Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10812 10813 [10814] 10815 10816 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13172310 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #162195 on: March 15, 2023, 02:49:01 pm »

Eyeballing the firefox sea, it's like... 3/5ths music/gaming related youtube vids, 2/5ths reading/reading adjacent (manga, webcomics), and then maybe 1/5th life-maintenance junk (bills, etc.) and miscellaneous (i.e. b12 and such). The tablet's opera ocean (can't even estimate, but it's somewhere well over 300) is probably 9/10ths reading, 1/10th stuff-not-that. I close tabs pretty regularly, but, like. I read voraciously, on the tune of a trade paperback's worth daily as a baseline, slow-day-busy-with-other-things level, and I'll bounce between several stories at once, follow recs several layers down, open stuff up for later perusal, etc. The behavior translates to wandering around let's play stuff and music, too.

It's definitely not common browsing behavior, but it's genuinely not difficult to build up like this if you're just willing to roam a bit and don't close tabs until you're proper done with it and don't intend to come back or branch off.

I'm not nearly as extensive at work, but I still end up with a few dozen tabs pretty regularly (on top of a bit under a dozen baseline, pre-opened to sites I use regularly, there's like six on chrome and then another four or five on firefox, there), especially when I'm dealing with batches of books that might have me looking at several dozen individual items more or less at the same time or in rapid sequential order. It's just a matter of opening tabs as needed and leaving them up if there's a possibility you might come back to it in the near future for some reason. Saves you from having to navigate back or whatever if the page you'd need to use is already up.

A fair amount of it all is just 'cause I don't like using bookmarks. I've found I'll regularly come back to open tabs, sooner or later, but bookmarked stuff just never gets seen again. Something about it functionally being stuck in a filing cabinet as opposed to still sitting on your desk means it ne'er gets touched again, y'know?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #162196 on: March 15, 2023, 02:50:24 pm »

Probably an issue of people letting their browser reopen all tabs after relaunching. I do it here for work since I have many work pages I need to use.

But at home my browser doesn't get to remember or reopen shit.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #162197 on: March 15, 2023, 02:53:06 pm »

That does enable the behavior more than just about anything, true. It's a blessing, heh.

... not having it wouldn't nix it entirely, though. My current firefox instance appears to have a fourteen day uptime, so, y'know.
Ask not!
Ask!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162198 on: March 15, 2023, 03:00:14 pm »

I'm the kind of person that shuts their PC down every day.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #162199 on: March 15, 2023, 03:45:03 pm »

Relatively quick check has laptop firefox at ~784 tabs open (+/- 22, I might have added twice or failed to add one count). Works fine, though I sorta' have to close it occasionally to let the memory impact shrink back down. It goes up as you actually look at more distinct tabs.

Tablet opera has... I'unno, several hundred, too. Harder to count on that. It's vaguely amazing it's working at all, even while crashing regularly, tbh. It's incredibly obvious at this point I'm putting way too much stress on the poor thing, heh.

Bookmarks are for plebs, just leave the website open forever.
TvTropes or Warhammer40K?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #162200 on: March 15, 2023, 03:52:43 pm »

I think it's been over a year since I opened a TVtropes link, heh. None open now. WH40k -- Game Workshop's stuff in general -- I've been avoiding since a while back. Them fucking with modders and whatnot a ways back bought them some ill will.
Ask not!
Ask!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162201 on: March 15, 2023, 07:17:38 pm »

This hasn't made me WTF today. Rather it's been making me WTF for the last 2 years. Hell I may have even ranted about it here before.

I've been trying to get rid of Jerma videos in my Youtube recommends for easily two years. Scoured my history for all references and removed them. (There was one, way early on.)

Since then, Jerma videos, clip channels, fan channels, constantly filter into my Youtube feed.

Youtube seems convinced that I should be watching Jerma videos.

You know what? F.U.C.K. J.E.R.M.A. Maybe their videos are good, maybe there's a really likeable Youtuber! I don't give a fuck! The Algorithm attempting to force that shit into my brain instantly makes me resent them, the same way I resent garden-variety commercials and advertising.

Unfortunately because they're so popular and there are so many parasites making content out of their content, it's literally like pulling weeds in my youtube feed.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #162202 on: March 15, 2023, 07:26:11 pm »

I don’t know how to do it on PC, but on PS4 I can tell it to specifically not recommend me a channel, which has worked even on channels I was formerly subscribed to.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #162203 on: March 15, 2023, 07:39:44 pm »

The block channel button you get from clicking on the triple dots below the video should work just fine to block it.

It won't catch the side channel stuff, but if you diligently block them as well it should eventually catch on and stop recommending them to you.

(Of course if you have *already* been using that button and it hasn't worked then I don't really got any advice for you).
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #162204 on: March 15, 2023, 07:49:02 pm »

I'm pretty sure nenj has mentioned they have spent time diligently telling the side channel stuff to sod off, to no avail, if my memory's not failing me. Youtube's just been rather literally remarkably persistent in recommending this particular whoever they are.

But yeah i'm over here and i think nenj talking about them is the only time i've seen the name, so :V
Ask not!
Ask!

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #162205 on: March 15, 2023, 08:04:56 pm »

I'm the kind of person that shuts their PC down every day.
See, I thought keeping your computer neat and clean was normal. Hygienic. Like brushing one's teeth.
But looks like we're Browser Quakers here.

(...)Something about it functionally being stuck in a filing cabinet as opposed to still sitting on your desk means it ne'er gets touched again, y'know?
It's the modern-day equivalent of not ever cleaning your room because I won't be able to find anything, mum. :P

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162206 on: March 15, 2023, 08:17:50 pm »

PCs are like toilets. Flush them when you're done. Leaving things on for days and weeks and months is how shit gets fucky. I work in Tech Support. If more people shut their PCs down and applied updates and packages and just reset things more often, they'd call me less.

I'm pretty sure nenj has mentioned they have spent time diligently telling the side channel stuff to sod off, to no avail, if my memory's not failing me. Youtube's just been rather literally remarkably persistent in recommending this particular whoever they are.

Yeah. I have been on a fucking crusade telling Youtube not to recommend me channels that have Jerma content. I've blocked over 70 of them. But then some 12 year old decides to start a Youtube career reposting Jerma content, and lo, Youtube thinks I want to see it. Again.

I wish Youtube had like a "don't recommend content like this" feature but knowing the data logistics, that would be really hard to do. You'd have to let people choose what element of a video you don't want to have recommended. Is it, "Skits" or "Jerma" or "Gaming" or "Blah?" And basically expose Algo tags, and they won't do that.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #162207 on: March 15, 2023, 08:24:10 pm »

The only reason I don't have 700 tabs is that I turn off my computer every day and close all the tabs. I read lots of wikis like TvTropes.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #162208 on: March 15, 2023, 08:54:07 pm »

I turn off my computer every night, but I'm glad my 4 windows with several hundred tabs come back  :P
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #162209 on: March 15, 2023, 08:56:21 pm »

PSYCHO streamer HACKS youtube algorithm to force normal user to watch jerma clips.

:D
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.
Pages: 1 ... 10812 10813 [10814] 10815 10816 ... 10983