Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10706 10707 [10708] 10709 10710 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13164783 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #160605 on: August 19, 2022, 01:13:51 pm »

news person on tv somehow sounding sad/disappointed about some retail chain having to cut prices due to reduced demand

like wow, how terrible, some chain store ripping people off less, such an unfortunate thing, sad, sad

To be vaguely fair, it did occur to me when I started typing this they might have stock in whatever the company was, or they were depressed over something else or whatever, so maybe there's some sort of reasonable cause to it, but... still. Still.

You forget that retail chains heavily advertise on TV. The News Person probably was told to drum up sales for Wal-Mart, our major advertiser, or else.

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #160606 on: August 19, 2022, 01:28:35 pm »

It's, erh, a Korean TV drama. Let someone enjoy it for what it is, yah?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160607 on: August 19, 2022, 01:31:07 pm »

Or let someone who knows more about S. Korea answer the questions ...
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160608 on: August 19, 2022, 01:38:46 pm »

Anyway, yeah, you can eyeball the easy definition of nepotism to see it extends to friends as well as family, and extends to both power and influence -- it's not just a rich person thing by a country mile (pointedly, out here in the country it's wildly rampant even among folks operating below the poverty line). Corruption related to that is rooted fucking deep in the US hiring process, to the point I've regularly gotten just flat out incomprehension from folks when pointing out that, yes, favoring friends or family or even just acquaintances in the hiring process is, in fact, corruption and/or nepotism, even when the person being selected is largely or entirely qualified. Hire competence doesn't change that you're passing over people that may be just as, or more, qualified based on personal familiarity and whatnot. So on and so forth.

The extent that kind of behavior is tangled into everything (largely everywhere, it's not unique to the US even a little, just much worse than we like to admit over here) makes it a messy and complicated issue.

I see, it never occurred to me that that kind of small scale nepotism would even BE corruption, if only because it starts to massively overcomplicate the hiring process if the Employer just so happens to know a lot of people, and therefore it could be argued in any hiring decision made he was being nepotistic in a "Six Degrees of Separation" kind of way. Like, if hiring a friend is nepotism, and hiring your friend's daughter is nepotism, there what degree is it not nepotism? Would a friend of a friend be nepotism? Would your friend's 2nd cousin twice removed be nepotism? Would your friend's ex-wife's adopted son be nepotism? Perhaps the argument could be made that it is, if the definition is simply any familiarity or connection whatsoever. Would the hiring process then be to group up all qualified candidates then assign the positions at random somehow? Go through an obligatory double blind process that strains out all identifying information of the actual applicant? Do no actual hiring yourself, but rather extend the position to a neutral 3rd party hiring agency, or union, or something like that, that will decide who gets the position on your behalf? I'm certainly all for sticking it to shitheaded at-will businesses, and securing a greater deal of fairness and security for employees, but I'd be very concerned over how businesses would be able to have control over their own culture, or how to select for 'intangible' qualities that are difficult to put into writing but are important nonetheless.

So yeah now I can see why it's a "messy and complicated issue".

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #160609 on: August 19, 2022, 02:30:42 pm »

By definition, it is nepotism if the familiarity plays a role.

You can hire people you know. In fact, not hiring people because you know them would also be nepotism.

You knowing them has to not play a role in their hiring. And yes, it is unfeasable to achieve that completely, so long as the hiring people have to choose from candidates of similar skill.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160610 on: August 19, 2022, 02:32:29 pm »

Nepotism is probably too complex a topic for the WTF thread, honestly.
EDIT: I created a new thread to discuss Nepotism, if nobody wants to hunt down another thread.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160611 on: August 19, 2022, 02:35:10 pm »

Or let someone who knows more about S. Korea answer the questions ...
If you're not that person, STFU maybe?

It's, erh, a Korean TV drama. Let someone enjoy it for what it is, yah?
Point taken.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160612 on: August 19, 2022, 02:44:16 pm »

By definition, it is nepotism if the familiarity plays a role.

You can hire people you know. In fact, not hiring people because you know them would also be nepotism.

You knowing them has to not play a role in their hiring. And yes, it is unfeasable to achieve that completely, so long as the hiring people have to choose from candidates of similar skill.

I see, I didn't know that part either.

Nepotism is probably too complex a topic for the WTF thread, honestly.

You know, yeah.

