Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10733 10734 [10735] 10736 10737 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13188420 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #161010 on: October 17, 2022, 05:47:09 pm »

It would only serve to enrage many and sadden many more, with the risk of aliens actually getting worried about what we might do (gear up to attack them) now that their observation of us is known. So probably not. Pretend we're still oblivious and go on about our own way.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #161011 on: October 17, 2022, 07:33:59 pm »

If you found out your species was just a scientific novelty to a vastly more technologically advanced species, would you tell the truth?
If I had a way to prove it, sure. Dunno if it'd actually make anything worse, that's effectively the basic premise of most of the major religions and what's one more in that pile?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161012 on: October 17, 2022, 08:24:07 pm »

I thought a gamma ray burst was one of those things we should extremely terrified of, as in something that could instantly kill every living thing on this planet and the only warning we'd get was a few seconds(at best) of intense radio static.

The payroll department at my new job is taking out city taxes... for a city in which I don't live, nor does my company have an office in the city for which they're collecting tax.  Hopefully they will get it fixed soon... I even remember when I set stuff up in the initial week, I specifically left that "city withholding" box empty...

Definitely sounds like something to raise concerns about. And don't stop until it's fixed. When I worked at a community college, they tried to pay me under the legal minimum wage, and it took a few months for them to fix that - quite possibly due to me threatening to go to an attorney if it wasn't fixed. Then again, that was one of the least shitty things they did to me.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161013 on: October 17, 2022, 08:36:38 pm »

I thought a gamma ray burst was one of those things we should extremely terrified of, as in something that could instantly kill every living thing on this planet and the only warning we'd get was a few seconds(at best) of intense radio static.

I mean, yeah, Gamma Ray Bursts could trivially destroy the entire solar system in an instant, but going out in an instant is pretty nice in the grand scheme of things.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #161014 on: October 17, 2022, 10:22:33 pm »

distance to the event matters. According to that article, the event that triggered the gamma ray burst that hit us was 1.8 billion light years away, which is far enough, obviously.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161015 on: October 18, 2022, 03:19:39 am »

Damn gammas bursting all my rays!
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #161016 on: October 18, 2022, 08:44:00 am »

This doesnt reveal anything except my aggressive trading style, but look at the swings on my monthly

https://i.imgur.com/CpBalvu.jpg
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #161017 on: October 18, 2022, 07:58:57 pm »

HR made a mistake with my Paid Time Off.

I was looking at it, and it was like hmm. I should have more than 20 hours. They've been messing with our payroll software all year so it's been fairly common for it to display it incorrectly.

I sent em' an email and they were like yes sir you are correct, you actually have TWO HUNDRED AND THIRTY FIVE HOURS of PTO. Enjoy.

I talked to my boss and was like look, I don't wanna be a dick and just vanish for four weeks. He was like honestly that'd be easier for me to process than just doing like a couple days a week for like 4 months. So I might be taking a surprise 4 week vacation to my couch.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #161018 on: October 20, 2022, 06:17:59 am »

Someone clearly incepted me last night, I had a quadruple depth dream. Especially unusual because I don't usually remember anything about my dreams.

I just remember it being four dreams deep and one of them involving me doing martial arts with my dad.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #161019 on: October 21, 2022, 08:28:44 pm »

Tax issue should be resolved, but it’s funny how many corporate hoops had to be traversed.

New WTF: I have no recollection of doing anything even mildly strenuous lately, yet am having severe issues with one of me knees. If I bend it too far, it sort of pops when I extend it. And  little while ago after it was bent I could only extend it after excruciating pain… and sort of extending my foot. It’s like whatever muscle/tendon system is involved with extending the lower leg is messed up; the top of the foot on the affected leg is now aching…

I wonder if somehow I pulled a tendon down at my foot, so when I bend the leg the slack lets things get out of place and lock… so I had to take up the slack by extending the foot to unlock the knee…

And I don’t even know what I did to it!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #161020 on: October 22, 2022, 06:43:33 pm »

kitten (<6 months old) just literally scared the shit out of a visiting dog about 10x its size

... kitty is maybe not the smartest thing in the world but...
Ask not!
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #161021 on: October 22, 2022, 06:53:06 pm »

Honey badger dont care.  Honey badger dont give a f*$&
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #161022 on: October 23, 2022, 07:42:29 am »

From what I remember, the GRB itself wouldn't be too bad. The atmosphere would absorb it really well.

That's the problem: The atmosphere would absorb almost all the radiation, and produce a shitload of new chemicals, and the ozone would shrink by 25-50%. Loads of UV would reach the surface (Which isn't *too* bad for humans because we can sit inside, but it's bad for, say, crops and farm animals) and a lot of the chemicals produced would form stuff like nitric acid which would then settle out of the atmosphere in the form of acid rain.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #161023 on: October 26, 2022, 02:46:10 pm »

You know, with people complaining about all the Novel threads, what we really needed are fake Novel threads. Brilliant maneuver!
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #161024 on: October 26, 2022, 02:58:27 pm »

maybe it was the dastardly noops scovel the whole time
Ask not!
Ask!