Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10561 10562 [10563] 10564 10565 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13182028 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #158430 on: October 11, 2021, 09:08:02 am »

Every time I hear more about our for-profit prison system, the sadder it is.
https://twitter.com/bykenarmstrong/status/1446505198516535297

Just so I don't get things wrong here: This isn't a private company, right, this is the public county government using the jail as a money maker?
Love, scriver~

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158431 on: October 11, 2021, 10:04:24 am »

Every time I hear more about our for-profit prison system, the sadder it is.
https://twitter.com/bykenarmstrong/status/1446505198516535297

Just so I don't get things wrong here: This isn't a private company, right, this is the public county government using the jail as a money maker?

Yeeeeeees, but many prisons in the US are run for profit anyways. We lease out prisoners to companies as cheap labor (think a few cents per hour).
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #158432 on: October 11, 2021, 10:17:23 am »

I just want to make sure, because it makes it even scummier in my opinion.
Love, scriver~

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #158433 on: October 12, 2021, 12:55:53 am »

Shawshank Redemption style?
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #158434 on: October 12, 2021, 06:18:40 am »

Tiger used in gender reveal

Some people have more money than good sense

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158435 on: October 12, 2021, 07:46:01 am »

Eh, it's Dubai. Big cats aren't all that unusual to find as pets for the wealthy in parts of the Middle East, but especially Saudi Arabia as I understand. Tigers are also the most common pet big cat due to the success of captive breeding programs making them rather cheap. The article doesn't seem to say, but presumably the expectant parents rented the tiger from some sort of entertaiment group that caters to the tourism industry.

It's still a generally stupid thing to have a tiger in anything other than a proper enclosure, even if it's part of a private menagerie, but I'd be lying if I said people haven't managed to work intimately and safely with them in various entertaimnent industries.

Gender reveal parties in general are fucking stupid though. We go from one couple who had one as a heartwarming conclusion to their difficulties conceiving finally bearing fruit, to idiots holding them for no good reason other than to waste money on an excuse for a party.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #158436 on: October 12, 2021, 11:13:46 am »

Feel the same here too. When my wife's got to know pete's sex she told me rigth away and we told everyone a few days latter. It was also a matter of practicity, when you are very poor and most of your family is even poorer you need to plan things like a gif for a baby weeks or months in advance. We figured out that if anyone would be doing the sacrifice of gifting anything then it was better for everyone to know in advance. Specially back then when saving up or owning dollars was illegal. (Still kind of is, people just dont care anymore).

Even if we had the money we agreed such things are simply wasteful and could be invested in better things for the baby.

Not that it stops people doing them here anyway.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #158437 on: October 12, 2021, 01:49:08 pm »

Gender reveal parties in general are fucking stupid though. We go from one couple who had one as a heartwarming conclusion to their difficulties conceiving finally bearing fruit, to idiots holding them for no good reason other than to waste money on an excuse for a party.
I feel as if every couple of months I see a news article about how someone violently died in a gender reveal party mishap (usually involving explosives) or how it caused a wildfire
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #158438 on: October 12, 2021, 03:38:03 pm »

The worst thing about "gender reveal parties" (aside from all the fatalities and wildfires) is that they perpetuate confusion about gender and sex.  The infant doesn't have a gender yet, all you know is their sex (if that... some intersex conditions can be easily missed).

They're sex reveal parties and I'm going to keep saying that until people get embarrassed and stop doing it.  The modern form of it is just a way to trigger the "libs" by flaunting their childrens' genitals around and being intentionally obtuse.  Weirdos.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #158439 on: October 12, 2021, 03:42:30 pm »

flaunting their childrens' genitals around

wait
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #158440 on: October 12, 2021, 04:04:49 pm »

The problem isn't gender reveals, its jackasses who decide that it's necessary to celebrate by blowing up the venue with fireworks that come out of a cake that come out of a clown. Just invite people over for burgers and BBQ like a rational person. At least pretend to be responsible if you're going to advertise being an incumbent parent.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158441 on: October 12, 2021, 04:55:11 pm »

The problem isn't gender reveals, its jackasses who decide that it's necessary to celebrate by blowing up the venue

It can be two things.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #158442 on: October 12, 2021, 06:34:58 pm »

It takes me about an hour to get to work. Since we start at 7, I wake up real early. Sometime last night, when I was probably already asleep, the local government cancelled schools because of a typhoon coming in. No one told me, and since it is still just a light rain, I didn't think twice about it. I noticed that the roads were pretty smooth on the way, not much traffic, and when I arrived at the school it was dead empty except a guard and a cleaning lady. Luckily she told me that school was cancelled, otherwise my dumb ass probably would have stayed for an hour thinking, "heck everyone's really running late today".

Now to beat feet back home before a typhoon tears through...

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #158443 on: October 12, 2021, 06:51:37 pm »

Godspeed, stay dry!

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #158444 on: October 12, 2021, 08:37:06 pm »

The problem isn't gender reveals, its jackasses who decide that it's necessary to celebrate by blowing up the venue

It can be two things.
I honestly don't see the issue with people deciding to celebrate major life events with their friends and family in the form of a party.

Obviously,  if you add gunpowder or explosives into the mix of uh... basically any party ever its a bad idea, but that has little to do with the core concept.
Even if we had the money we agreed such things are simply wasteful and could be invested in better things for the baby.
*Shrugs* the same is true of any party or large gathering such as weddings.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.
Pages: 1 ... 10561 10562 [10563] 10564 10565 ... 10983