Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10612 10613 [10614] 10615 10616 ... 10981

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13153559 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #159195 on: January 21, 2022, 04:52:56 am »

(updated prior post with sources, because the hyperbole is hard to sift from the actual reality.)

I personally prefer for my computers to do what *I* tell them to do, not what some media hack that wont listen to their own goddamn research departments wants it to be doing, and FUCK NO to what the NSA wants it to be doing.

(Fun fact, Military Graded processors from Intel and AMD, have the SecureEnclave/PSP ***DISABLED*** in silicon. I WONDER FUCKING WHY!? /s )

So, I use Linux.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2022, 05:05:49 am by wierd »

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159196 on: January 21, 2022, 07:48:28 am »

From a layman's perspective: when your OS search engine tries to push web results, when you have strings matching locally, until you type them out fully, should be your first indication that the device is not working for you.

And their hostility to having their UI tweaked in minor ways, breaking the tweaks constantly with updates, there is your proof that they seem to think to know better than you what you want.

You can also set the internet connection to "counted" don't know how they call it in english, anyway w10 won't update on a counted connection.

At some point I'll have to do a cutoff I guess... So far I have been chugging along their updates, but with trends, it's only a matter of time before one seriously and irreversably regrets updating. I wouldn't be on w10 if it weren't for DX12.

And as to android, there is no such thing as a free app anymore, free means with advertisement, and the things take us for idiots. Put it in your pocket without screenlock, see how it will allways mysteriously end up on a youtube ad or with the voice assistant open.
let

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159197 on: January 21, 2022, 08:05:09 am »

I have been using DXVK with proton/GloriousEggroll, and Lutris for DX12 games.

Works quite well for me so far.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159198 on: January 21, 2022, 08:08:14 am »

With raytracing, dlss and all the shabang? Yes luckily  steam gives a shit about linux support, its still an uphill battle.
let

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #159199 on: January 21, 2022, 09:08:41 am »

You can also set the internet connection to "counted" don't know how they call it in english, anyway w10 won't update on a counted connection.
English term would be "metered", like a parking meter or whatever. You were pretty close, it's more or less the same word, just in a specific context of being billed by someone, heh. Basically something where you have limited or usage cost based bandwidth.

And as to android, there is no such thing as a free app anymore, free means with advertisement, and the things take us for idiots.
For what it's worth, there's apps (mostly customized firewall type dealios that blacklist common ad addresses) out there that can block most ads, and as a general rule just setting airplane mode on or turning off the wireless connection will stop most ads from running.

... does mean it's not really an option for internet reliant mobile programs, but most of those a pretty shit anyway so you're not losing out on much :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #159200 on: January 21, 2022, 10:50:19 am »

Random thoughts about Computer Companies:
1) Its easier to get promoted into Management from Marketing than Research.  They only promote from Research when they absolutely, positively, MUST DO SO.
2) At least one person in Research is probably aiding the Pirates
3) Research gives you Products, but Marketing sell the Products, ergo Marketing trumps Research every time
4) Research COSTS money, whereas Marketing MAKES money.  Just ask Marketing.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #159201 on: January 21, 2022, 11:12:05 am »

That's not specific to tech companies - that's specific to just about any company out there.

It's the eternal battle between product makers, product sellers, and product buyers.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159202 on: January 21, 2022, 02:49:47 pm »

With raytracing, dlss and all the shabang? Yes luckily  steam gives a shit about linux support, its still an uphill battle.

They are working very hard on it-- There is "very early" support. (this article is old, DXVK is 1.90 something now.)
https://www.gamingonlinux.com/2021/01/vkd3d-proton-begins-work-to-support-directx-raytracing-on-linux/

Give it a little time. They will have it in the next few versions, most likely.  Non raytraced DX12 is pretty solid though.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #159203 on: January 21, 2022, 06:03:43 pm »

Lots of people like windows because is "esier" and most programs are, at leas in theory, easy to install and avaiable for windows first and foremost.

Funny how pirate/mutilated versions of windows with most crap disabled or deleted star to flourish around all the time. However those arent extemp from their own crap.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159204 on: January 21, 2022, 10:40:43 pm »

You know Youtube, when I go to a video that prominently features a Non-English language, and the ability to enable english captions is embedded right into your videoplayer, when I click on it I am expecting english captions and NOT Vietnamese/Japanese/Chinese/Korean ones... especially when English is available! But I have to navigate to it by going to the video settings. Why won't it just enable English by default? Surely Google spies on me and collects enough data about me to know I'm an American and solely an English-speaker, so why can't they have their video-slave Youtube atleast service me better?

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #159205 on: January 22, 2022, 01:04:07 am »

I'll just stay on Windows 10 for now.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #159206 on: January 22, 2022, 01:05:07 am »

It does sound like one of those Default On settings they could put on Youtube.  I mean, they're decent enough to always make sure the Ads are in English.  Hell, the Ads during election time specify candidates in my geographic area for God's sake!

I'll just stay on Windows 10 for now.
I doubt I'll have an option to "upgrade" to Windows 11 for quite a while for Hardware reasons.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159207 on: January 22, 2022, 02:52:11 am »

Everyone's complaining about win 10 and 11 while I sit here glad I just stuck with Win7 so I wouldn't have to deal with all the bullshit that the new versions bring.

As for youtube I've gotten adds in Japanese and I live nowhere near Japan.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #159208 on: January 22, 2022, 08:18:46 am »

I hate how youtube have no qualms showin adds of dubious "artists" showing their almost bare asses and/or criminal behaviour rigth after a pepa pig video.... fucking shit, why not show a toys or cartoon commercial, ypu surely can do it. Then, when one is forced to use other alternatives its their fault.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159209 on: January 22, 2022, 08:42:39 am »

No problem, ads that lead to malware neither. But half a nipple or a few too many swearwords and you need to send them a photo of your ID card before they let you watch the video.

Big tech being legit as ever when it comes to "protecting" us. But then when you say I allways disconnect my gmail account from my smartphone on principle the masses look at you like you're talking chinese... As if all of this wasn't totally predictable. Guess some people would rather centralise all their sensible data than enter a password.
let
Pages: 1 ... 10612 10613 [10614] 10615 10616 ... 10981