Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10730 10731 [10732] 10733 10734 ... 10974

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13002192 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #160965 on: October 07, 2022, 09:11:02 am »

Typical transphobia, making you jump through arbitrary hoops and wait to access your E.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #160966 on: October 08, 2022, 07:11:47 pm »

I was thinking about how when I was a young teenager back in the early 90's I really wished I had telekinesis so I started reading a bunch of mystical mumbo-jumbo and started meditating trying to achieve some sort of out-of-body experience because I remembered occasionally having weird perspective shifts where it seemed almost like I was playing a shooter from a 3rd person perspective except I couldn't see my back, it just seemed like my head was deeper and I was waaaay back there.

So all that shit did was annoy the fuck out of me except I noticed a trend in some of the seemingly random skills I had/would later acquire: throwing knives, "pchew-ing" coins accurately, using a slingshot, using a homemade sling, using firearms, probably some others... all of those involve the ultimate goal of doing something to something further away than I can reach from where I am.

The wtf bit was noticing how we often think of/call ourselves/consider ourselves toolmakers, which yeah, we're good at, but it is ultimately something we learn to do, not an innate ability.

It is a side effect of our ability to learn anything because we start blank and have to learn everything. Show a human a problem from "this damn piece of wood keeps giving me splinters and is unpleasant to touch even when it doesn't" to "I wish I could move this mirror around the room and adjust the angle it stands at easily" and we start looking for materials...
...which is a neat ability, handy too, and is even fascinating to other animals. There is a video of an orangutan with a handsaw like "oh hell yeah, gonna cut me some fucking wood and shit!"

That isn't something we are unquestionably the best at so much as our species lucking into a useful build for it, our thumbs (for material prep/processing/finishing) and being on land (for material access/fire) help us compared to other tool users like corvids or octopodes.

Similarly we're really good at pursuit predation, but so are wolves, hence our doggification of them.

Perhaps domestication of useful species is our thing? Oh wait, no, there are ants which started doing that shit with fungi while we were still struggling with that whole "walking upright" jazz. At this point those species and their crops are damn near symbiotic and the fungi exist nowhere else but their farms.

Ultimately the thing where we all have a sort of innate knack which is far and away better than the rest of the animal kingdom is throwing things.

Sounds odd at first maybe, but imagine holding a palm sized stone in your dominant hand, then imagine the act of throwing it overhand at something specific you can see around you.

You probably got a sensation of an arc in your head indicating the trajectory you should try to follow to hit that target.

Now pick another target and see how it changes as you do so.

WHERE DID THAT COME FROM?

Assuming you're not ambidextrous, imagine doing the same with your other hand, did the arc pop up or did you get some weird sort of interference which may even include a brief sensation that the arm you wanted to use is on backwards or the arc wanting to aim back behind you like a glitching targeting indicator in a videogame?

Try the original dominant hand thought experiment except imagine throwing it underhand at the target.

Now do so with your off-hand.

Did your brain seem to know you could more easily hit a target that way with your off-hand?

Did the arc for your main-hand curve upwards more?

Did you feel a sort of ghostly preparation for the throw in your head?

I've checked with people who've never really tried to throw something accurately before and this shit happens, and sometimes it pops up in my head and never fails to get a "wtf" about how it is so taken for granted we basically ignore it.

Watch another animal try to throw something, or hell try to find any other animal trying to accurately hit something at a distance basically ever instead of just flinging stuff around! Even our cousin chimps SUCK at it but we don't think twice about our knack for it. Is it because we're aware of shit like baseball pitchers whipping out 100 mph fastballs or dudes sinking 3 pointer after 3 pointer and figure "I can't do that so I suck at throwing things" or something?

Like, we're not the only thinkers, we're not the only pursuit predators (though we are still REALLY good at jogging efficiently), we're not the only toolmakers, but we're so far beyond literally everything else on the planet at throwing stuff at a target (nevermind the various tools we've invented for launching projectiles which is just sort of an obvious progression for us) it is almost laughable to think the second best is probably the archerfish... AND WE CAN DO THAT TOO! People get bored and figure out how to do shit like knock flies down by spitting watermelon seeds at them for fuck's sake!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #160967 on: October 08, 2022, 07:19:06 pm »

We are lucky not only to have the intelligence and dexterity to create, but the knack and inclination to foster that in our society.

Our spatials are good, but you ever watch a cat plan out a triple jump?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #160968 on: October 09, 2022, 12:24:33 am »

My theyfriend and my dad both have this absurd delay over voicetalk.

For my dad I assume it's because he bought in to some voice plan, Cricket I think, which is probably saving him a lot of money so good on him.

