Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10608 10609 [10610] 10611 10612 ... 10981

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13154189 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #159135 on: January 13, 2022, 03:22:13 pm »

They don't have the muscle to threaten the US. Lots of NATO countries are another story, as are neighboring nations that we do technically have a treaty commitment with.

I don't see "eh, they can't hurt us, but they can eat Latvia (a NATO member) despite us promising Latvia we wouldn't allow that" being very good for US credibility.

And that is what it comes down to. Letting Russia do too much now in exchange for absurd demands is the same a saying "go ahead and eat Latvia".
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #159136 on: January 13, 2022, 05:14:40 pm »

That’s exactly what I’m afraid of though. They’re going to eventually eat somebody, like the rest of Ukraine, and then we’re just gonna whack our finger at them and tell them that we’re not gonna ship it anymore US steel or something.

And, it wouldn’t be the first time that “the allies “let an authoritarian ruler devour its neighbors under the auspices of keeping a treaty
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #159137 on: January 13, 2022, 10:27:44 pm »

If you're referring to Chamberlain, the future Allied Powers didn't have the muscle tomdo anything about Czechlosovakia. He was stalling for time to rearm as much as anything else.

The US situation is just a bit different.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #159138 on: January 14, 2022, 04:57:38 am »

Well technically France did have the muscle to do something about Czechoslovakia, they just didn't know it / weren't confident to go without the British. Meanwhile the British were confident that in any great power conflict France would last long enough to allow Britain to rearm a proper big army. Couple that with American isolation; I heard it best described that America dislocated Britain's diplomatic strategy, whilst Britain dislocated France's diplomatic strategy, leading to the three allies being unable to present any united democratic front to the Poleetus deletus friends. Add it all to the fact that USA, UK, Germany, France, Japan and Russia were all of comparable strength back then (like seriously, there's something innately dark and funny about allying with the guys who annexed Poland to stop the other guys annexing Poland), the allies didn't have as many options as the USA did from the 90s to the 00s where they basically had no realistic peer competition.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #159139 on: January 14, 2022, 08:54:06 am »

I honestly don't understand modern philosophies behind trying to take over other geographic regions.

Does it really boil down to "this region has resources we want, so we're just going to take it by force because we don't want to be bothered with having to produce something that region wants in trade?"  Or is it worse than that, is it just leaders saying "I want to have a power trip, why not try to subjugate this people"? Maybe mixed in with "we're afraid that group is going to try to do something we won't like, so we'll forcibly prevent it"?

I can't help but think it all really boils down to some form of selfishness...

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #159140 on: January 14, 2022, 08:58:28 am »

It's mostly fear. Putin is pissing-pants-terrified of his population rising up against the horrible state he's gotten Russia into, so he needs enemies and conflict to stay in power.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #159141 on: January 14, 2022, 11:27:00 am »

A Czech here, and I am still salty about the France and Britain just feeding us to Germany. Germans, well, they were the enemy. But the French and the British were supposed to be our allies. Instead they betrayed us.

And yes, I worry it's going to happen again. Because western powers (NATO,EU,UN) do not want to fight. Nobody wants to be the guy that says: "We declare war. Military service is now mandatory". It would ruin their chance at being reelected.

So yes, Russia is going to gobble up Ukraine. Then they might turn to Latvia. But if Putin is clever, and I suspect he is, they will have a decent pause between. At least 5 years, maybe more. Enough that there is a change in leadership in most western countries.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #159142 on: January 14, 2022, 11:28:21 am »

Whatever happens, I don't want to die in nuclear fire and I hope Putin is smart enough to not commit suicide (and consequently mass murder of the Russian people and 90% of the Earth's population).
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #159143 on: January 14, 2022, 03:34:29 pm »

I did not know

1) that Roblox was such a big thing (they are apparently bigger than Nintendo now). I thought it was just another random game among thousands.

