Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10558 10559 [10560] 10561 10562 ... 10980

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13144264 times)

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #158385 on: October 07, 2021, 05:58:03 pm »

US military is not allowed to use lethal force on US soil / against US citizens.
That sounds really stupid.
It means that if someone broke into a military base in US and started killing people, they would not be allowed to defend themselves until the police arrives.

Sure, an army attacking it's own country should be prevented, but a full on ban on fighting on own soil sounds to me like a good way to get the army killed.
Relevant example: The 2009 Fort Hood shooting. Huge military base in Texas
Didn't stop until police neutralized the shooter.
Lines from news sources: "it is rare for firearms to be on the base because they are locked up." "As a matter of practice, we don't carry weapons here, this is our home"
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #158386 on: October 07, 2021, 06:25:28 pm »

Military forces are allowed to respond to an attack with deadly force, but often don't have the ability to unless they're designated guards. Attacks on domestic US military installations and personnel are so rare that such is rarely needed, and keeping the weapons locked up keeps somebody from trading his rifle for a fancy car or shooting his buddy while trying to pry open a can with his pistol.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #158387 on: October 08, 2021, 12:36:48 am »

As you guys may know, there are a lot of shirts in China with English on them that people don't know...exactly what it says. A couple students have had shirts that say "Bitchin'" or "Fuck off" which is all good fun.

This morning a woman came to the school with a shirt that just said "Cuck" in a plain font. Honestly very distracting.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #158388 on: October 08, 2021, 12:51:52 am »

I sorta only knew that as the meme of westerners with bad (or impaired) judgement getting kanji tattoos that turned out to be funny things.

I had no idea they do that with English over there.  Huh.
Like... I almost wonder if she's trying to brag that she can take people's boyfriends.  I can't imagine what details are lost in translation.  It sounds crazy, but young people wear the darnedest words sometimes.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #158389 on: October 08, 2021, 12:55:14 am »

As you guys may know, there are a lot of shirts in China with English on them that people don't know...exactly what it says. A couple students have had shirts that say "Bitchin'" or "Fuck off" which is all good fun.

This morning a woman came to the school with a shirt that just said "Cuck" in a plain font. Honestly very distracting.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #158390 on: October 08, 2021, 12:58:19 am »

Tattoos are pretty frequent here too. Luckily most are spelled correctly, but are just grammatically a mess, undoubtedly machine translated. "The dreaming pleasant of." for example.

I could clarify that this was a woman in her 40s, dropping off her kid. I am certain it wasn't at all intentional on her part.

Incredible, George
It says, "Chairman Mao is our heart's red sun"

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #158391 on: October 08, 2021, 09:24:17 am »

US military is not allowed to use lethal force on US soil / against US citizens.

(Well except if it is by presidentially decreed drone strike)
I don't think so; the US military is often consulted for things like air strikes, snipers, heavy vehicle assaults & troop deployments against US citizens (Marvin Heemeyer's Killdozer), mass assaults against entrenched positions (Waco Siege) and civil suppression (2021 United States Capitol attack, Kent State Shootings) whenever the need arises, without the need for consulting anyone higher than a state governor. Only drone strikes needed Presidential approval, and Trump delegated that authority to local military officers on an as per operational basis

*EDIT
Forgot about the 1992 Los Angeles riots
« Last Edit: October 08, 2021, 09:30:32 am by Loud Whispers »

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #158392 on: October 08, 2021, 01:20:43 pm »

Is that the military/army or the national guard?
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #158393 on: October 08, 2021, 01:40:54 pm »

Killdozer- Local Sheriff, Colorado State Patrol, SWAT team.  National Guard was considered but deemed unnecessary
Waco Seige- The ATF and the FBI
2021 United States Capitol attack - local Capitol Police, various national guards
Kent State Shootings- Ohio National Guard
1992 Los Angeles riots- Mostly LAPD, National Guard. US military infantry and marines were deployed after the Insurrection Act was invoked

Posse Comitatus Act is the primary law as it relates to usage of federal army troops domestically
« Last Edit: October 08, 2021, 01:44:22 pm by TamerVirus »
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158394 on: October 08, 2021, 04:56:13 pm »

Battle of Blair Mountain and MOVE bombing?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #158395 on: October 08, 2021, 05:30:57 pm »

Waco Seige- The ATF and the FBI

I actually heard the guy speak that advised the military not to send anyone to Waco.  So at least I can confirm no US Military Personnel were involved on that one.

