Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10756 10757 [10758] 10759 10760 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13185718 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #161355 on: December 10, 2022, 06:08:32 am »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_electricity_consumption

Sort that by "per capita" and the US is far from first place. The countries you're listing for comparison are on the low end of industrialized nations, while having the advantage of a relatively cool climate (in most regions) and a near-total lack of electricity usage for heating. As far as residential use goes, climate conditioning is one of the biggest expenditures.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #161356 on: December 10, 2022, 06:18:29 am »

It should be noted that sexism (and consequently feminism) as it taken form in our modern Western cultures only really go back to the industrial revolution and its effects on the upper burghers class, so we shouldn't be surprised medieval gender roles/sexism were different. Sure, modern sexism has roots further back and other parts of it are constants, but many if the parts feminism rose against were directly caused by societal changes during the late renaissance/early modern age.

For example, the idea that women should stay at home is a clear modern concept -- to begin with, in medieval times, everybody stayed at home. Home was your workshop, whether you were a farmer or an artisan burgher, that's literally where you worked. The only people who didn't would be the percentage of paupers and laborers who went to labour every day, but in these families it was still common that the women also worked because they were very poor – you'd commonly find fields laboured solely by women which preneccessates a large group of female paupers to work them.

And for farmer families, well, these people were self-sufficiency farmers. Sure, tasks might have been heavily gendered, but you can't say women stayed at home not working because their duties involved spinning cloth when said cloth was literally how they paid their rent to their landlord just as much as the grains from the field (serf contracts most commonly stipulated rent be paid as X amount of cloth and grain per year).

(Side-note: the cloth production was actually what constituted something like 70% of a year's work on a farm. Mostly not "women's work", though, at least in Sweden the majority of it was considered "men's work" and only the spinning, the final part, was done by women)

And among the burghers, at least in the artisan families, we have women "assisting" their husbands in the workshop, and by "assisting" I mean literally being trained artisans in their own right working with their husbands, at least if the number of artisan widows we know of that continued their husband's businesses after their passing is to be taken into account. Sure, artisan wives are not as fullsure undeniable to have been working as farmwives, but again, they spent their whole life in that workshop. They grew up in it and watched their parents labour in it every day – again, this wasn't the case as it is in our society where the grownups leave every day for a workplace on the other side of town, these people literally had their workshops in their houses so it wasn't the case luke for us when a veterinarians child can grow up without even seeing their parent stuff their arms up the butt of a single cow, these children watched their parents work from the day they opened their eyes and it would be impossible for them to not learn the craft.

I am slowly approaching my point here, so please bear with me, because then lastly we have the merchant burghers, which is the first group of people for whom women not working was an option. And in the late renaissance/early modern time, the influence of this subclass explodes (as the artisan subclass dies due to industrialisation) we end up with it on the very top of society class hill in the 18th and 19th century. And that means they were the ones setting the standard for what is seen as "decent living" during those times, which included their wives not having to work (ironically, at least in England unless I'm remembering the location wrong, it was still considered prestigious to educate your daughters, they just wasn't supposed to actually do anything with their educations as adults). We still haven't reached a time where staying at home was even an attainable option for the vast majority of people, though: in the rurals the farmers kept sharing their work as they always had, and in the cities the impoverished masses needed everybody who could working as much as they could, both men, women, and children even. But idea of the burgher wives staying at home not working is constructed during these times, and this is where we get this idea from, and it keeps dominating society into the 20th century, where the short period of time for which it is attainable for the new, broader middle class during the middle of it results in the cementing of the idea of it "always having been that way", which is a blatantly untrue notion.

You're missing a very important factor here. It wasn't until very recently that having servants was not a fairly standard thing. In 1960 there were around 10 million live-in maids in the US. At a time when the US population was 180 million. A lot of the more modern idea of a "housewife" comes from middle-class people who couldn't afford a servant trying to ape that kind of life, with the mother of the house filling in as the servant.

I'm not sure what you think my point was because you sound like your taking a corrective tone but what you say seems to only reinforce what I was saying?

Women were absolutely oppressed prior to the industrial revolution, but due to those two above principles, most women weren't in any position to push back against it.

To be clear, I didn't mean to cone off as saying they weren't, just that our sexism and the context off the feminism that rise against it begins them. They were sexism earlier too, but in different ways.

It's like what I always sat when people try to claim that the old Norse were feminist or more gender equal: No, their social dynamics were different, and they has different gender roles compared to other contemporary cultures or our modern society, but they were still very much sexist. They just has a different culture of sexism.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_electricity_consumption

Sort that by "per capita" and the US is far from first place. The countries you're listing for comparison are on the low end of industrialized nations, while having the advantage of a relatively cool climate (in most regions) and a near-total lack of electricity usage for heating. As far as residential use goes, climate conditioning is one of the biggest expenditures.

Cool places usually means more energy going to heating them up though?
Love, scriver~

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #161357 on: December 10, 2022, 06:28:20 am »

Cool places usually means more energy going to heating them up though?

Yes, but Dragdeler was talking about electricity consumption, not total energy consumption. Most of the heating in those countries is obtained directly from fossil fuels, which aren't the same thing. You also have a lot of efficiency advantages if you're only building your housing to control one unpleasant temperature.