Wow.  Where do I begin?
1) Lawyers have been on the Autistic Spectrum for years. I'm not talking just new-generation, recently graduated and outed Autistic. I'm talking guys in their 60s who CLEARLY are somewhere on the spectrum (Asperger's as one admitted and could explain the others, if you want to get technical).
2) Made for TV, for the most part.  Specialization is just as you described in the US, and probably the same in South Korea.  BUT, litigation is still litigation, and being able to argue something in a courtroom is a skill with some transferability.  In a larger law office, they can designate some attorneys to litigate all cases in Court, where the people that actually specialize in the particular areas prep the cases and give the litigation lawyers all the stuff they need for Court. And, hey, if the client thinks their attorney can handle it, and the attorney thinks they can handle it...eh it happens.
(there are also snake oil salesmen calling themselves attorneys, and polymath attorneys that can do it all)
3) As for that bullshit about people losing their shit over nepotism: See it for the hypocrisy it is, please.  The main character made the dual mistake of being related to authority and admitting weakness in the form of a diagnosis, and is getting attacked over it under the neoptism flag.  She'll figure it out eventually, and Netflix will probably hammer it later on (probably with a true nepotism story).

1) I mean, I don't doubt there's folks in the spectrum working high-end professions. I was just commenting that it seemed a little on-the-nose for a representation.
2)That's cool to learn, I do like to peek into the lives of how professions like doctors or lawyers go about their day to day business. I'm subbed to a few youtubers like that and they never stop being interesting.
3) The specific case in the story is made doubly complex due to the character having autism, and the fact that there's anti-discrimination laws which prohibit discriminating against those with disabilities. Despite that Anti-discrimination law however, our Main Character was not able to get hired anywhere due to her autism, so were it not for the nepotism (and the possible scheming of the CEO on an unrelated matter), she wouldn't have gotten hired anywhere at all, despite graduating with near perfect scores from her prestigious law university.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2022, 02:46:39 pm by JoshuaFH »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160613 on: August 19, 2022, 02:51:02 pm »

3) The specific case in the story is made doubly complex due to the character having autism, and the fact that there's anti-discrimination laws which prohibit discriminating against those with disabilities. Despite that Anti-discrimination law however, our Main Character was not able to get hired anywhere due to her autism, so were it not for the nepotism (and the possible scheming of the CEO on an unrelated matter), she wouldn't have gotten hired anywhere at all, despite graduating with near perfect scores from her prestigious law university.
That is interesting!

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #160614 on: August 19, 2022, 02:54:19 pm »

I do some hiring in the US, so imma go ahead and do an [exposition]. Tis' firmly in the realm of opinion.

Nepotism in the US isn't a problem because someone hired someone they are already familiar with outside of the workplace. It's a problem when someone hires someone because they are familiar with them outside of the workplace, or as a priority over their actual qualifications.

If I have candidate A candidate B, and they both have the *same qualifications, and I have worked with B in the past or have a solid pre-existing relationship with them that leads me to believe they would be trustworthy/competent in that role, I am going with B. That's not corruption, that's common fukkin' sense. Firsthand experience with a candidate is a legitimate qualification. You can say that it's somehow unfair that B has an advantage, but the other way would be to deny B a job because I know them. That's ass too. In this case it's equally shitty to say that B only got a job because they knew someone, despite their qualifications.

Note: That's a common shitty reaction to women being hired for leadership roles. Clearly they only got hired because they know someone, somewhere.

FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160615 on: August 19, 2022, 03:22:54 pm »

Thanks for the insight there Duna, I appreciate it.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #160617 on: August 20, 2022, 01:57:35 pm »

they have wireless heated plates now

and not, like, old school just-heat-up-something-that-holds-heat wireless

actual wireless electronics stuff going on

in a plate

to keep food warm while it's sitting on a table or something
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #160618 on: August 20, 2022, 06:09:26 pm »

Eh, to me what you are describing is a very clear example of nepotism. That being said, if anyone doesn't believe it's omnipresent in society, I've a bridge to sell you. Thriving is in no small measure a matter on who you know. Actual "merit" takes a backseat. It will have a bigger impact on what you make of the opportunities you are given though.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #160619 on: August 20, 2022, 06:53:40 pm »

Both are technically true, IMO. Nepotism is, by its most literal definition, favoring someone you have a previous relationship with for hiring. It is not, however, an intrinsically negative concept.

But, as in my wall of text, most applicants are not equal. Nepotism is usually used (quite correctly) to refer to cases of unfair hiring, especially in federal/state positions. It's still shitty to use it as a blanket term to hate on people who got helped out by a friend to get a job they were fully qualified for, and for which the prior relationship was an indicator of further qualification. Having proved firsthand in the past to a potential employer that you are trustworthy/personable/skilled/etc is in fact a legitimate merit.

Whoever said this isn't meant for the WTF thread is right though, my bad.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0
Pages: 1 ... 10706 10707 [10708] 10709 10710 ... 10983