Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10664 10665 [10666] 10667 10668 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13189365 times)

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #159975 on: June 02, 2022, 10:23:38 am »

The key word in my WTF post was "required".
To take a game that is now completely playable without a mouse and make a mouse required is silly.

Fine, for those who like the mouse, great.  But it's weird to have mouse advocates make fun of those who prefer keyboard.
If you know how to rapidly type without looking at the keys, you can play DF much faster than with a mouse.

The WTF part is also that Toady has all along tried to reassure keyboard users that a mouse would not be *required* and now this has changed.

I'm not advocating not having mouse use for those that like it.  I'm advocating not having it *required* for those that don't.
FPS in Gravearmor (850+ dwarves) is 3-6 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #159976 on: June 02, 2022, 10:27:21 am »

To take a game that is now completely playable without a mouse and make a mouse required is silly.

Fine, for those who like the mouse, great.  But it's weird to have mouse advocates make fun of those who prefer keyboard.
If you know how to rapidly type without looking at the keys, you can play DF much faster than with a mouse.

The WTF part is also that Toady has all along tried to reassure keyboard users that a mouse would not be *required* and now this has changed.

I'm not advocating not having mouse use for those that like it.  I'm advocating not having it *required* for those that don't.
Yeah I wonder why he backed out on that.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #159977 on: June 02, 2022, 11:10:02 am »

Steam

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159978 on: June 02, 2022, 12:34:26 pm »

Well, if it really bothers you so much you guys can just stop donating to him. Vote with your wallet and such.

If it hurts the bottom line enough, Toady will know you mean business and it isn’t just a vocal minority.

It’s a shame I’m not a donor, cause I’m also bothered by this. Didn’t a blind person once try to mod DF so it could be played without vision. I doubt anyone would feel confident enough to attempt such a thing once this change is implemented.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #159979 on: June 02, 2022, 12:44:59 pm »

I dont play much any more, but I wouldnt want to be forced into using a mouse.

It'd be easier for most applications, but what about using a laptop?  Trying to trackpad DF would be a huge pain.  A lot of laptops overheat as well, and the trackpad gets all kinds of hard to use then.

I'm happy he is going to integrate a mouse, but what is stopping him from leaving the old system of directional buttons and shortcuts?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159980 on: June 02, 2022, 03:26:51 pm »

From what I've read on the Steam version, many features are being outright rewritten. So the Steam version just will not have the old system anymore.

I suspect it's more the menus rather than the view screen where the mouse will be mandatory, as that is where a lot of revisions are occuring.

Also: There are other places these questions could be asked. ^^^

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159981 on: June 02, 2022, 11:05:25 pm »

Steam
Why would Steam tell him to make a mouse non-optional.

It'd be easier for most applications, but what about using a laptop?  Trying to trackpad DF would be a huge pain.  A lot of laptops overheat as well, and the trackpad gets all kinds of hard to use then.

I'm happy he is going to integrate a mouse, but what is stopping him from leaving the old system of directional buttons and shortcuts?
I am typing this from a laptop that has a mouse connected.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #159982 on: June 02, 2022, 11:31:25 pm »

Yours is, of course, the only experience that matters.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159983 on: June 02, 2022, 11:44:18 pm »

I never said that, but just because you're on a laptop doesn't mean you can't use a mouse.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159984 on: June 02, 2022, 11:56:28 pm »

I never said that, but just because you're on a laptop doesn't mean you can't use a mouse.
Which completely ignores what pisskop said in the first sentence:

Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159985 on: June 02, 2022, 11:58:16 pm »

I never said it's good that the steam version won't have a keyboard-only option.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159986 on: June 03, 2022, 12:44:04 am »

Let's go back to the part where we all assumed there were no Mice in Russia. That was fun...

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159987 on: June 03, 2022, 01:11:34 am »

I never said it's good that the steam version won't have a keyboard-only option.

???

I never said you said that.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159988 on: June 03, 2022, 01:25:30 am »

???

I never said you said that.
I never said you said I said Max said Fox said the said you said we go we go said saidy said sad

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159989 on: June 03, 2022, 01:30:15 am »

This is actually a really good point.

It is truly only each individual user's experience that matters.

My apologies to both hector 13 and MaxTheFox. I didn't get that on first read.
Pages: 1 ... 10664 10665 [10666] 10667 10668 ... 10983