Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10700 10701 [10702] 10703 10704 ... 10984

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13208206 times)

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #160515 on: August 06, 2022, 09:57:04 pm »

... snitched on... whoever that is... for doing what?

Bob Odenkirk who is the Saul Goodman actor. He followed the page "perfect_feet_in_sexy_shoes". I saw the Reddit post. Lmao.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2022, 09:58:59 pm by bloop_bleep »
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #160516 on: August 06, 2022, 10:03:04 pm »

It's word endings, actually. It's at least internally consistent, generally.
I get the feeling that "generally" is doing enough lifting one could reasonably confuse it with a very drunk person playing darts :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160517 on: August 07, 2022, 02:41:08 am »

I'll just say I don't hate mayonnaise, it's just the thought of putting it on noodles sounds nasty.
Very late, but it's ramen so it gets mixed into the water alongside the spices. It's very tasty. Don't knock it till you try it!
Telling me that it's watered down mayonnaise doesn't make it any more appealing, if I ever decide to try something like that I'll drain the water.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #160518 on: August 07, 2022, 07:43:15 am »

... snitched on... whoever that is... for doing what?

Bob Odenkirk who is the Saul Goodman actor. He followed the page "perfect_feet_in_sexy_shoes". I saw the Reddit post. Lmao.

Compared to all the other scandals out there, peacefully following a foot fetish page seems honestly kinda wholesome. I haven't seen anything exploitative or disrespectful with the conduct. Let the man have some light in his life :P

Genderforks

Norwegian also genders forks as male. And knives. Spoons, for some reason, can be validly referred to as either male or female. That's actually a thing with a lot of Norwegian words; male-gendered words are frequently referred to using female grammar depending on dialect and casualness of the conversation. My dad also told me about how back in the day, local Communist groups for whatever reason took to the standard of referring to everything as female-gendered, and were pretty much the only people to do so.

Language is weird.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #160519 on: August 07, 2022, 08:05:12 am »

Dutch is weird like that too.
We still have leftovers of word genders. The word 'het' (=the) is used for words of neutral gender. However, the word 'de' (=the, as well) is used for words that are either feminine or masculine.
To make things extra complicated, we don't have a word like the english has "it's", like in "the bike and it's wheels".
No, we have to somehow magically know whether a word used to be feminine or masculine in a distant past.

Like "de natuur, en haar (=her) schoonheid" (nature, and it's beauty), and "de stoel, en zijn (=his) poten" (the chair and it's legs).
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #160520 on: August 07, 2022, 10:26:58 am »

I like English here: only pronouns get gender; everything else is neutral. Pretty sure that’s its Germanic roots?

Also its != it’s …

Do other languages have such contractions? I know Spanish does “de el => del”.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #160521 on: August 07, 2022, 10:49:33 am »

French does, iirc, though I don't remember what any of them are right now.

... also, english being itself, it's not entirely true that only pronouns get gender. Bachelor, as a common example, is not a pronoun, and also not neutral, and there's a pile of things like it. Pretty sure that when we have suffixes or whatever that indicate it, we steal them from other languages but not always the same language, because of course we do.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #160522 on: August 07, 2022, 11:24:16 am »

Czech does not have such contractions.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #160523 on: August 07, 2022, 11:29:18 am »

I'll just say I don't hate mayonnaise, it's just the thought of putting it on noodles sounds nasty.
Very late, but it's ramen so it gets mixed into the water alongside the spices. It's very tasty. Don't knock it till you try it!
Telling me that it's watered down mayonnaise doesn't make it any more appealing, if I ever decide to try something like that I'll drain the water.
But the spicy water is tasty! I always slurp it down.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #160524 on: August 07, 2022, 01:17:43 pm »

I like English here: only pronouns get gender; everything else is neutral. Pretty sure that’s its Germanic roots?

Also its != it’s …

Do other languages have such contractions? I know Spanish does “de el => del”.

Welsh does. For example,  "Rydw i" is oft contracted to  "Dw i". It means "I am", with the longer form used formally, and shorter one informally. We also dont really use "of", leading to terms like "the middle of town" being contracted to "canol y dre", literally "the town middle ". This can lead to the perception that welsh sentences are very blunt and built of mostly longer words, which is pretty true.

We also have gender for all nouns. Masculine and feminine, no neutral. There is no pattern or rule for gender, so you simply learn it along with a word and its meaning. Though there are groupings - like how all months are masculine, but all rivers are feminine. No idea why! However, you can usually determine the gender of a noun by how a word is spelled (typically its ending, with repeating patterns denoting masculine or feminine). Plurals have no gender. Some words have thier gender changed depending on context.

