Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10541 10542 [10543] 10544 10545 ... 10973

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 12998011 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #158130 on: August 25, 2021, 01:45:17 pm »

The principle of any defense lawyer should be to never turn down a request, no matter how horrible the deeds of the client. That's like... The very basis of a functioning constitutional state. Every suspect has a right to be legally represented.

If a lawyer can't stomach that, they should not become a defense lawyer. There's plenty of vacancies to be filled in other parts of the judicial system.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2021, 01:48:33 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #158131 on: August 25, 2021, 02:32:25 pm »

Aye, everyone deserves their day in court with professional representation. If the defense attorney were, say, a minor celebrity by way of actively choosing to represent awful, rich sleaze (the impeachment defense in the US Senate springs to mind) or threw defense behind terrorists of similar ideology on the regular, I'd raise an eyebrow.

Dunno anything about the guy though, sorry.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158132 on: August 25, 2021, 02:44:43 pm »

I've seen a sentiment from Defense Attorney's that their job is to represent their client as best they can, even when they think their client is guilty, because if they don't do it properly then the client may be able to get the result of the case overturned later on. If the Defense does everything right and the client is still found guilty then they have no grounds to appeal against the result of the trial on the basis of being improperly represented.

If for some reason the attorney can't bring themselves to defend someone then they have an ethical duty to recuse themself rather than actively sabotaging the validity of the proceedings by representing the client poorly. Conversely if you can defend someone properly you have a duty to do so regardless of your opinion of them and their guilt, because otherwise the process might be done wrong and get invalidated down the line.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #158133 on: August 25, 2021, 07:32:11 pm »

These are good points: Everyone has a right to actual legal counsel (particularly defense) and an intentionally weak defense could get the case thrown out. 

There's another perspective, that the justice system relies on defense lawyers willing to defend guilty parties.  Even ones who are completely honest with their lawyers.  Without an attorney willing to take up that role, the "devil's advocate" in a way, there can be no proper trial.  Without a *zealous* defense then even the most obvious crime can't actually be judged properly.  "We all know they did it" is what a mob says, not a jury.

I can't imagine what it must do to a person to defend people guilty of murder and other heinous crimes.  But there's an honor in it.  Literally, someone has to do it, and *actually try*, or the justice system completely falls apart.  Because if the "obvious" criminals don't get a proper defense, then suddenly a lot of innocent people disappear into prison.

(also access to justice in the USA is fucking horrible and we're very much feeling the effects of it.  Public defenders are overworked and often derided, the work often being a onerous consequence of law school scholarships or being at the ground floor of a firm.)  "Justice" for those who can pay, and a show trial for those who appear guilty.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #158134 on: August 26, 2021, 03:46:59 pm »

Quote from: A climate website
Energy production contributes to tens of thousands of premature U.S. deaths each year

I'm all for conservation and "being green," but that's a sensationalist headline if there ever was one.  I mean how many premature deaths are prevented by having electricity.  I'm sure it's more than "tens of thousands."

You could have the same information in the article but presented in a more positive way, something like "Although energy prevents a lot of premature deaths, we can prevent even more if we increase utilization of less-polluting methods."

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #158135 on: August 26, 2021, 04:35:41 pm »

We're, uh, not going to just 'not produce energy' though. Drinking water prevents a lot of premature death, too (i do rather enjoy not dehydrating), but that's not the point of discussion if you're trying to talk about water conservation and aquifer depletion. They're just not things you're going to go without.

We need energy production or the world as we know it collapses. That might be sensationalist, too, but that's reality, so we can take it for granted that it needs to exist. Current production methods contribute to tens of thousands of premature deaths each year, per the website quip. Ergo, the point of discussion, already accepting that energy production is necessary, keeps society functioning, saves lives, etc., is that current methods need improvement to improve lifespans.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #158136 on: August 26, 2021, 05:17:27 pm »

out of those 10,000 at least one was a ritual sacrifice to keep the wind turbines turning.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158137 on: August 26, 2021, 05:18:16 pm »

Just randomly got logged out of these forums somehow. Might've accidentally clicked on the logout button, I dunno.

...I don't think I've ever actually had to log into my account here in years.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Laterigrade

• Bay Watcher
  • Is that a crab with
    • View Profile
« Reply #158138 on: August 26, 2021, 11:46:16 pm »

Relax kids.  you were okay when people were talking about professional lube.  Somebody mentions improvising 15 years ago and you get the willies?

Does your dick still smell like fruit?
ijub I like that you’re very new to this forum and you’ve already found a great sig-quote. I love the sigs in this forum, it shows you the ‘major players’ (so to speak) and the layers of history it has, and lets you comb and comb through the past, find the big threads and their controversies. I mostly identify people not by their avatar but by their sig.
and the quadriplegic toothless vampire killed me effortlessly after that
bool IsARealBoy = false
dropping clothes to pick up armor and then dropping armor to pick up clothes like some sort of cyclical forever-striptease
if a year passes, add one to age; social experiment

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #158139 on: August 27, 2021, 06:42:35 am »

Do you have a sigthread post yet?   :P

#sigtext
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158140 on: August 27, 2021, 07:17:55 am »

I mostly identify people not by their avatar but by their sig.

Of course you do. Most people don't have avatars anymore. Or is it just me?
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #158141 on: August 27, 2021, 07:25:35 am »

Some folks have lost theirs, yeah. I know I haven't been arsed to fix mine ever since upl.co went down.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #158142 on: August 27, 2021, 07:42:26 am »

I mostly identify people not by their avatar but by their sig.

Of course you do. Most people don't have avatars anymore. Or is it just me?

You still have an avatar to me.

Do I still have an avatar?
Love, scriver~

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #158143 on: August 27, 2021, 07:44:45 am »

You do.  A two-pronged mythos crab A gaggle of 67 pigeons.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #158144 on: August 27, 2021, 08:14:43 am »

I have an avatar, but most of it is in the fifth dimension.

(Credit Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.)
Pages: 1 ... 10541 10542 [10543] 10544 10545 ... 10973