Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10734 10735 [10736] 10737 10738 ... 10984

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13208159 times)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #161025 on: October 27, 2022, 03:10:46 am »

Fake Novel threads are the fake news of the future!
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #161026 on: October 27, 2022, 05:01:30 am »

One step ahead of y'all then, huh?
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #161027 on: October 27, 2022, 05:10:11 am »

You know, with people complaining about all the Novel threads, what we really needed are fake Novel threads. Brilliant maneuver!
500 IQ play to get everyone making lively threads to rejuvenate the forum

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #161028 on: October 27, 2022, 07:01:58 am »

Dr. Frankenstein's school of rejuvenation.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161029 on: October 27, 2022, 07:24:21 am »

You know, with people complaining about all the Novel threads, what we really needed are fake Novel threads. Brilliant maneuver!
500 IQ play to get everyone making lively threads to rejuvenate the forum

I'm not sure if you could really call a thread that gets a dozen joky meme replies and then dies as it's buried under a mass of other spamed out threads "lively".

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #161030 on: October 27, 2022, 08:35:32 am »

I'm not sure if you could really call a thread that gets a dozen joky meme replies and then dies as it's buried under a mass of other spamed out threads "lively".
The brightest candles burn

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #161031 on: October 27, 2022, 09:36:15 am »

The brightest candles burn
So do the dimmest :p
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #161032 on: October 27, 2022, 11:33:25 am »

The Institute of Unfinished Sentences has concluded that 9 out of 10 people

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #161033 on: October 27, 2022, 11:37:12 am »

Are screaming in mental agony rn
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #161034 on: October 27, 2022, 12:16:46 pm »

Google Privacy Sandbox: On a trial basis, to make sure less tracking occurs, you give permission to Google to personalize ads to your browsing experience...
Oh, it gets worse.  I'm also signing on to get "trust tokens" placed on my computer by websites, and agreeing to ad measurements.
...why do I have Google Chrome again?!

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #161035 on: October 27, 2022, 01:02:20 pm »

Oh, this? https://developer.chrome.com/docs/privacy-sandbox/trust-tokens/

Looks like it's more to prove that the end user (you) is a real person and not a bot before serving an ad and increasing the ad view counter, or potentially sidestep 'verify you're a human' flows. This appears to be an alternative to fingerprinting your browser (checking your cookies, identifying who you are based on what browser/version/operating system/addons you have installed, etc - have a peek at this website if you want to know more: https://amiunique.org/ ), so if you log into Facebook, Facebook determines that you're a human, issues you a trust token, then other websites can check simply that you have a token, sees it's from Facebook, considers tokens from facebook to be reputable, and then serves you content without a) knowing who you are on facebook or the content of your cookies) or b) referencing other data cached about you or your browser, or c) assuming you're a bot and behaving differently as a result.

Ad measurement in this context likely means to determine whether or not you're being served an appropriate quantity of ads, AKA issuing and reading tokens is working for participating websites.

Speculating, this may lead to other fingerprint-preventative features being built. Pessimistically, I wonder if you can narrow down which sorts of ads you serve to a person if you're able to generalize their viewing habits based on which websites trust that you're human (e.g. people who log into facebook and fox news and a local telecom company) without specifically identifying you as Unique User with Chrome version 106 on Ubuntu Linux with a GrabMyBooks plugin, two novel fonts installed and support for a battery, which can then be leveraged to serve you ads for dog food because someone with the same fingerprint searched Amazon for dog food a week ago.

I'm almost unique on the internet according to that amiunique website almost solely on account for the fact that I use ubuntu and firefox version 105 (matching with 0.06% of users that are fingerprinted on the website), based just on the HTTP header attributes my browser serves the website. I'm totally unique if I let my browser serve javascript based on some of the fonts I have installed (<0.01%), and I'm apparently totally unique based on detected audio input devices.

Just disabling javascript puts me among the 12% of users in the all-time dataset that have been fingerprinted on the website.

Yes! You are unique among the 931813 fingerprints in our entire dataset.
*sad party noises*

« Last Edit: October 27, 2022, 01:04:44 pm by None »

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161036 on: October 27, 2022, 01:55:07 pm »

Sounds like doublespeak for: this token enables us to prove your identity to our clients or create some "attention profile" or something, which enables us to negotiate higher prices               .

I bet advertiser are starting to catch onto their tactics too... For a while I noticed a pattern where if I wouldn't agressively end the first ad at the 5 second mark, they were way more likely to put in a second, oftentimes unskippable ad of 15 seconds or so.

It's weird, I never had an adblocker in my life, even if my decisions can't affect trends I've allways felt that adblocking would lead to an ad armsrace. I'll mute a tab or move a window over or something to show ads the proper disrespect but I admit I'm too primitive about it. I wish there were something like ad spoofers:

Either make me pick the ad that is least irritating, like there was an ad once with some furniture and small potted plant or idk, with an absolute banger funk tune, I could have suffered through that ad for years... whereas the coolblue ad with the crappy bassheavy cheap microphone, that flashes between monochrome white and blue, I could assault it's creator. Really knowing how much worse it could be, I'd do a little dance at my 5 seconds of funk and laugh at those suckers who pay to show me this.

Or a little more hardware intensive: have something grab the entire datastream, spoof user activities like clicking after the 5 second ads, so the actual player can resume grabbing the video as quickly as possible, have it all saved it cache unless the users clears it so you can jump back and forth without triggering further ads... here is a dickish idea, make the player able to reconstruct the entire videodata in cache faster, by making it able to work with the same videostream running in parallel multiple times, then make that function paywalled.

If only I could do it myself.

Here is another idea, man this take is even more capitalistic FFA mindset: could paying for your own ads be cheaper :D...? How much does an ad rake in, must be in the cents right... How many could you serve to yourself before exceeding the price of a YT premium subscription, I'd be curious to know.

edit, lol where did that dot land?
Sounds like doublespeak for: this token enables us to prove your identity to our clients or create some "attention profile" or something, which enables us to negotiate higher prices               .
« Last Edit: October 27, 2022, 01:57:06 pm by dragdeler »
let

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #161037 on: October 27, 2022, 02:56:49 pm »

They don't need to build an attention profile based on trust tokens because they're already doing that based on your browsing habits and other fingerprinting, which is my entire point. The trust token isn't an identifying piece of information, just proof you've identified yourself elsewhere and therefore must be human, assuming Website B trusts that Website A is in fact validating that you are human.

I'm not saying I trust Chrome to do the right thing (they're killing adblockers soon here), but this is a matter of 'doing more (confirming that you exist as a human person) with less (personal information - NOT your identity).'

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #161038 on: October 27, 2022, 07:18:10 pm »

I'm not saying I trust Chrome to do the right thing (they're killing adblockers soon here)
haha, what

How is that going to last even two seconds, assuming it doesn't just substantively crater their userbase?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161039 on: October 27, 2022, 07:47:17 pm »

How is that going to last even two seconds, assuming it doesn't just substantively crater their userbase?

Firefox is definitely gonna get a boost from this. I best guest is that Google are thinking that only ad-block users are going to care, and since they’re essentially freeloading, their opinions don’t matter.

I think google’s main objective here is to prevent new people from discovering how much of a difference as-blocker actually makes. The new antivirus I got came with an adblocker and now that I accidentally got a taste, I don’t think I can ever go back.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2022, 07:51:33 pm by heydude6 »
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.
Pages: 1 ... 10734 10735 [10736] 10737 10738 ... 10984