Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10784 10785 [10786] 10787 10788 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13187378 times)

Thorfinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #161775 on: January 19, 2023, 03:04:29 pm »

And, no, by shelling cities, I mean not Putin but the periodic shells the Ukrainian "paramilitaries" have been lobbing into Luhansk and Donetsk over the last 8 years. Y'know, after Obama engineered a coup in Kiev in 2014.
Obama didn't engineer a fucking coup.
I'm sure that comes as a surprise to the likes of Victoria Nuland, who thinks that and even testified that she managed the changeover, including which people were selected for which posts after Maidan, Robert Kagan, who put the money and propaganda into it, and, heck, all the rest of our neocons, who believed they were setting up a vassal state. Which, coincidentally...

Now I doubt our little Vicky was anywhere near as influential as she thinks. She's just not bright enough to realize she was a puppet.

Regardless, you do agree that eastern Ukraine desired closer ties with Russia, and western Ukraine with the EU, right?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #161776 on: January 19, 2023, 03:37:20 pm »

I'm sure that comes as a surprise to the likes of Victoria Nuland, who thinks that and even testified that she managed the changeover, including which people were selected for which posts after Maidan, Robert Kagan, who put the money and propaganda into it, and, heck, all the rest of our neocons, who believed they were setting up a vassal state. Which, coincidentally...

Now I doubt our little Vicky was anywhere near as influential as she thinks. She's just not bright enough to realize she was a puppet.

Don't know what the hell you've been reading, but Nuland and Pyatt did, in fact, have a long phone call discussing how to manage the aftermath of the change in power - there's no evidence at all that this involved discussions with the Ukrainian government and commands to put this or that person in a given slot. This is because Pyatt was the United States Ambassador to Ukraine, and identifying who the new people were going to be is a key part of their goddamn job. There was also discussion of whether the United Nations or the European Union would be a better outside advisor to forming the new government. Later on, after Russia sparked their semi-clandestine invasion, Nuland coordinated aid and advised Ukraine to start serious crackdowns on corruption. This was specifically because the new government issued specific "help us get this mess under control" requests. The new government was not a puppet in any way, shape, or form. But Russian propaganda has been strongly pushing that narrative in the hope that Useful Idiots will hamper attempts to block opposition to Russian empire building.

Robert Kagan is a neoconservative scholar that would have been extremely unlikely to aid the Obama administration (he was a hardline Republican until 2016, when he switched parties due to Trump) in any way, and does not appear to have taken any position on the issue at all.

Regardless, you do agree that eastern Ukraine desired closer ties with Russia, and western Ukraine with the EU, right?

First, that's irrelevant. The country as a whole - not individual regions - makes the decisions, and the populace was overwhelmingly in favor of seeking closer relations with the EU.

Second, there was no talk of reducing ties with Russia - linking with the EU was intended to give a wider network, not a replacement. Putin didn't like it because he wanted Ukraine to be a helpless supplicant totally dependent on Russia.

Third, there's a very real chance it isn't accurate. Most of the "Eastern Ukraine really loves Russia!!" polling comes from after Putin pulled the oldest trick in the book and flooded it with Little Green Men.

On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Thorfinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161777 on: January 19, 2023, 04:00:06 pm »

OK.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #161778 on: January 20, 2023, 08:41:56 pm »

... man, they put Lone Digger in a Disney movie.

Like, on its own that's not that big of a deal (the song slaps hard, the scene in Strange World is cute, kudos to Caravan Palace for getting their stuff in a major-ish film), but the wtf comes from the song's official animated music video: It takes place in a anthro strip club and goes from there to alcohol and ultraviolence, ending with bodies all over the place while a barely clothed busty antelope finishes their routine while covered in blood.

It's impressive Disney chose to put a song associated with that in one of their animated movies, heh, 'cause there's probably going to be some surprised people when they go and look it up.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #161779 on: January 20, 2023, 08:46:46 pm »

It's a fantastic video, but I just had a thought- the cats are drinking milk, right?
I never thought twice about that before, but...
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • what about full of shit? is that a meme too?
    • View Profile
« Reply #161780 on: January 20, 2023, 09:07:15 pm »

Good video, good song.
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #161781 on: January 20, 2023, 09:23:49 pm »

It's a fantastic video, but I just had a thought- the cats are drinking milk, right?
I never thought twice about that before, but...
The cats are drinking shots of something milk colored, at least, that's served in something that looks like a old-timey milk bottle (context being what it is, it could easily be a themed white russian or somethin' along those lines) -- the dogs are absolutely drinking something more traditionally booze colored and the donkey/dude has something very strongly implied to be alcoholic by the other video they're in.

