Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10544 10545 [10546] 10547 10548 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13173144 times)

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #158175 on: August 29, 2021, 06:08:48 am »

I... can't believe no one knows how to repair a hinge. Unless it's some not Euclidean piece of machinery straight from the mountain of madness or some top secret electronic thing.

I will fix it for you in no time, for the bargain price of 3 plane tickets, one of them for a 4 years old!

I would go alone but they are my emotional support family.
The issue is that it's a weird, fucky hinge with mechanisms running down the length of the door itself to allow it to go between window and door mode, and no-one knows how to fix these mechanisms, so the door is left leaning on one hinge the vast majority of the time, until the one hinge gave up, something snapped off of something else, and we don't have the parts to fix it because we aren't in Austria. Ideally, we would just get a better door, but we're poor, otherwise I'd happily pay for your tickets, although as mentioned this is euclidian machinery from the mountains of madness rather than normal door machinery, so you might not be able to do much to help, although that's assuming that you aren't secretly(citation needed) a master of the ancient laws of the colours of time, and can operate such machinery with ease given enough time and a steady supply of goats to sacrifice. This post stopped being coherent a long time ago, I'm going to stop now before I drive someone insane.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #158176 on: August 29, 2021, 07:08:48 am »

Hoy smokes, Hurricane Ida.  :o

Much more trivial: Fourth mouse "trapped" in 3 nights.  I knew we had some but this is getting interesting. I wonder just how many there will be...

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #158177 on: August 29, 2021, 11:27:37 am »

What if you simply seal the window mode? Put some new hinges and leave it as a normal door?

I know it migth seem weird but I'm all worried about you and your family not having a door, it's too much dangerous.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2021, 11:29:08 am by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #158178 on: August 29, 2021, 08:39:05 pm »

We have one other door we can get in and out of, it's just a little bit more inconvenient. The door isn't missing either, it's still in its frame where it's always been, we just locked it and launched the keys into the sun to prevent temptation. As for just removing window mode entirely, that's much easier said than done, the mechanism runs right through the whole door from top to bottom, because of how the door handle works we could end locking it into place anyway. The door frame is also specially made for the door, so getting a new hinge that would fit both would be difficult, without even considering the nightmare it would be to detach the current hinge from the existing mechanisms in the first place. The list of problems just goes on and on... all I can really say about my door at the end of the day is that it is, has always been, and will likely always be, a nightmare, until we tear it to shreds,  sell the metal for scrap and put a new door where the old one used to be.
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #158179 on: August 30, 2021, 02:58:36 am »

The issue is that it's a weird, fucky hinge with mechanisms running down the length of the door itself to allow it to go between window and door mode
Is it the one with:
Handle down=closed
Handle horizontal=open door
Handle up=opens 15° along the floor
?
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #158180 on: August 30, 2021, 04:46:29 am »

Saw some dude on the Steam forums for a game I play, heavily pushing his half-assed guide that was part nonsensical and part flat-out wrong. I basically just ignored him for the most part, but he kept popping up in threads giving bad advice like he was the official resource for high-level play.

Curious to see just how long this obvious overexcited newbie had been playing the game, I took a peek at his profile and... Discovered he had almost twice as many hours in the game as I did.

wut

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #158181 on: August 30, 2021, 08:29:52 am »

The issue is that it's a weird, fucky hinge with mechanisms running down the length of the door itself to allow it to go between window and door mode
Is it the one with:
Handle down=closed
Handle horizontal=open door
Handle up=opens 15° along the floor
?
It is indeed.
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #158182 on: August 30, 2021, 10:22:14 am »

My grandpa had such door. I would not like to be the one fixing it if it broke.
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #158183 on: August 30, 2021, 03:59:45 pm »

Huh, those are fairly common here, but as balcony doors only, also almost all windows have that feature. Never seen one that wasn't a full glass type of deal.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158184 on: August 30, 2021, 06:50:39 pm »

Okay, now I need pictures of the darn thing. Not yours per se but I guess in internet there are manuals or pictures?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #158185 on: August 31, 2021, 03:13:12 am »

I would post images, but I have no idea what this type of door is even called, and I don't want to doxx myself any more than I already have on this forum. I think part of the issue is that these kinds of doors were not made to be used as front doors.
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158186 on: August 31, 2021, 04:07:16 am »

Sounds like you might be better off just ripping the thing out and replacing it.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #158187 on: August 31, 2021, 04:24:19 am »

It is called a "tilt and turn door".
Image of a part of the mechanism is in the spoiler.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158188 on: August 31, 2021, 01:23:44 pm »

Ahhrgghh what I am seeing??? From which bowels of hell that monstrosity was even conceived? However made that door was playing to be God!

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158189 on: August 31, 2021, 01:39:09 pm »

As vee glanze true the dreh&kipptür, the dreh&kipptür glanzes bahck into auer sole.
let
Pages: 1 ... 10544 10545 [10546] 10547 10548 ... 10983