And I remember when drone strikes couldn't officially target US citizens abroad.  Thanks Obama.

I mean, sure Trump did a lot of unilateral stuff, but Obama's administration laid the ground work.  That is why you DON'T create exceptions.  The road to hell is paved in good intentions.

Don't negotiate with terrorists.
Don't kill US citizens without Due Process.

We lost these under Obama's administration.  And we'll NEVER get them back.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #158396 on: October 08, 2021, 06:53:04 pm »

Move was entirely the Philadelphia police, and Blair Mountain had escalated to a full-on insurrection by the time Harding sent troops in. Sending in troops turned out to be a wise decision at Blair Mountain, because many of the miners were themselves veterans and were unwilling to fight the Federal soldiers. Pretty much all the killing was done by private parties, including all the airstrikes - stolen bombs were strapped to crop dusters and such to be dropped on the miners. On the ground, there was some involvment from the local National Guard, but the bulk of the opposition forces were off-duty cops that had been gathered by the mine owner as a private army.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #158397 on: October 08, 2021, 07:11:04 pm »

Here national guard is permanently deployed on the streets, guards checking points in highways and cities and are very VERY notoriously corrupt and criminal, racketeering and robbing people regularity at said checkpoints. Also killing lots of people in the protests.

Operationally they are on par but above national police and are the fourth branch of the national armed forces along the Army, the Navy and the Air Force, so they have things like wheeled armored vehicles and war equipment which they gladly use against unarmed civilians but chicken out the first moment somebody fires at them.

We also have GAES, DGSIM, FAES, and lots of other "special corps" that are civilian, military or mixed with the express job of fucking with us.

I know a dude that is on one of those and went from having basically nothing to own a hummer, several other cars and host wild and expensive parties weekly.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2021, 07:46:26 pm by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #158398 on: October 08, 2021, 07:31:48 pm »

National Guard means something fairly unique in the US - it is the armed forces organized by the states as a formalization of the old militia system (which doesn't prevent the formation of additional official militias, though those are usually unarmed). The Federal government provides some funding and the majority of equipment in exchange for being able to call the National Guard to Federal service in time of war. Being state troops rather than Federal units, they don't have the same degree of restrictions on use.

In the past, it was much more common for governors to pull them out as a form in intimidation against protestors and activists, but the willingness of Eisenhower to use Federal troops to support civil rights rulings (one of the rare exceptions to the "The US Federal Military cannot operate in the US" Posse Comitatus Act) has gone a long way towards suppressing that - few of the state NGs have any real chance against even a small Federal force. The most common domestic use of the National Guard in the modern era is providing manpower and equipment for disaster relief, but they still get called out for situations like riots that they are not really qualified for. This is what lead to things like Kent State - sending combat troops with live weapons to guard a student protest is a recipe for disaster, but usually the mark of incompetence rather than malice.

As an aside, the Branch Davidian leadership was not nice people or innocent victims. There's no evidence to say one way or another how the fatal fire got started, but taking out Koresh was a good goal. The attempts to turn Koresh - a mass-rapist and child abuser - into some kind of folk hero are sickening.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158399 on: October 08, 2021, 11:06:24 pm »

> Call pharmacy on Sunday, "we will fill your antidepressant prescription on Thursday"
> busy Thursday
> Go in this morning, "your prescription was deleted on Monday morning and we cannot give you medication." They fax the psychiatrist, supposedly.
> Call psychiatrist's office, "high call volume right now"
> Skip two morning classes and bike on the freeway to psychiatrist office, receptionist takes notes dutifully
> "Sometimes the system just deletes things"
> Evening, no prescription, never called back by psychiatrist's office, rationing medication. Had 2/3 of my normal dose today and have 2/3 of a normal dose left.

:[
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".
Pages: 1 ... 10558 10559 [10560] 10561 10562 ... 10980