Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10663 10664 [10665] 10666 10667 ... 10984

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13190018 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #159960 on: June 01, 2022, 08:55:54 pm »

If God didn't want me to dress up as a turtle and **** a cartoon horse he'd have said so in Psalms.

Like how they threw me out of the stop n' shop for "repeated incidents" of "juggling produce". They should have had a sign, that's on them.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #159961 on: June 01, 2022, 10:16:45 pm »

None of these words were written in the Bible...
Technically accurate, as nothing in the english language was. That saying should have pretty long legs in any conversation not in hebrew, greek, or aramaic :P

Meanwhile none of it is sanskrit, so we've all reciprocally fallen afoul of the vedas. With two non-overlapping holy texts, all words are outside their preview and we're collectively up the Holy Shit Creek of Quietude, with no words to describe a paddle and none to be seen.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #159962 on: June 01, 2022, 11:05:41 pm »

None of these words were written in the Bible...
Technically accurate, as nothing in the english language was. That saying should have pretty long legs in any conversation not in hebrew, greek, or aramaic :P

Meanwhile none of it is sanskrit, so we've all reciprocally fallen afoul of the vedas. With two non-overlapping holy texts, all words are outside their preview and we're collectively up the Holy Shit Creek of Quietude, with no words to describe a paddle and none to be seen.
Solution: only the Bible is real. :P

Spoiler: ಠ_ಠ (click to show/hide)
There's another one literally fucking called "Nazi Furry".

And yes, they're pariahs within the fandom.

They are the worst. But being a nazi apparently doesn't preclude you from having fetishes for diaper play, futas, furries, etc. Diaper play master race...
If furries were a thing in the 1930s, they would be getting killed by the Nazis too, most likely. But a fascist's brain is invariably too small to understand that.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #159963 on: June 01, 2022, 11:13:22 pm »

I mean, if we're going that route I'd probably give the dub there to the Vedas instead -- they're both older and often more interesting :P

... plus it's more or less just sanskrit, iirc, instead of three other languages. Minimalism in existentially substantial linguistic mediums! It's good stuff.
Ask not!
Ask!

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159964 on: June 01, 2022, 11:18:12 pm »

I mean, if we're going that route I'd probably give the dub there to the Vedas instead -- they're both older and often more interesting :P

... plus it's more or less just sanskrit, iirc, instead of three other languages. Minimalism in existentially substantial linguistic mediums! It's good stuff.
Well I am not a Hindu so I don't believe in them. I honestly couldn't care less about what other religions have to say.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2022, 11:26:26 pm by MaxTheFox »
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #159965 on: June 02, 2022, 12:06:56 am »

Well I am not a Hindu so I don't believe in them. I honestly couldn't care less about what other religions have to say.
Like, believe or not it's still a classic work of human literature, one of the oldest surviving texts made and propagated by human hands.

Been a while since I read any of it, but from what I remember there's plenty of remarkably beautiful work in the Vedas -- Hindu or not, they're worth a read just for what they are outside a religious context, same as quite a few other holy texts of note.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2022, 12:08:29 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159966 on: June 02, 2022, 02:45:55 am »

If furries were a thing in the 1930s
I don't see why they wouldn't be a thing back then.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #159967 on: June 02, 2022, 06:07:56 am »

Apparently, from the latest Future of the Fortress post by Toady, a mouse will be required to play the new DF. 
WTF?
FPS in Gravearmor (850+ dwarves) is 3-6 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159968 on: June 02, 2022, 06:46:28 am »

If furries were a thing in the 1930s
I don't see why they wouldn't be a thing back then.
The fandom got started in the 80s.

Apparently, from the latest Future of the Fortress post by Toady, a mouse will be required to play the new DF. 
WTF?
It's 2022, who doesn't have a mouse or a trackpad? Also, the free version will still have all the features, just shitty UI and graphics, last I heard.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #159969 on: June 02, 2022, 07:08:41 am »

WTF?
THE FUTURE IS NOW
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159970 on: June 02, 2022, 07:14:59 am »

No that was a serious question, who doesn't have a mouse, nor have the ability to buy even a cheap one, and yet have a computer capable of running DF?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #159971 on: June 02, 2022, 07:22:31 am »

"Do you guys not have mice?"
There are accessibility concerns for some people, on top of keyboards being potentially more efficient once you learn the hotkeys or make macros.  I thought the responses in the thread are pretty good http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=169696.4545

What I hear though is that there's a focus on making a modern mouse-based interface, which is a good thing.  I predict we'll get full keyboard support too, and Toady acknowledges that hotkeys are important, but there are real reasons that most games don't focus on keyboard-only like DF.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159972 on: June 02, 2022, 07:29:04 am »

Will probably stay accessible by hotkey, but it's a good thing if all the numpad+ math signs menus get an overhaul where nobody would want to use the keyboard anymore.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2022, 07:31:46 am by dragdeler »
let

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #159973 on: June 02, 2022, 08:30:40 am »

So much this.

I was disappointed by these news. Whenever I play other games that makes me do a lot of stuff like DF does I miss how much more quickly and efficient I get things done in DF because everything is just a few rapid clicks away, and I don't have to manually select everything with my mouse. Even games like Rimworld where a mostly everything is keybound isn't as fast to navigate as DF is. When I play for example the Rimworld-like (like, really, really obviously based on Rimworld) Going Medieval the thing that bugs me the most is the lack of keyboard shortcuts.

And then there's just the punctiliousness and meticulousitude of the keyboard marker in a tile-based game, the mouse just doesn't compare to how I can just press the → button five times and have the keyboard marker mark five more tiles, whereas with a mouse I have to carefully pay attention to how many squares I'm marking so I don't mistakenly mark too many or press the same tile several times because I mis-sight-evaluated where one tile and and the next one begins.

But more than anything, the thing that makes the DF control scheme as good as it is, is how it utilises both mouse and keyboard control so you get the good of both worlds. And I think the controls with inevitably be poorer for having lost the keyboard half, no matter how much better control it gains in the new mouse additions.
Love, scriver~

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159974 on: June 02, 2022, 10:20:26 am »

So much this.

I was disappointed by these news. Whenever I play other games that makes me do a lot of stuff like DF does I miss how much more quickly and efficient I get things done in DF because everything is just a few rapid clicks away, and I don't have to manually select everything with my mouse. Even games like Rimworld where a mostly everything is keybound isn't as fast to navigate as DF is. When I play for example the Rimworld-like (like, really, really obviously based on Rimworld) Going Medieval the thing that bugs me the most is the lack of keyboard shortcuts.

And then there's just the punctiliousness and meticulousitude of the keyboard marker in a tile-based game, the mouse just doesn't compare to how I can just press the → button five times and have the keyboard marker mark five more tiles, whereas with a mouse I have to carefully pay attention to how many squares I'm marking so I don't mistakenly mark too many or press the same tile several times because I mis-sight-evaluated where one tile and and the next one begins.

But more than anything, the thing that makes the DF control scheme as good as it is, is how it utilises both mouse and keyboard control so you get the good of both worlds. And I think the controls with inevitably be poorer for having lost the keyboard half, no matter how much better control it gains in the new mouse additions.
That's fair, but the Steam port is meant to be newbie-friendly. I think not turning people off by having an arcane interface that's maybe slightly more efficient than a mouse once you put many hours into burning it into your muscle memory is better.

It's like complaining about mass-market computers no longer being command-line-only.
Pages: 1 ... 10663 10664 [10665] 10666 10667 ... 10984