But yeah, the cats are 100% drinking something that's supposed to look like milk. It adds an extra layer to the whole thing, what with how cats are lactose intolerant :V
« Last Edit: January 20, 2023, 09:25:42 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #161782 on: January 20, 2023, 09:28:34 pm »

Maybe it's milk-plus Alex and his droogs were drinking. Seems to have similar effect too.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #161783 on: January 20, 2023, 11:15:26 pm »

Wasn’t that just spiked milk?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #161784 on: January 20, 2023, 11:16:42 pm »

I've been fucking around with chat AIs, and they're scarily good. I remember the days of cleverbot where it'd go off on random non-sequiturs and such. Now you're able to hold a proper philosophical argument with them, and while they aren't thinking and are just drawing on what others have said, they can do so to such a degree that they'll actually debate your points.

It's really cool, but it makes me wonder what the hell they'll be used for. They get good enough and I can see them being made into some sort of Halo-esque "Logic Plague"
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #161785 on: January 20, 2023, 11:17:00 pm »

People keep asking me about whether it's hard to work with DF's code. I... actually don't know why? I think people have this misapprehension about what makes code difficult to understand, or something? Codebases made by one (1) programmer are the least likely to be a problem.

Or I'm some sort of terrifying prodigy, who knows. I think the "codebase that is maybe a little crusty but since it's consistent the crust is something you can acclimate to in hours rather than weeks or months" makes more sense as an explanation?

Like, look at something like Cataclysm DDA or, even worse, SS13, and you'll find a horrid hodgepodge of clashing Opinions on code with the consistency only in style because it's enforced by the CI (in CDDA's case lol). With DF I see one guy's Opinions, which I can just sort of pick up as soon as I see them?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #161786 on: January 20, 2023, 11:27:08 pm »

DF's codebase is memetically terrible -- it's been half joke and half misapprehension for... years, now, something that's been exaggerated by, well, most people not being able to see it, just the bugs that originate from it. That doesn't mean it's actually terrible, just that it has a reputation for it, heh. You're being asked if it's hard to joust a giant by folks unaware it's more a kinda' old windmill.
Ask not!
Ask!

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #161787 on: January 21, 2023, 01:13:18 am »

And, no, by shelling cities, I mean not Putin but the periodic shells the Ukrainian "paramilitaries" have been lobbing into Luhansk and Donetsk over the last 8 years. Y'know, after Obama engineered a coup in Kiev in 2014.

Obama didn't engineer a fucking coup. That's a straight-up lie - the President of the time sparked massive protests by illegally refusing to follow the decisions of the elected parliament (which, due to large public support, wanted to improve economic ties with the EU in order to seek eventual membership) in order to obey Putin's orders (which was that Ukraine was a vassal state of Russia that doesn't have the right to conduct their own diplomacy). This lead to the death of dozens of protestors and the Ukrainian Parliament forced the President to resign. Putin declared this a coup because his lapdog was no longer obeying his orders.

There has been shelling in those regions - because there's been a fucking civil war going after Putin flooded the areas with "separatists" in an attempt to give him a fig leaf to steal large parts of the country. You know, as a prelude to his "There is no such thing as a Ukrainian" war of extermination against the entire country.
But you see, TEH EVIL AMERIKA is responsible for everything!!!111!1!!1!!!1!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #161788 on: January 21, 2023, 01:50:59 am »

Putnam you are a terrifying coding prodigy from our perspective. Especially from how much you accomplished without access to the source code.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161789 on: January 21, 2023, 02:07:50 am »

But you see, TEH EVIL AMERIKA is responsible for everything!!!111!1!!1!!!1!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Damn them mericans, doing all those things and such!
*shakes fist*
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?
Pages: 1 ... 10784 10785 [10786] 10787 10788 ... 10983