Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10534 10535 [10536] 10537 10538 ... 10973

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 12997924 times)

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #158025 on: August 06, 2021, 11:16:58 am »

Or you know, people not being idiots. If well insulated, having a room at 24c° which is the ideal temperature for humans is not that energy intensive. Combine that with shutting down AC devices when you are not in the room and it helps a lot.

Now, Im talking from my experience here, were 99% of the houses that do have AC have serveral window and/or split units, one for each room. Generally only for bedrooms btw. And we have a tropical climate that goes from mildly hot to fucking hot (and not in a good way).

Central heating/ac is rarely seen outside older or big office buildings and commerce in general.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158026 on: August 06, 2021, 11:25:56 am »

Also technology connections latest videos were all pretty much about this stuff, if this interests you.

I really like Technology Connections, though I think he's a little too snarky and could tone it down a little. His videos on heat pumps were really great. It really makes me think that not only should be we focusing on the transition towards renewable energy, but also on total energy efficiency throughout every part of society. Moving over to electric cars doesn't mean shit when creating those cars is still bad for the environment, and the energy for those cars still has to come from somewhere, and those cars are the least energy efficient means of moving people around.

Though of course changing that would mean overhauling all of American society, and redesigning it from the ground up with goals for energy efficiency in mind. I'm just really high on this rabbit hole of urban planner youtubers I've fallen into.

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #158027 on: August 06, 2021, 07:05:05 pm »

no seriously linux what the FUCK

my microphone goes dead if i push anything on my keyboard

literally

fucking

anything

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158028 on: August 07, 2021, 08:12:20 am »

Anything is when you capitalize the any key right?
let

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #158029 on: August 07, 2021, 08:43:12 am »

no seriously linux what the FUCK

my microphone goes dead if i push anything on my keyboard

literally

fucking

anything

Something something external appliances only allowing certain amounts of input crowding eachother out something something
Love, scriver~

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #158030 on: August 08, 2021, 10:53:01 am »

I appear to have become allergic to my Fitbit.

I get a big, angry, itchy rash that sticks around for days whenever I wear it now. I've washed and disinfected the strap to see if maybe it was harboring some kind of fungal infection that my skin is at odds with, but beyond that I'm not entirely sure what the problem could be.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158031 on: August 08, 2021, 12:30:38 pm »

https://www.inquirer.com/news/towing-philadelphia-parking-authority-nightmare-20210319.html

I appear to have become allergic to my Fitbit.

I get a big, angry, itchy rash that sticks around for days whenever I wear it now. I've washed and disinfected the strap to see if maybe it was harboring some kind of fungal infection that my skin is at odds with, but beyond that I'm not entirely sure what the problem could be.

Yeah, unless it's metallic (some fabrics are, to prevent bateria/fungus from taking up residence) or jamming fibers into your skin, it shouldn't do that.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #158032 on: August 08, 2021, 01:44:10 pm »

https://www.inquirer.com/news/towing-philadelphia-parking-authority-nightmare-20210319.html
A Philadelphia courtesy tow — formally known as relocation towing — is when the Police Department, the PPA, or a private tow company moves legally parked vehicles to make room for a special event, utility work, or some other reason. The city’s failure to properly track the relocated vehicles has been a longtime problem —
And it gets *way* worse - the article is about those vehicles being towed to metered parking areas and then impounded, with the police apparently not aware or considered responsible for the vehicle's final destination.  Lots of smashed windows, too.

Definitely a WTF - how often is it really necessary to revoke parking rights from an area and tow all the cars out?  And drop them in metered parking areas with no notification to the owners?  So callous.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #158033 on: August 08, 2021, 01:49:32 pm »

The "You cant prove it was us!" aspect is the main theme.

The people in Philly need to do what the Russians do, and install redundant dash/vehicle cameras.  Preferably with GPS, and cloud based video storage. (so it can be accessed even after the car is impounded.)

Then you can see who the tow company is (the dashcam will record the tow truck in front of the vehicle, towing it), the people involved in parking it at the illegal destination, the police officer(s) involved in the ticketing process, and who is smashing windows.

It would be a game changer on accountability in this mess, since it is clearly a racketeering job.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158034 on: August 08, 2021, 02:48:11 pm »

Is not easier to just have a couple officers clear out the area of cars calling their owners or something. And for special events simply put some signs the day before or something.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158035 on: August 09, 2021, 11:12:11 am »

The "You cant prove it was us!" aspect is the main theme.

The people in Philly need to do what the Russians do, and install redundant dash/vehicle cameras.  Preferably with GPS, and cloud based video storage. (so it can be accessed even after the car is impounded.)

Then you can see who the tow company is (the dashcam will record the tow truck in front of the vehicle, towing it), the people involved in parking it at the illegal destination, the police officer(s) involved in the ticketing process, and who is smashing windows.

It would be a game changer on accountability in this mess, since it is clearly a racketeering job.

You haven't seen a cop around a recording device before, have you? They know better than to allow evidence to exist.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #158036 on: August 09, 2021, 11:36:08 pm »

If they make the vehicles disappear and do not tell the owner, should it not be considered a theft? That is, the tow company or police, whoever gave the order to tow the legally parked vehice, stole it and should not only be accountable for wherever it ends up, but also get in trouble for stealing it in the first place.

Of course, the moment the owner finds out it is missing, they should report it as stolen.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #158037 on: August 10, 2021, 05:43:36 am »

Ah, good old windows update fuckery. When you're forced to install an update and you just know it's going to fuck something up.

And then your sound isn't working for no discernible reason :I

Edit:

Aaand it seems only reverting this shitting thing to a previous version would fix it. Also it seems that the update made it so you couldn't get rid of Edge, so that's an extra bonus reason for reverting.

Can't wait for the system to start shitting itself and screaming that I HAVE TO UPDATE NOW!!!1!1!! again tho :I
« Last Edit: August 10, 2021, 06:07:16 am by Jopax »
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158038 on: August 10, 2021, 12:10:40 pm »

((I think there’s a way to turn auto updates off))

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158039 on: August 10, 2021, 12:57:44 pm »

Oh, there are pathways to many abilities some consider to be unnatural.
Pages: 1 ... 10534 10535 [10536] 10537 10538 ... 10973