Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10683 10684 [10685] 10686 10687 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13164402 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #160260 on: July 10, 2022, 11:42:31 am »

This is just a Twitter thread as I don't speak Chinese, but it appears like confirmation of the rumors that the suspect's mother was in the Unification Church, implying the attack was partly revenge for Shinzo Abe having ties to the church?

https://twitter.com/mrjeffu/status/1545786144134430721

(I know the Unification Church better as the Moonies cult)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #160261 on: July 10, 2022, 12:14:03 pm »

Still probably too early to know for sure, but yeah, what I've noticed of chatter suggests the motivation was due to the ties in question, after the moonies fleeced his mother for a great deal of her personal wealth.

And, like. Shit actually kinda' hits close to home? My grandmother has been defrauded of several thousands of dollars (probably breaking 10, but the records are spotty at this point) over the years by similar exploitation of the elderly (and they're not exactly a rich household -- relatively well off for our area, but it's an amount that would have gone a long way towards making their home more livable or providing for end-of-life care that's now being struggled with), with exactly fuckall remedy provided by legal avenues. I can viscerally understand the urge to see someone connected to the fucks that have done that to a loved one put in the dirt. Not something I'd do myself, I don't think, but, like. If that's actually what pushed the guy that far, I understand it on a very personal level.

The anger and frustration involved when someone's viciously exploiting a loved one and you can't get it to stop or otherwise receive some kind of remedy for the abuse... it's an incredibly genuine one, and one I can easily see pushing a person to kill. The hardest part of it is usually actually finding a target, and, well. Abe was public, visible, and accessible.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2022, 12:15:42 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #160262 on: July 10, 2022, 02:36:38 pm »

It's all rumors still, as far as I can tell.

It's good enough for Wikipedia to be reporting it:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetsuya_Yamagami
Yamagami joined the Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force (JMSDF) in August 2002; he was posted to Kure Naval Base and assigned to the destroyer JS Matsuyuki. He was discharged from the JMSDF in August 2005 as a quartermaster with the rank of leading seaman.

My Japanese is not good enough to unambiguously read the three of the four sources cited there - maybe yours is better?  The other is rather brief:
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2022/07/08/national/crime-legal/shinzo-abe-murder-suspect-tetsuya-yamagami/
Tetsuya Yamagami, 41, who was arrested on suspicion of murder, was a Maritime Self-Defense Force officer in his 20s.

I think 'all rumours' is not an entirely accurate description.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #160263 on: July 10, 2022, 02:56:05 pm »

I don't think you have to be too guilty of being impressed by a murderer when that murderer is like, objectively impressive. It's not really a statement of virtue, you know?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2022, 12:39:10 am by Egan_BW »
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #160264 on: July 10, 2022, 04:00:33 pm »

Yeah, the Beeb have reported that the police are saying the assailant killed Abe ‘cause he thought Abe was affiliated with the group that took all his mum’s stuff, and also that he was a member of the maritime JDF, plus the various homemade weapons he had when his house was searched.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #160265 on: July 10, 2022, 07:13:42 pm »

Google just be like. Cheese gravy? Do you mean cheese sauce? Do you mean <insert other food with cheese on it> and gravy? Do you mean <error, this search engine has no fucking clue what cheese gravy is nor does it grasp the general concept of gravy made from cheese>

Google has failed me, I know not how others make cheese gravy.
Ask not!
Ask!

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #160266 on: July 10, 2022, 07:28:08 pm »

Isn’t gravy rather specifically made from the juices of meat?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #160267 on: July 10, 2022, 07:40:45 pm »

tomato gravy says no

so does mushroom gravy

onion gravy

look, just all the sorts of gravies vegans make

there's a bunch, the basics of gravy is mostly just roux (or an equivalent) + something to make it liquid-y + probably something to make it tasty

E: like, I've been using butter*, but you can use vegetable oil or whatever just as well -- you can make gravy with no meat products whatsoever. Meat drippings or whatev' is definitely the most common way to make it, but it's not a requirement, it's a very versatile way of making a sauce

*the recipe's just melted butter mixed well with some flour and water, then add a couple slices (or an equivalent amount) of (swiss, this time) cheese, nuke for like 30 seconds on high to melt the cheese, then stir and add water until consistency is acceptable and season (pepper/paprika, this time) as desired. Pretty sure I've mentioned it over in the food thread before
« Last Edit: July 10, 2022, 07:58:02 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #160268 on: July 10, 2022, 10:04:41 pm »

American country style white gravy is just flour, milk, ground sausage and pepper. It's deceptively hard to get right.

For cheese gravy, maybe try a cheese that melts easily into a milky/buttery consistency and add flour?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #160269 on: July 10, 2022, 11:00:30 pm »

Isn't cheese gravy the same as Mornay sauce?
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #160270 on: July 10, 2022, 11:15:06 pm »

Looking at it, well. Mostly? Looks like it's normally made from milk, which you can totally use instead of water, and using a lot more butter than I've been using to make the gravy, but the general shape of things looks about the same.

I can't recall ever tasting or seeing mornay sauce (supposedly people use it to make fancy mac and cheese, but I ain't exactly the sort of person that's ate much fancy mac and cheese in their life), so I'unno if there's a difference in practice.

If it's supposed to have the consistency of the cheese stuff on M&C there's definitely a departure in end product, though. Mornay stuff is probably soupier/smoother than what I've been making.
Ask not!
Ask!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #160271 on: July 11, 2022, 12:28:05 am »

The 9-barreled one was removed from his house. The one used in the assassination had only two barrels.

A 9 barreled shogun is pretty impressive especially if they all were able to fire as the more barrels you add the more complex the firing mechanism needs to be.

That's true for mechanical firing systems. An electrical one (which the one he had appears to have been visually) just needs a circuit to discharge one capacitor each time the switch is pulled, which is a fairly trivial notion..
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160272 on: July 11, 2022, 03:47:34 am »

A 9 barreled shogun is pretty impressive especially if they all were able to fire as the more barrels you add the more complex the firing mechanism needs to be.

That's true for mechanical firing systems. An electrical one (which the one he had appears to have been visually) just needs a circuit to discharge one capacitor each time the switch is pulled, which is a fairly trivial notion..
Even with an electrical firing system it's still pretty impressive, I mean most people couldn't take some random pipes and electrical parts and make a gun out of it.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #160273 on: July 11, 2022, 05:11:04 am »

Bro I have a youtube video for you.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #160274 on: July 11, 2022, 09:48:49 am »

I don't think you have to be too guilty of being impressed by a murderer when that murderer is like, objectively impressive. It's not really a statement of virtue, you know?
"Your honour, the defendant would like to dispute the allegation that he possessed improvised explosive devices, as to call them improvised is an insult to his craftsmanship"
Pages: 1 ... 10683 10684 [10685] 10686 10687 ... 10983