Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10684 10685 [10686] 10687 10688 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13165958 times)

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #160275 on: July 11, 2022, 04:50:09 pm »

In light of the strained Texas power grid - due to the current heat wave around 106°F - I saw on a website frequented by supposed environmentally conscious people a screenshot of their personal weather station that showed an external temp of 106°F but an inside temp of 75°F.  I know housing in Texas doesn't have impressive insulation, I just can't understand how you can claim to be environmentally conscious and cool your house to below 80°F when it's over 100°F outside.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #160276 on: July 11, 2022, 05:02:28 pm »

I mean, you can be environmentally conscious and also not want to be fucking miserable (e.g. leaving it at 80F -- I've been there, done that, in similar conditions to that kind of texas heat, and it can easily leave a person a non-functioning waste of a human being if they're stuck in it for an extended period)? Basically means you'd be focusing on some other part of your behavior, or making sure to have as energy/etc. efficient an aircon as you can manage, or maybe going easier on the thing during the parts of the year that aren't "fuck you long pork, boil standing up", or donating/etc. for environmentalist projects, or a pile of other things.

It'd be problematic if they claim to be that and aren't aware of the discrepancy and trying to make up for it, but without that sort of context it's not an invalidating thing in and of itself, y'know? There's not any one thing that's necessary to call yourself concerned for the environment, just a pile of sufficient ones that can vary in adherence from person to person and situation to situation.

E: Though the strained power grid in tex isn't due to the heat, it's due to the fuckwits in charge of the infrastructure in that state not preparing for the entirely predictable heat in question. Capitalist profit fetish, probably going to kill more people this year :-\
« Last Edit: July 11, 2022, 05:04:27 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160277 on: July 11, 2022, 05:17:56 pm »

I don't think you have to be too guilty of being impressed by a murderer when that murderer is like, objectively impressive. It's not really a statement of virtue, you know?
"Your honour, the defendant would like to dispute the allegation that he possessed improvised explosive devices, as to call them improvised is an insult to his craftsmanship"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #160278 on: July 11, 2022, 06:21:02 pm »

So ok, it's someone else's fault, so I'm going to make myself comfortable, forget about the impact it has on everyone else, especially if everyone else does the same thing.

And sorry I've lived in a literal swamp with summer temperatures in the 90s and humidity in the 90s, and simply having AC at 80 to get the humidity down does wonders.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #160279 on: July 11, 2022, 06:50:41 pm »

You're talking to someone in florida. 80 is still enough somethin' like half my family (myself very much included) sweats under a fan, especially the less healthy ones -- it being miserable and leaving a person a non-functional waste of a human being wasn't some kind of hypothetical :P
Ask not!
Ask!

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #160280 on: July 11, 2022, 07:48:58 pm »

My house is 80o downstairs sans cooling, and I sweat my balls off while sitting in my underwear at that temperature.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160281 on: July 11, 2022, 08:18:42 pm »

Nighttime temperature in my bedroom has been in the mid 20s (23-28 Celsius) for the past few days.

I live in Scotland, what the hell is the temperature doing?

This is hot enough to be uncomfortable for my pets, and they're reptiles and tropical invertebrates.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #160282 on: July 11, 2022, 08:19:46 pm »

The backend of my car got mangled in a hit and run apparently by an old guy who forgot to put his truck in park, who then proceeded to abscond without leaving a note. The owner of the house I was parked in front of has door cameras and says he'll email me the footage if he can figure it out; it just happens that he might be a Nazi judging by the '1488' part of the address he gave me.

So now I'm waiting on some Nazi in Bumfuck, Wisconsin to get me crappy camera footage so I can take my story to the police so that someone can pay for my car damages.

What the fuck.

What in the goddamn fuck is this life.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #160283 on: July 11, 2022, 08:27:51 pm »

Do you have any reason to believe the dude might be a Nazi other than an unfortunate address number? Maybe it's different in Wisconsin, but around here we don't usually have any control over what number is assigned to any particular building.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #160284 on: July 11, 2022, 08:28:47 pm »

I figured none was talking about an email address, which would be a very different dealio.
Ask not!
Ask!

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #160285 on: July 11, 2022, 08:30:45 pm »

Yeah, email address. You get to choose your adventure with those.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #160286 on: July 11, 2022, 09:18:08 pm »

Nighttime temperature in my bedroom has been in the mid 20s (23-28 Celsius) for the past few days.

I live in Scotland, what the hell is the temperature doing?

This is hot enough to be uncomfortable for my pets, and they're reptiles and tropical invertebrates.

Yeah that’s really bizarre about Scotland. When I still lived there it was similar on hot days, even living in a ground floor flat.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160287 on: July 12, 2022, 05:05:45 am »

Temperatures like those make me die inside.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #160288 on: July 12, 2022, 02:22:17 pm »

I figured none was talking about an email address, which would be a very different dealio.
Yeah, email address. You get to choose your adventure with those.
Whoops, that's my bad. I saw "house" and assumed "street address".
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #160289 on: July 12, 2022, 04:17:26 pm »

It's 93f/33.8c here right now. We can just slowly unpack stuff and inhale half liter jugs of water right now, that's about it.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 ... 10684 10685 [10686] 10687 10688 ... 10983