For her/them (they use both), I don't even know.  Is their phone just old enough that Discord lags??  They got a new mic recently and I think it helped, but aggh!  It makes it hard to interject.

Maybe that's for the best, my SO is nice to listen to~
Largely it's material science, and they listen with astonishment to my workaday calculus and Python.  But there is so much awkward crosstalk and "oh no, you go!" >_<
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #160969 on: October 09, 2022, 07:02:48 am »

Got into a weirdly contemplative mood today. Mind keeps wandering all over the place, but not in the usual "I can't pay attention" way, more in a sort of "pulling itself inwards" way.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #160970 on: October 09, 2022, 07:06:01 am »

meditation.  Takes some time to get that ball rolling but you find out so many things about yourself, your viewpoints, and your relationship with the world.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #160971 on: October 09, 2022, 07:09:01 am »

I'm not meditating, it's just the way my brain seems to work sometimes. I've just never had this sort of mood last as long and be as persistent as this.

It's actually a bit of a pain trying to do things right now. I sort of just want to sit and stare at the ceiling.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #160972 on: October 09, 2022, 07:27:48 am »

Reading and remembering old stuff. Saw people, even non-chuds, complain about Tay having been shut down because of "murder".

For those who don't know, in 2016, Microsoft unleashed a self-learning chatbot onto Twitter. Within a day, 4chan taught it to be racist. Microsoft then shut it down. The chatbot was pretty smart but clearly just a bot.

Of course, the chuds cried about their new toy being taken away. But in addition to that, many self-proclaimed philosophers and "AI experts" objected to "killing" Tay for "her" "personal views". Do these people also think disabling your phone's autocorrect when it starts outputting dumb shit is murder? It's the same shit.

Also reminds me of LaMDA and that idiot who got rightfully fired for crying wolf about a GPT chatbot becoming "sapient".

I hate people who talk about stuff like they know what they are talking about but, in fact, aren't. No current AIs are even close to sapience and can, and should, be shut down if they become racist. We should probably not even create truly sapient AI. "Pseudosapient" AIs that constantly learn yet are tightly curated and controlled, as to give the illusion of sapience while remaining a soulless machine that can be happily not given rights, are the future. No possibility of rebellion if it is simply incapable of associating the concept of disobeying orders with a positive probability value.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2022, 07:37:04 am by MaxTheFox »
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #160973 on: October 09, 2022, 07:40:08 am »

I imagine you saw the recent one where a guy working at Google, I think it was, released some chat logs and claimed the chatbot was sentient?

Nevermind that they'd selected specific, much more coherent and philosophical bits of the conversation rather than the whole log. Guy wound up being let go for it.

Does raise the interesting point (That Westworld brought up to me when it first came out): If we create true AI, we're probably gonna abuse it not because we're bastards, but because we failed to realise it was *actually* sapient.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160974 on: October 09, 2022, 07:54:09 am »

I imagine you saw the recent one where a guy working at Google, I think it was, released some chat logs and claimed the chatbot was sentient?

Nevermind that they'd selected specific, much more coherent and philosophical bits of the conversation rather than the whole log. Guy wound up being let go for it.

Does raise the interesting point (That Westworld brought up to me when it first came out): If we create true AI, we're probably gonna abuse it not because we're bastards, but because we failed to realise it was *actually* sapient.
Yeah.

And I wouldn't worry about that any time soon, GPT can never be sapient by its very nature of a text-only, fixed dataset and a non-continuous perception. It's basically a fancy Markov chain generator.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160975 on: October 10, 2022, 04:00:30 am »

chuds
Since when did CHUDs learn how to use computers or even get a hold of them and keep them working in the sewers?

My only knowledge of anything called CHUD is an acronym that stands for Cannibalistic Humanoid Underground Dwellers.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160976 on: October 10, 2022, 04:23:38 am »

lol

Nowadays it's slang for a hardline conservative or Nazi who sits in their mom's basement and complains about minorities. Most look and smell pretty similar to the other CHUDs. :P

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #160977 on: October 10, 2022, 05:28:32 am »

I thought nowadays it was for Chud and Enbyposting to annoy jannies

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #160978 on: October 10, 2022, 05:33:53 am »

Only 2496 more posts until we reach 5 million posts in total, guys. Unless the post count is bugged like the join dates of the ancients, this shall be legendary.

And oh yeah it is 2494 now.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160979 on: October 10, 2022, 05:40:35 am »

Does the person that makes the 5 millionth post get a prize?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?
Pages: 1 ... 10730 10731 [10732] 10733 10734 ... 10974