Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10728 10729 [10730] 10731 10732 ... 10974

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 12999707 times)

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #160935 on: September 29, 2022, 05:33:14 am »

War is Peace,
Freedom is Slavery,
Ignorance is Strength,
Smart is Stupid
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #160936 on: September 29, 2022, 06:43:28 am »

I to find smart stuff annoying, not really sure why people love that shit so much.

It provides everything that most people want to do on a TV without the necessity of attaching a second device that requires a different remote. The convenience factor vastly outweighs all of the downsides for the majority of people.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #160937 on: September 29, 2022, 10:58:29 am »

i think i just threw out my lower back

by sitting on the toilet

what betrayal of my mortal flesh is this that i am so imperiled and agonized by taking a piss

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160938 on: September 30, 2022, 03:33:51 am »

I to find smart stuff annoying, not really sure why people love that shit so much.

It provides everything that most people want to do on a TV without the necessity of attaching a second device that requires a different remote. The convenience factor vastly outweighs all of the downsides for the majority of people.
So your saying the average person doesn't have a VCR, Beta Max, and Laser Disc plugged into their TV?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #160939 on: September 30, 2022, 04:09:45 am »

That would be unusual. And running those into a modern TV without a dedicated upscaler would be hella janky.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #160940 on: October 01, 2022, 12:13:56 am »

Know what I didn't even mention that made me so extra fucking pissed off?

The model which I thought we were getting, the one we did for pickup online and expected to get had a remote AND buttons on the side.

Know what this one doesn't have in the box for some reason? A remote.

Know what else it doesn't have for some reason?

FUCKING BUTTONS

There is literally a single power button and a reset button tucked around back.

When I tried to use the cable remote tv code shit (hold xfinity+mute) to figure it out I can get that the tv code is 12434 but for some fucking reason that won't let me get past the initial screen.

I also figured out if I use the backup method for the OLDER type of remote (hold A+D until blinks, hit 990 > 1 2 3 4 5 and count flashes, confirming 12434, or hit 991 then hit channel up until tv goes off) I can ALMOST get in to change shit and use the fucker.

Except to set the remote to work I have to hit the Setup button.

GUESS WHAT THE XR15 REMOTE I HAVE LACKS

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #160941 on: October 01, 2022, 12:31:13 am »

GUESS WHAT THE XR15 REMOTE I HAVE LACKS

A cheapo TV's broken screen around it, which I'm sure you're working to fix as we speak.

...I had a fairly old TV with similar issues (2000 or so). It's not truly a New thing.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160942 on: October 01, 2022, 01:13:55 am »

You had a tv from 2000 which had no buttons and required a very particular type of remote (i.e. a roku remote) to get past the initial "select language" screen before you could do anything?

The screen itself is... fine, it's as big as the screen I'm typing this on (from Lenovo, lovely really) at 23.5~ inches, except THIS is a 1920x1080 screen and THIS is an IPS panel, while THAT is probably a 1366x768 capped at 1280x720, and probably a TN panel.

Both cost around the same amount, but the monitor has no VESA mounts or speakers, but I bought it a dickyear ago.

If it wasn't for still having covid I would have gone to the store to make sure it had a remote or gotten the remote the site had listed as in stock, but mother-in-law is old and has that brain thing with the dumb so I can't even risk having her trade it in because SURE ENOUGH they won't have one the right size and she'll try to be helpful by getting a bigger one, except those don't have the right fucking VESA mounts because OF COURSE they don't.

I knew when smart tvs popped up I hated them instantly, it took our old dumb tv dying to illustrate only that the depth of my hatred was insufficient, when it should have made the pacific ocean look like a puddle.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160943 on: October 01, 2022, 03:53:38 am »

Weird that the TV didn't come with a remote.

That would be unusual. And running those into a modern TV without a dedicated upscaler would be hella janky.
Is an upscaler the same as a plug that coverts the RCA cables to HDMI?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160944 on: October 01, 2022, 06:09:42 am »

It is literally a box with RCA in and HDMI out yes.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #160945 on: October 01, 2022, 07:57:19 am »

Generally, for a crisp image, it's powered, though you can also loss-fully plug it in directly, I think.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #160946 on: October 01, 2022, 11:04:02 am »

Is an upscaler the same as a plug that coverts the RCA cables to HDMI?

Not exactly. Pretty much any cheap converter's just going to do a half-assed analog-to-digital conversion and rely on the TV just handling the upscale from old-school standard definition to fit a 1080p or 4k screen. Which TVs are really, really bad at. The lag doesn't matter with video, but the resultant stretched and smeared image quality absolutely does. A dedicated upscaler will handle the resolution change before outputting the image, and generally do a much better job of it. You don't need the sort of high-feature device used for retrogames or anything, but you do want something halfway decent.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160947 on: October 02, 2022, 02:46:30 am »

The one we have needs to be plugged into an outlet to work does that make it one of the better ones?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #160948 on: October 03, 2022, 12:16:04 am »

The one we have needs to be plugged into an outlet to work does that make it one of the better ones?
Presumably, yeah

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #160949 on: October 03, 2022, 02:17:35 am »

A lot of this smart stuff really just silly.
Yesterday I silently mumbled and grumbled to myself when I saw my supermarket is selling smart feeders and waterers for cats and dogs, special offer for Animal Day.

If you're too lazy /too busy too feed animals twice per day, don't get a pet.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479
Pages: 1 ... 10728 10729 [10730] 10731 10732 ... 10974