2) holy shit wtf they should be made illegal by law

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTMF6xEiAaY
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #159144 on: January 14, 2022, 04:33:40 pm »

Tbf it's easy to excoriate the Anglo-French with hindsight, but the governments at the time had enough strength to face Germany or the USSR, and they were still making up their minds which was the more pressing threat - especially since they were concerned that any grand commitment of forces would spur opportunistic attacks from Italy and Japan, which history shows... They did

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #159145 on: January 14, 2022, 05:03:16 pm »

They did negotiate with the Germans (and Italians) to grant them the Sudetenland (which was also heavily fortified with, I think, French-supplied weapons, which the Germans were happy to take) without having Czechoslovakia at the table, which is a bit scummy.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159146 on: January 14, 2022, 05:08:31 pm »

I did not know

1) that Roblox was such a big thing (they are apparently bigger than Nintendo now). I thought it was just another random game among thousands.

2) holy shit wtf they should be made illegal by law

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTMF6xEiAaY

I think the first vid in that series had more to say than the second one, which I found to be a bit sensationalist. Besides the title being a little clickbaity (I wouldn't really call what Roblox did "pressuring"), a lot of the problems mentioned here are not exclusive to Roblox, but universal to most platforms. That story about the 11-year old girl being sexually harassed on Discord has a Youtube equivalent with the Pyrocynical scandal. Both are awful, but both scummy perps ultimately got away with it because nobody has figured out how to properly police a platform yet. As a result, that alone doesn't make me angry enough to want to cancel Roblox.

Same with the item market and the third party websites*. Steam has had a virtual market place for years, and its inevitable for 3rd party websites to pop up in any multiplayer game with tradable goods. Team fortress 2 has one. WoW has one. I'm pretty sure Runescape's got one too. Unless you want to ban in-game trading entirely, you can't really blame the companies for it. That's why people aren't usually up in arms about it.

The only things about that video I found poignant were the terrible customer support/fraud prevention (Kids get scammed easily) and the Child corporations. Child corporations are rotten. It's cute when strangers on the internet band together to make a mod or a Yandere-simulator clone, but once real money comes into play, it becomes very unlikely for people to get their fair share.

To your points I want to say:

1) Roblox is definitely more popular among kids than Nintendo (say hello F2P business model), but it doesn't make as much money as you think, in spite of how scummy the business model is. It's only bigger than Nintendo in terms of stock price and market cap, but that's mostly just hype. It only went public a couple of years ago which is why the stock is so !HOT!

2) Definitely. If you're going to offer to pay kids for their work, either go all the way and pay them a fair well-regulated wage or don't bother. This revival of 19th century labour practices should be squashed, just like it was last time. And frankly, it's quite tragic that our youth are being corrupted by the profit motive at such a young age. I remember how greed infested the modding scene became during the brief time paid mods were a thing.

If you haven't yet, you really should watch the first video. It does a better job of breaking down what modern Roblox actually is, and shows you what a rotten foundation the company is built on.

*Roblox's biggest crime in that regard is obfuscating the real world value of the items through Robux. Kids are likely to literally have no idea what they're spending when they buy an $800 virtual hat.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 05:10:56 pm by heydude6 »
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #159147 on: January 15, 2022, 08:22:31 pm »

i got misgendered again today

perhaps i am a little more queer than i thought

I'm sure the mask I was wearing quite well concealed tell-tale facial foliage, but still. Not that I'm particularly fussed- 'Den Mother' was my in-group nickname for the longest time, after all. Just might need to reflect a little bit on how I present myself and how others see it, y'know?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #159148 on: January 15, 2022, 08:33:56 pm »

Or not. If you're comfortable and it's not causing problems otherwise, why care? Trust frumple, after the number of misgenderings breaches three digits it becomes easier to just go "eh". No skin off my bones if the person on the other end of the phone can't quite tell what they're talking to, y'know?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #159149 on: January 15, 2022, 08:46:55 pm »

People have misgendered me often at work; seems the mask, man tits, and general soft spoken-ness makes me a woman.

Either that or just boomers trying to get a reaction out of anything to get attention.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again
Pages: 1 ... 10608 10609 [10610] 10611 10612 ... 10981