Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10757 10758 [10759] 10760 10761 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13185640 times)

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #161371 on: December 13, 2022, 08:54:56 am »

All of life is just one cell which got a bit crazy with the dividing.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161372 on: December 14, 2022, 06:19:28 pm »

So I'm at my office today, I'm by myself and really doing nothing much, and I have one of the office computers turned on and on youtube just to play some light music as I do things around the office. These computers don't have any kind of ad blocker, and these are company computers so IIRC I'm not allowed to download anything on to them, so the ads get to stay for now. The point is: I've forgotten how absurdly irritating these ads are. Most ads are multiple minute presentations that dawdle around with the message and the narrator is literal text-to-speech. I'd think 30 seconds would be a good length for an ad, 1 minute if you're really pushing it, but some of these are busting 10 minutes long. I'm forced to stop whatever I'm doing in the office to go to the computer and forcefully skip the ad.

The final boss of these ads though came a bit later, when I was trying to concentrate on some training material on another computer, my music is interrupted and the ad is some nondescript guys talking. Just talking talking talking about nothing much, and after a while my threshold for it is surpassed and I have to get up just to see what the hell kind of ad could last for so long... and I get the dooziest piece of bullshit I've ever seen on Youtube:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

OVER AN HOUR LONG! It's not even an ad! It's like some kind of interview between some numbnuts that nobody would ever care about. Why would Youtube interrupt my tunes with this drivel?! I'm just flabbergasted.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2022, 06:22:11 pm by JoshuaFH »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #161373 on: December 14, 2022, 07:28:54 pm »

Yeah I got that the other day and it was some awful Prager U-esque "news" roundup where the hosts were making pronouns jokes and the runtime was similarly about an hour.

I hope they payed out the nose for that ad impression.
Comments disabled on their video of course.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #161374 on: December 14, 2022, 08:40:30 pm »

For what it's worth, if you're doing light music and can't reasonably install some kind of adblocker, you're probably better off with dedicated non-youtube music websites... online radio, basically. They tend to be more reasonable on the ads. Can't recommend any, 'cause the place I've been working doesn't have a problem with adblockers so I haven't had to deal with that horseshit when I'm piping windchimes and birdsong or whatever, but some of my less tech-savvy coworkers run some stuff occasionally.

... anyway, other than that, it might not hurt to just sling a question about the blocker to whoever runs IT for your joint? They may not care if you run it by them first.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161375 on: December 14, 2022, 08:50:50 pm »

Nah, the precise situation where I have the freedom to play music is rare. Dull days with noone around with a nearly guaranteed chance of nothing happening. That was probably the last one of those kinds of days, so no reason to bother IT. And the ads weren't a big deal, I was just astonished that Youtube would go so hog crazy with them.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #161376 on: December 14, 2022, 09:31:50 pm »

I sold my first NFTs.  JFC what a terrible experience this has been.

I received a couple of free reddit NFTs because Im apparently a pretty prominent poster on a few stock forums over there.  I signed up for coinbase, and they forced me to deposit a min of $10.  okay.  Then I had to make a wallet and connect it to an auction house.  fine.

I had to buy a certain blockchain they used as currency (and pay a fee) and then transfer it to my wallet (and pay a fee).  I discovered after I transfered the money that I sent it to 'the wrong network' (ethereum instead of polygon) and though I still don't really know what that means I discovered I couldn't 'change it over' to the right network because I lacked the appropriate token for that, so I could only buy more currency (and pay a fee) and then transfer it to the right network (and pay a fee).

This all being done, I could send the NFT to the auction house and then send the payment token back to my coinbase account (and pay a fee) before being told I can cash it out into USD (and pay a fee) before sending it to a bank account.

YOU NOTICING A THEME HERE?  >:( >:( >:(
« Last Edit: December 14, 2022, 09:34:07 pm by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #161377 on: December 14, 2022, 10:15:14 pm »

Does NFT stand for Nasty Fee Takers?
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #161378 on: December 14, 2022, 10:32:40 pm »

It’s the internet equivalent of selling plots of the moon.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #161379 on: December 14, 2022, 10:33:26 pm »

Hey, "Non-fun" is right there in the name of "non-fungible token."

It's my understanding that most of the hype behind NFTs is since past, so maybe it's a good warning if the process to manage them was painful.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161380 on: December 14, 2022, 10:39:49 pm »

So wait, you actually managed to SELL the NFT? The scam is that they get you to buy in, and then you're left with a lot of shitty, unsellable JPG's. Everything else is just fluff and buzzwords to give the facade of legitimacy.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161381 on: December 14, 2022, 10:43:50 pm »

haha, I assume they gave us free NFTs to seed the market with their new line of NFTs.  I have no clue how to value an NFT, read the market, or a desire to track more markets than I do now.  I sold at a lowball offer to a hopeful.  I made enough to justify my pain... and I got to learn more about crypto.

I agree with you guys that it's past its prime and a ponzi scheme.  The fact that it does have value, however fleeting, gives it legitimacy though.
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161382 on: December 15, 2022, 03:25:26 am »

The final boss of these ads though came a bit later, when I was trying to concentrate on some training material on another computer, my music is interrupted and the ad is some nondescript guys talking. Just talking talking talking about nothing much, and after a while my threshold for it is surpassed and I have to get up just to see what the hell kind of ad could last for so long... and I get the dooziest piece of bullshit I've ever seen on Youtube:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

OVER AN HOUR LONG! It's not even an ad! It's like some kind of interview between some numbnuts that nobody would ever care about. Why would Youtube interrupt my tunes with this drivel?! I'm just flabbergasted.
I got an add like that years ago and it had no skip button, I don't know why they include shit like that.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161383 on: December 15, 2022, 07:24:13 am »

Just air the whole podcast; brilliant!  I've heard that the length of the ad has no bearing on it's cost or payout - rather the limiters are on the short side, not the long.

So they probably didn't have to pay much for the extra airtime! :b
PKs DF Mod!

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161384 on: December 15, 2022, 08:21:24 am »

Tell me you're vaguely right wing without telling me you're vaguely right wing. I miss my plugin that would filter out yt channels, anything that has money to promote it's content is invalid.
let
Pages: 1 ... 10757 10758 [10759] 10760 10761 ... 10983