Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10818 10819 [10820] 10821 10822 ... 10980

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13138618 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #162285 on: March 22, 2023, 07:19:03 am »

I don't get why the thought bubble snd the final two
Love, scriver~

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162286 on: March 22, 2023, 09:40:16 am »

Learned helplesness basically... That experiment you posted is like a pillarstone of my worldview, but also an oversimplification and "well actually" except I didn't find the "well actually that convincing" and kinda forgot allready... Something about the experiment didn't happen as commonly described negligeable nitpicking IIRC.

In any case there was another one, without the social aspect that coined the term learned helplesness: they'd put the food and water of dogs at the other side of an electrified floor, until the dogs basically gave up on trying... But also they found out that if the "punishment" is unpredictable as in sometimes happens and sometimes not that made a big difference too, but I forgot if it made it worse or better.

edit: I happen to find often that when some experiment really grants an intuitive insight into a more cynical worldview, (usually made more digestible to a pop science audience) there is allways nerds emotionally invested into debunking it. These types loathe the image of the banana on the ladder  :D.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2023, 09:46:49 am by dragdeler »
let

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #162287 on: March 22, 2023, 10:36:29 am »

Oh no no the dog torture was much worse than that.

They’d put the dogs in a little enclosure and electrify the floor. The control group would jump out ‘cause hey who wants to have their feet shocked, but the experimental group - which we’re strapped down so they couldn’t jump out - didn’t jump out even after they were no longer strapped down.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #162288 on: March 22, 2023, 10:55:50 am »

except I didn't find the "well actually that convincing" and kinda forgot allready... Something about the experiment didn't happen as commonly described negligeable nitpicking IIRC.

You're right, it doesn't actually matter and is nitpicking whether the thing you already believe is actually proven true or not.

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162289 on: March 22, 2023, 11:26:17 am »

You know I'd rather trust some author of a pop science book who put some semblance of research into the book to make sensible editing choices, than some butthurt nerd on the internet who has thinks he debunked the whole argument by correcting some inaccuracies that came from word to mouth transmission, with the polemic titles and very long parapgraphs that say very little... Because that's how I remember my sources... Yes human memory is famously unreliable no I don't have the actual sources, not the book, nor the site, but the site should be findable if you care that much; I vaguely remember there was some yellow in the design of the page.

It's funny I remembered the dog torture more vanilla... kind of as if I read that in a book that was destined to a teen audience.
let

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #162290 on: March 22, 2023, 11:34:54 am »

I swear my cat's hyperallergenic. I've got no allergies to any other cat. It's not likely it's something she's bringing in because she hardly goes out, and when she does it's as far as the front or back yard and that's it. If it was in the house, that'd be triggering it as well.

Just add it to the weird shit my cat has/does.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #162291 on: March 22, 2023, 11:41:08 am »

Most cat allergies have to do with cat saliva. They groom themselves and it gets in their fur, then you pet them or put your face on them and now it's on you.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #162292 on: March 22, 2023, 12:00:26 pm »

Yeah, but like I said no other cats do it.

Maybe as she's got older there's been some epigenetic change or something that's making her produce extra saliva proteins, I dunno.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

femmelf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162293 on: March 22, 2023, 06:16:36 pm »

https://www.yahoo.com/news/democrats-republicans-companies-seem-agree-155308291.html

Just gonna leave this here as I fume. If college degrees are no longer the future, then maybe we can get refunds on all the costs of them (currently owed and previously paid). I get not everyone needs to go to college and there's nothing wrong with trade schools, etc. The military can be a good option. However, that's a hell of a rug to pull out from under people who were told the exact opposite. Also it just feels like they're just giving up the idea of it being affordable/attainable for people, while also not wanting to show people how to think for themselves and reach their own conclusions. "Democracy requires a free and educated population" and all that stuff I'm sure I'll be called an "elitist" for thinking, including giving people an education. O, irony.... "Provide education for everyone," is now "elitist...."

In other news, my cat is dying. Frankly ancient 23 year old cat has a final vet appointment.

In other dying news, I am apparently the only one trustworthy enough to be executor (executrix?) to my uncle's estate. Hurray responsibilities and people being upset at me for things I have no control over and don't really want to do anyhow. Tons of work and dealing with courts for surprisingly little pay off that I will be screamed at as unjustly getting.

I kinda feel like it's all been a lie. It's the future and we have neat phones, but no flying cars, no colonized moon/mars, no equality, no fusion power, no cure for cancer, and just tons of issues. I get that I'm somehow probably "mom age" for a lot of the people here, and I'm sorry about that. It just, wow.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #162294 on: March 22, 2023, 06:42:09 pm »

executor (executrix?)

While classically in Latin the -tor suffix would denote a male title-holder and -trix would denote female, the usage and grammar have changed significantly throughout the ages. In modern English it's almost universal that the -tor suffix is for both male and female, and -Trix are for kids.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #162295 on: March 22, 2023, 06:48:17 pm »

https://www.yahoo.com/news/democrats-republicans-companies-seem-agree-155308291.html

Just gonna leave this here as I fume. If college degrees are no longer the future, then maybe we can get refunds on all the costs of them (currently owed and previously paid).
It could happen, if people start suing for fraud. There was actually a lot of rumbling about this in regard to law schools not that long ago, but it seems like that all collapsed around 2020. It could easily come back.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #162296 on: March 22, 2023, 07:49:13 pm »

Yo be fair on the flying cars thing, it was unreasonable for people in the past to suggest everyone should get a personal aircraft. It's just too expensive and inefficient in terms of fuel and labor upkeep. And we did get private aircraft, they just can't be parked in your employers parking lot (unless you work at the airport) and nobody can afford them. And most of us wouldn't qualify to fly them. And I'm scared of heights anyway.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162297 on: March 22, 2023, 08:14:01 pm »

high-altitude monorail

with bits of parabola-shaped track missing at various points

Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #162298 on: March 22, 2023, 08:28:02 pm »

Yo be fair on the flying cars thing, it was unreasonable for people in the past to suggest everyone should get a personal aircraft. It's just too expensive and inefficient in terms of fuel and labor upkeep. And we did get private aircraft, they just can't be parked in your employers parking lot (unless you work at the airport) and nobody can afford them. And most of us wouldn't qualify to fly them. And I'm scared of heights anyway.
And anyway, we have flying cars, they're just shit.

We're in a flaccid cyberpunk dystopia, not a proper one. All the shiny gubbins to go with the dystopic cyberpunk mess but they're neither ubiquitous nor particularly effective :-\
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #162299 on: March 22, 2023, 09:13:15 pm »

Fucking hell, yall can't drive in two dimensions.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again
Pages: 1 ... 10818 10819 [10820] 10821 10822 ... 10980