Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10787 10788 [10789] 10790 10791 ... 10973

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 12997412 times)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #161820 on: January 30, 2023, 02:35:36 am »

Isn't Putin know for making hollow threats like that though?

Also the UN seems like a bunch of douches that pretend to do something but never actually do anything.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #161821 on: January 30, 2023, 04:43:02 am »

So threatening to not interfere with genociding the people of Ukraine is not worth starting a war over.

What does this sentence even mean? Who's doing the threatening? How could Putin be threatening to not interfere in Ukraine?

Are you saying the UK isn't interfering in the situation in Ukraine? It's sent £2.3 billion of military aid. Is it threatening to not interfere? It's comitted to sending the same amount this year.

More broadly, if you think the UK should start a direct and committed war with Russia, you're advocating for nuclear conflict, no two ways about it. Likely US-Russia nuclear conflict, in fact, but at the very least the genocide of the UK population on a scale that would make Ukraine look like a border squabble. I don't think you get to demand the total obliteration of millions of civilians because Putin said something. Ever heard of a Chinese final warning? Leaders make them because they're weak, not because they're willing to carry them out.
One wheel short of a wagon

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #161822 on: January 30, 2023, 06:44:02 am »

The WTF is, why didn't the Uk declare war on Russia for that?

Firstly, the exchange, if it happened, wasn't recorded on either side's official transcript of the call. It would be nigh-on impossible to justify war to the international community.

Secondly, Boris stresses the familiar tone of the conversation - and that it seemed Putin was mocking him within the context of their conversation. He was not stating anything approaching a foreign policy.

And thirdly, what NJW said. We both have nukes. There's a reason the American-Russian war remained cold.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #161823 on: January 30, 2023, 10:14:54 am »

The war did not start because Boris Johnson did not record it.

In the short term, this is good for UK and for Russia. It means they do not have to fight a war with each other. Of course, if they did, I'd expect UK not to use nukes unless Putin actually tried to use them first.

In the long term, this is bad for everybody except warmongers. If you are not willing to defend peace, you lose to those who are willing to go to war over trivial things.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Perhaps I'll
    • View Profile
« Reply #161824 on: January 30, 2023, 07:38:45 pm »

Do you really think that a nuclear power can just go declare war on another nuclear power and not escalate to nuclear war? That in no way serves peace.
Down at the bottom of the ocean. Beneath tons of brine which would crush you down. Not into broken and splintered flesh, but into thin soup. Into just more of the sea water. Where things live that aren't so different from you, but you will never live to touch them and they will never live to touch you.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #161825 on: January 30, 2023, 08:26:01 pm »

You know, given the distance involved and the limited force projection capabilities of both  contemporary Russia and the UK, I think they'd struggle to fight a conventional war at all (without multinational support)
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #161826 on: January 30, 2023, 08:57:12 pm »

The Brits of Ye Olde Empire managed to fight wars.

It's words, and as mean as those words are you dont go to war over a vague bit of posturing.  You do sanction people and start proxy wars and shut off gas to Europe and send tanks to ukraine over it though.  Just saying.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161827 on: January 31, 2023, 02:24:08 am »

If we went to war with everyone that said crap like that we'd all have been dead decades ago.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #161828 on: January 31, 2023, 11:45:13 am »

So threatening to not interfere with genociding the people of Ukraine is not worth starting a war over.

Ceteram censeo Putinist Russia esse delendam

I dunno man. The whole reason the UN was formed after WW2 was to prevent shite like that from ever happening again.
What is the UK supposed to do? Start sending missiles over moscow? Wars should be a matter of last resort, and when you embark upon war, you should do so prepared and with a clear win state in mind. The last time the UK engaged its forces in an ill-thought out Crimean intervention, it bled the lives of many of its men to achieve a settlement it could have already achieved through politics. All in all the UK's response has been admirable; we were training Ukrainian regulars in NATO style warfare even before the Americans were, and for all of Boris Johnson's many failings, his consistent support for Ukraine was commendable; Zelensky even saying he felt the UK was amongst Ukraine's allies as one of the only interested in actually helping Ukraine win, rather than just bleed the Russians. (The Polish are interested in both). Assassinations and use of chemical weapons is haram, but is best met with a proportional response - unequivocal support of Ukraine, sanctions and so on. You also have to be careful with how you respond to such skulduggery, else you'd also have to declare war on states like Israel for using British passports to carry out assassinations or coerce british MPs. Proportional responses. On the practical side of things, the UK armed forces are still very much geared for expeditionary conflict, and is not really prepared for a sustained continental European campaign - our MPs have for years been talking about how "a tank battle in Europe is not possible" and as such have been cutting all the personnel and equipment you would need to prosecute a continental European campaign. We have pretty ships that lack sufficient weapons engineers. We have fine aircraft that lack reserve pilots. We have elite light infantry brigades without sufficient transport options, and almost every single one of our infantry brigades are under strength. Our challenger 2 tank fleet is being halved, and even if we wanted to order new challenger 2s, they're no longer in production. The successor tank system Ajax is looking like it will be scrapped altogether. Couple that with the fact that any naval intervention in the black sea has to come through the bosphorous with Turkiye's permission... And with the Russians knowing exactly where your ships are, which is a prime missile attracting option, there are limited options for the UK military to directly attack Russia's heartlands in any strategic sense that doesn't escalate into nuclear war.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #161829 on: February 03, 2023, 01:49:15 pm »

Friggin' dream brain created an execution method, punishment for having an illicit cable box (with over 600 channels!) installed in your home. It's a life sized recliner chair made of lego bricks, built to float somehow or another. You're strapped into it, alive, pushed out to sea, and then the thing is set on fire. Plastic themed funeral barge, except you're screaming when it's lit up.

Folks really should have made it clear to their kid they shouldn't be talking about the second TV outside the house :-\
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #161830 on: February 03, 2023, 01:58:44 pm »

A LEGO barge would float well. Legos trap air underneath them and seal together pretty tight, and they aren't that dense themselves. It would probably take a while for it to get water logged.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #161831 on: February 03, 2023, 02:30:24 pm »

Legos are also surprisingly non-flammable, don't ask.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #161832 on: February 03, 2023, 02:40:21 pm »

Hello soulmate!

I remember as a child saying "hey mom and dad, the lightbulb in my room burned out..." and having to explain why I needed it.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161833 on: February 04, 2023, 03:12:08 am »

When I was little I managed to make a boat from legos that floated pretty well, while the airplane I made didn't work out well at all, took quite a while to find all the bits and put it back together.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #161834 on: February 04, 2023, 05:46:36 am »

add enough oxygen to something and the fire will go from "mmm yes this is not fuel" to "mmmmm yummy incendiary concrete my favourite"
Pages: 1 ... 10787 10788 [10789] 10790 10791 ... 10973