like their competitors have despite having five whole years to do so and instead just deciding to not ship their products to certain states. There's no ban, or even a limit on power usage in general. Literally just the idle state is targeted, which is mainly the power supply's domain. (OEMs have a tendency to put really cheap inefficient power supplies in products to save a couple bucks.) PCs that arr DIY are also not affected. Buy a Sterling engine to power your own PC if you want.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2021, 11:26:26 pm by bloop_bleep »
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #158023 on: August 06, 2021, 09:24:06 am »

One of Digimon’s former writers got sucked into contemporary American conspiracy theories, so now there’s a discourse in the Digimon community whether Political Correctness is a canon Digimon.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158024 on: August 06, 2021, 11:03:45 am »

Since it takes time for the AC to have an effect, I doubt having the thing follow one´s movement is the way. When I try to picture how it could be better I kinda see a 2 layered house: concentrating all air conditioning and heating to the inner circle, where the most used rooms are, and much less energy spent on the outer ring... (note inside could also be in the cellar and outside ring above ground)

You might even be able to leverage the temperature difference with sterling engines, air pumps or such.

I remember seeing a documentary on australian settlers, they used to dig deep cellars to store stuff throughout the hot summer. An interviewee mentioned how angry her great granpa or whatever would get if the door to that cellar was kept open longer than necessary.

Also technology connections latest videos were all pretty much about this stuff, if this interests you.
let
Pages: 1 ... 10533 10534 [10535] 10536 10537 ... 10974