Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10560 10561 [10562] 10563 10564 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13163553 times)

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #158415 on: October 10, 2021, 08:42:48 am »

It's often fucking Spectrum

fucking Spectrum, I tell you- every month, it's a new overengineered mail-sent 'Limited Time Offer' for the same goddamn offer of cable and home phone and bullshit, month after month. Guh, all that paper wasted. I need to phone in and tell them to knock that off. :\

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158416 on: October 10, 2021, 09:07:31 am »

It's often fucking Spectrum, which sucks because I have to listen long enough to confirm that they're just trying to upsell me on the cable TV and their streaming service AGAIN.  I feel sorry for the people in the call center (and obviously I don't take my frustration out on them - it's not like it's their fault personally, neither of us wants this interaction.  If it wasn't them, it'd be someone else).

Yeah, they told me I couldn't do cable anymore because they don't offer it at the newer place I live, so they raised my internet price, and now send junk mail twice a month to get me to go back to cable if I want the old internet price. Fake final notices, the whole bit. For a service they don't even offer.

Edit: Just took several minutes of getting increasingly angry at the shitty robot they force you to speak to if you need to pay your bill. They no longer accept pushing numbers, and the robot makes you guess what keywords you have to say to do anything. I could have avoided it, but the bill was due today, and I received it Friday. My bank takes a bit more time than that. Dropping Spectrum first thing Monday.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2021, 03:19:20 pm by Iduno »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #158417 on: October 10, 2021, 06:34:37 pm »

Can confirm, spectrum is a piece of shit to deal with. Spam mail and lies, and the internet service is just as bad as what I get off my phones wifi hotspot.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158418 on: October 10, 2021, 09:35:41 pm »

Every time I hear more about our for-profit prison system, the sadder it is.
https://twitter.com/bykenarmstrong/status/1446505198516535297

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #158419 on: October 10, 2021, 10:53:09 pm »

Extremely distressing that gray isn't "no data", but instead "no minimum"

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #158420 on: October 11, 2021, 12:07:46 am »

In the case of Little Timmy (2 yr old) vs Little Suzy (4yr old)--

We find overwhelmingly in favor of Little Suzy, and her claim that Little Timmy indecently exposed himself in public.  This court orders that Little Timmy be incarcerated for no less than 10 years, and further that he be placed on a sex-offender registry for his indecent acts.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #158421 on: October 11, 2021, 01:06:36 am »

Versus the entire world.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_of_criminal_responsibility

How can you even prosecute someone who can neither speak, nor read? I just imagine a toddler commiting accidental manslaughter and getting imprisoned.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #158422 on: October 11, 2021, 02:23:00 am »

How can you even prosecute someone who can neither speak, nor read? I just imagine a toddler commiting accidental manslaughter and getting imprisoned.

Culpability begins at conception.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #158423 on: October 11, 2021, 02:24:51 am »

We find overwhelmingly in favor of Little Suzy, and her claim that Little Timmy indecently exposed himself in public.  This court orders that Little Timmy be incarcerated for no less than 10 years, and further that he be placed on a sex-offender registry for his indecent acts.

Please don't tell me that really happened.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #158424 on: October 11, 2021, 02:31:27 am »

Please don't tell me that really happened.

While I DID pull that out of my ass, Poe's Law is strong.  I would not be surprised if that actually has in fact happened, somewhere in our bullshit system.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #158425 on: October 11, 2021, 06:58:40 am »

The defense just does the work without input from the accused, iirc. It comes up occasionally with folks with limited capacity of one sort or another, people who just aren't legally competent for whatever reason. Fairly common for trails involving kids even if they're physically capable of communication, far as I'm aware.

Not much different from any other trial where the defendant simply chooses to not take the stand or otherwise speak, really, or one where the defendant isn't there for whatever reason. Additional rules and regulations and whatnot but the court doesn't need your cooperation or capacity to convict you, obviously enough.

... anyway, quick check says the youngest age on the US sex offender list is around 8, so wierd wasn't far off :-\
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #158426 on: October 11, 2021, 07:05:45 am »

About a year ago, a guy who kept his kids secluded from the rest of the world for over 20 years (while claiming he was the new Jesus) and also sexually abused some of them, was freed of persecution and the case against him was dismissed, because after suffering a stroke he was no longer deemed capable of comprehending the accusations brought before him.

Over here someone who is severely mentally retarded / incapacitated cannot stand trial.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2021, 07:07:55 am by martinuzz »

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #158427 on: October 11, 2021, 07:11:28 am »

I mean, not to annoy people who love vengeance, but it sounds like he's been rendered incapable of harming someone anyways.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #158428 on: October 11, 2021, 07:19:32 am »

After he was released early this year, he was still capable enough to commit another sexual offense against his youngest child.
The court also dismissed this case, saying that, although proven beyond doubt that he did indeed sexually abuse his youngest child after being released from custody, the court has chosen not to walk the juridical path, but rather the path of mental healthcare.

He is currently being held in a closed ward. Experts describe him as having severe psychological issues, a severe personality disorder with narcistic, antisocial behaviour, and possible schizophrenia.
His 5 youngest children (out of 9 total) say they want to be reunited with him and want him to live with them again.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2021, 07:25:11 am by martinuzz »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158429 on: October 11, 2021, 08:16:31 am »

Good map.

Also, it's fairly difficult to defend successfully against charges that the (supposedly impartial) judge makes up on the spot. How do you defend against crimes that don't exist, you didn't know about, and there is no written information that says how to prove if they're guilty or innocent? Especially when the judge has already determined they're guilty. There's a reason there's a 48% conviction rate.
Pages: 1 ... 10560 10561 [10562] 10563 10564 ... 10983