Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10817 10818 [10819] 10820 10821 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13172615 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #162270 on: March 20, 2023, 02:23:48 pm »

Nenjin's shonen powers fully unlocked.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #162271 on: March 20, 2023, 03:17:51 pm »

Nenjin's shonen powers fully unlocked.
You could probably get far in life speaking in shonen protagonist, like that one guy who got a job by speaking in nothing but Duke Nukem quotes

"Ah it's another shit monday again"
"Never give up! With friends, anything is possible!"

"Hey you're pretty good at this game,"
"You're not that bad yourself," said over the shoulder whilst leaving the room. This is true even mid-game, or if you are gaming online and not they are not even in the same room as you

You could probably program an AI to speak in shonen protagonist. "He's fast!" "OUAUAGHH" "I adapt quickly to overcome any obstacle!"

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #162272 on: March 20, 2023, 10:57:35 pm »

I mean…I’m sitting here getting color put in my hair for the first time in my life because I’ve always wanted green hair since I was a kid. I’m doing it for myself, fo reals. Does that make me less manly?
If it does, I don't know what to tell you. I routinely had teal, blue, and pink in my hair when I was actively cage fighting. I'm thinking about doing pink again, tbh.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #162273 on: March 21, 2023, 10:37:25 am »

I'm attempting to make a dish from my favorite restaurant that a friend of mine got hooked on shortly before the place closed down.

The problem: I've gone through at least five different recipes for this one specific dish so far, and none of them can agree with each other.

Dry roast the spices for the tomato-coconut paste? Roast in oil? Coconut? What paste?

Fennel seeds? Coriander seeds? The one guy who apparently does it with poppy seeds instead?

Yes sambhar powder? No sambhar powder? Roast some chickpeas yourself instead? Roast some chickpeas, also yes powder?

I'm basically just resorting to making a frankenstein amalgamation of different recipes in an attempt to make something... Passable, at least. As "authentic" seems to be out of the question as a definite concept.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #162274 on: March 21, 2023, 12:54:41 pm »

Authentic is moving goal. When it becomes static recipe it dies. My local malaysian restaurant man said he'd been changing the recipe of his laksa soup for the last five years and only I noticed (I eat there every week though). For the majority, the authenticity stayed exactly the same, even though he was altering the soup to cater to local tastes

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #162275 on: March 21, 2023, 01:18:21 pm »

Probably will need some experimentation to make something you like. Or maybe you could find the owner or a cook who worked at the restaurant?
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #162276 on: March 21, 2023, 01:44:22 pm »

Authentic is moving goal. When it becomes static recipe it dies. My local malaysian restaurant man said he'd been changing the recipe of his laksa soup for the last five years and only I noticed (I eat there every week though). For the majority, the authenticity stayed exactly the same, even though he was altering the soup to cater to local tastes

Yeah. Like trying to find a recipe for like, Mulligatawny soup? Every region in India does it differently, and when they come to the states they alter the recipe even further.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #162277 on: March 21, 2023, 02:13:33 pm »

Animals pass down traditional knowledge, avoiding fences that no longer exist, because that's what their ancestors taught them

Leading to an apparent "ghost fence" mentality

There's probably some useful commentary here relating to human culture, and how a useful piece of knowledge or practice can often persist long after its useful adaptation becomes a hindrance

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162278 on: March 21, 2023, 06:02:38 pm »

You don’t need a convoluted metaphor to make that statement about human culture. They’ve studied monkeys by deliberately enforcing certain rules with punishments upon the whole group if a single monkey broke them, and then introducing new monkeys into the fray who weren’t aware of the regulations.

The veteran monkeys would punish the new monkeys when they broke rules (scientists had stopped enforcing them at that point) and the new monkeys would punish even newer monkeys that were introduced.

Eventually the original veterans were removed from the area, but the monkeys still regulated each other. A traditional had been formed, which then survived long after the original reason for it was made obsolete.

Wish I remembered more details…
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #162279 on: March 21, 2023, 06:25:30 pm »

You don’t need a convoluted metaphor to make that statement about human culture. They’ve studied monkeys by deliberately enforcing certain rules with punishments upon the whole group if a single monkey broke them, and then introducing new monkeys into the fray who weren’t aware of the regulations.

The veteran monkeys would punish the new monkeys when they broke rules (scientists had stopped enforcing them at that point) and the new monkeys would punish even newer monkeys that were introduced.

Eventually the original veterans were removed from the area, but the monkeys still regulated each other. A traditional had been formed, which then survived long after the original reason for it was made obsolete.

... that was a story, not an actual study.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #162280 on: March 21, 2023, 07:20:57 pm »

Although the story is from a self-help book called 'Competing For The Future', it doesn't have a source (in a self-help book?! Well I never!). There were similar experiments that, although not so perfectly effective as the story, do represent a parallel phenomena.

Some monkeys were punished for touching an object. Naive cohorts were placed in a room with that object. One monkey tried to protect its cohort and the others displayed threat and fear postures, which I can't tell if that's 'don't do it!' Or 'ohhh this is going to be bad.'

Stephenson, G. R. (1967). Cultural acquisition of a specific learned response among rhesus monkeys. In: Starek, D., Schneider, R., and Kuhn, H. J. (eds.), Progress in Primatology, Stuttgart: Fischer, pp. 279-288.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162281 on: March 22, 2023, 01:25:47 am »

Another forum I'm on had a bot show up that was advertising the sale of methamphetamine as candy, seems kind of strange to see that stuff being sold out in the open like that.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #162282 on: March 22, 2023, 02:54:13 am »

The kitchen bots have finally learned to sell something people will buy.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Travis Bickle

• Bay Watcher
  • *paranoia intensifies*
    • View Profile
« Reply #162283 on: March 22, 2023, 03:33:21 am »

Cum his qui oderunt pacem eram pacificus.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #162284 on: March 22, 2023, 05:41:11 am »

Truly, peacemakers among those who hate peace  :P
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread
Pages: 1 ... 10817 10818 [10819] 10820 10821 ... 10983