The US also relies a lot on direct fossil fuel burning, but the data I've seen suggests that electrical systems (in the form of inefficient resistive heating) are far more common here.  Meanwhile air conditioning is ubiquitous and obviously runs only on electricity.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161358 on: December 11, 2022, 02:21:35 am »

My what the fuck is the fact that the AC is on in my house, at one point it seemed like we were gonna have a cold winter but I guess not.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #161359 on: December 11, 2022, 07:06:17 am »

brrrrr - its 32 degrees American in my neighborhood rn
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #161360 on: December 11, 2022, 07:32:10 am »

I'm trying to think how I'd ever get my household electricity consumption down to 3600 kW-hr a year - that's only 300kW-hr/month. We are "very efficient" electrically for a US household: the past 12 months we averaged 433kW-hr a month (about 5200kW-hr/year) (and that is starting to include having an EV at home, which adds a massive amount; in November I used 236kW-hr just charging my EV!).

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #161361 on: December 11, 2022, 09:01:46 am »

I'm trying to think how I'd ever get my household electricity consumption down to 3600 kW-hr a year - that's only 300kW-hr/month. We are "very efficient" electrically for a US household: the past 12 months we averaged 433kW-hr a month (about 5200kW-hr/year) (and that is starting to include having an EV at home, which adds a massive amount; in November I used 236kW-hr just charging my EV!).

This is another point. Greenifying everything will inevitably increase electrical use, because electricity is a greener way to do a lot of tasks. Which is why expanding and cleaning the power grid is such a high priority.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161362 on: December 11, 2022, 10:44:43 am »

TBH I thought it would be more I can not explain why it isn't... We still have incandescent bulbs in our lightmix, our freezer isn't that efficient, I eat frozen pizza often, my desktop pc peaks at 600-700w, I even do a little horticulture mostly just starting the fellas a little sooner in the spring... I can't explain it, we've had years where we're closer to 5k.

All I know is I be guiltripping a lot about letting my desktop idle for nothing. And that at night I walk the corridors with a flashlight because there is no switch upstairs. Those are barely tips right?!
let

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #161363 on: December 11, 2022, 03:39:33 pm »

Imma post this here because there is simply no better place. I am manically giggling for no reason as I am writing this.

Something's going on in my noggin. You know, my brain. Weird things.

I am goin insane, perhaps wacky, one might even say crazy, I am losing my mind, my marbles, my bananas, I am falling off my rocker so to speak.

I am not kidding. Nothing feels right anymore.

My emotions are undescribable, I have no idea what they are. One moment I want to laugh like there is something so incredibly funny, and in another I am suddenly feeling almost empty with some weird, faint churning emotion swirling inside my mind.

I find that scary, though, at least I know that.

Anchoring myself back to reality helps somewhat. I do that by looking at the night sky. It makes me remember who and what I am, and my position in the universe.

Someone here said that it was my brain wiring itself to adulthood or something. Maybe this is just a part of growing up? I never heard "As you grow up, you will laugh for no reason" as a warning.

Let's hope I don't eventually end up in a mental hospital. My paternal line has a history of "eccentricity", and I am 99% percent sure I inherited those genes as well.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. With a new profile picture!

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161364 on: December 11, 2022, 05:59:28 pm »

I had some of that around your age due to crushing mental pressure. At least in my case the process of getting out from under my parents' thumbs made me a lot more stable.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #161365 on: December 11, 2022, 09:27:26 pm »

Rewatching Tenet for the first time, with a lot of understanding that wasn't there previously.

Weirdly, it's more confusing. Not because I don't get the plot, but because my brain's adapted a bit too well to understanding inversion, and now it's working on the basis that it can happen in real life, so I keep spending a few moments where my brain double-checks that, say, a tea bag isn't inverted.

It'll wear off soon enough, but in the meantime it's just making me feel super funky.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161366 on: December 12, 2022, 12:23:37 am »

Publisher of a game in 2022 announcing a price cut to Russian purchasers of a game because

some countries who were hit hard by inflation got caught in a bit of the international crossfire and had their indie game prices shoot up 500%, which probably feels harsh for folks just trying to live their lives.

WTF.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2022, 12:25:40 am by Strife26 »
Even the avatars expire eventually.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #161367 on: December 12, 2022, 07:17:00 am »

They're selling an entertainment product to russian players.  It's a gesture of goodwill to a russian fanbase, or a virtue signal.

I dont think video games are subject to sanctions, whether or not they should be making an exception for Russians, or for them instead of anyone else, idk
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161368 on: December 12, 2022, 11:04:28 am »

Regional pricing is not that strange of a concept. It's the need to make a loud announcement that I personally find weird. Plus considering how low the ruble has fallen, the devs must be practically giving the game away for free.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #161369 on: December 12, 2022, 11:50:05 am »

Well, I think Toady just feels that there's enough people in Russia that cannot be blamed for the war in Ukraine (of whom some frequent these forums), and the regional price change will allow those people to buy the game.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479
Pages: 1 ... 10756 10757 [10758] 10759 10760 ... 10983