Oh, and nouns mutate depending on sentence. Take, "cath" (a cat). Add the definitive article to make "the cat" and you get "y gath". Describe it as big (mawr), and the adjective mutates to "y cath fawr". This happens to all nouns with rules dependent on gender and context.

Finally, there are words whose gender is not agreed on. Take "munud", meaning minute. Its gender changes regionally, leading to radically different grammar. Heck, some words with multiple meanings have meaning dependent gender. "Gwaith" is masculine when referring to work, but feminine when referring to time...
« Last Edit: August 07, 2022, 01:19:29 pm by MonkeyHead »
This is a blank sig.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #160525 on: August 07, 2022, 05:35:04 pm »

I feel there is some confusion about linguial genders, gendered pronouns, and gender-related words here. I will try to explain, to the best of my layman-linguist ability. Bring out your salt-shaker because I am prepared to be mistaken.

First, English. I don't think English has grammatical genders in modern usage. At all. The closest, I think, is the a/an groups. More on this later.

But anyway. What is language genders? They are categories of words which decide how the words are bent. We call them genders because the standard to which all languages are compared to is Latin, and in Latin, words have actual genders. Words are either male or female. They take a word and switch it's gender. For other languages, the usage of "gender" for their word classes was just inherited, just like all other grammar terms were inherited, even when the categories are completely unrelated to genders or sex. So to make it easier to distinguish between this I am going I am going to try to remember to only call gender gender and use the terms "class" or "category" for language genders. Let me know if it gets confusing in spite of my efforts.

Anyway, so take Spanish as a first example, since this is one of the few language I have more than a passing glance into. Spanish inherited the actual-gendered word classes from Latin. They have El/-o and la/-a words, the first being masculine and the latter feminine word class. For example, Hij-o is boy, and Hij-a is girl. Rey is king and Reya is queen. The word remains the same, but a change in proposition and ending changes the word class it belongs too as well as gender it refers too.

Now look at Swedish. Historically speaking, Swedish used to have literal-gender grammar classes (maybe most Indo-European languages did?), the ending -e (or no ending vocal) was masculine and the ending -a was feminine. This still have some effect on modern Swedish in how it does gendered language of say occupations (Singer, for example, is sång-are or sång-erska, and dancer is dans-are or dans-erska) or animals (cat is katt, but female cat is (archaicly) katt-a), but here's the catch -- these, while remaining somewhat in the language, are not the actual word-categories of modern Swedish. Modern Swedish has two word classes, en-words (called "masculine", because Latin-comparison) and et-words (called "feminine", because Latin) -- and these have have nothing to do with genders. These are the categories that determine how to bend words in Swedish, both regarding definite/indefinite articles and which pronouns words get. The words for singer, dancer, and cat above are all six in the same word category, en-words -- unlike in Spanish, changing the gendering of a word between masculine and feminine no longer changes the grammatical class (grammatical "gender") of the word in the Swedish language. But the grammatical classes are still called genders, because, yeah I'm repeating myself, but yeah it's because Latin as standard.

So lastly, let's return to English. English doesn't do gender-endings, you can't change the gender of a child by adding, I dunno, an "-a" to make it a childa instead of a childe or whatever. Bachelor and Bachelorette doesn't count, because they were adopted as gendered words (from French?) and their gendering is not a result of a grammatical function of English itself. English also doesn't have more than word class. I said above that a/an is the closest they have to it above, but despite having different definite articles (which is why I think they're the closest, because of how it relates to the articles in my Swedish first tongue), the words themselves don't actually categorize differently beyond that. At most, you could also stretch it to the "the and thee" variance too, which I think is also related to whether a word begins with a vocal or a consonant, but not universally applied?

Anyway thanks for reading this rant by somebody who has no linguistical background. I'm probably wrong about a bunch of stuff, but I like languages so it was fun writing it out.
Love, scriver~

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #160526 on: August 07, 2022, 07:26:56 pm »

The hotel I'm staying at was hosting some pro darts competition, of all things.

I suspect the couple that was staying above me did well.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160527 on: August 08, 2022, 04:18:15 am »

Yeah, but not with mayo.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160528 on: August 11, 2022, 04:26:59 am »

Heatwave is back. Just shy of 29C in my bedroom. Higher than my pets need for their basking spots, so this isn't going to be great for them.

This weather is downright unpleasant for Scotland.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #160529 on: August 11, 2022, 04:31:44 am »

Yeah, but not with mayo.
Don't knock it till you try it.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.
Pages: 1 ... 10700 10701 [10702] 10703 10704 ... 10984