Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10823 10824 [10825] 10826 10827 ... 10981

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13151891 times)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #162360 on: March 29, 2023, 07:40:57 am »

It's a pro-skub vs anti-skub sort of deal. People getting invested in some random shit and then winding each other up over it. There's no substance to any of this.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #162361 on: March 29, 2023, 07:41:15 am »

I'm still not sure I understand, even conceptually, how discussions about developing for, or playing, a game can result in such heated conversation.  I mean is it like tabs-vs-spaces fistfights?  Or stuff about the game content?
I'm not in that space, but having looked it over out of curiosity, it seems like there are loooots of forks of the game and they all hate each other.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #162362 on: March 29, 2023, 07:42:05 am »

I'm still not sure I understand, even conceptually, how discussions about developing for, or playing, a game can result in such heated conversation.  I mean is it like tabs-vs-spaces fistfights?  Or stuff about the game content?
tl;dr there is a split between those who want a more classic roguelike focus and those who want a more simulationist survival game, the former group split off a few years ago to make their own fork with said focus while the bulk of players and contributors stays with the original, there's quite a bit of a back-and-forth going on between the camps. And random other drama like people getting kicked out of the dev team and whether it's justified or not. Honestly I think it's kinda pointless and just exhausting.

Not sure if it's a good idea to discuss here given 3 threads got locked over this yesterday. If you want me to explain more, PM me. I have insider knowledge.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2023, 07:44:25 am by KittyTac »
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #162363 on: March 29, 2023, 07:46:33 am »

It's open source, and if its the 'main' most popular branch we're talking about its still being oversaw by a core grouping.  Everyone gets to submit their own code, but it can be approved or denied.  There's been a lot of cases of 'arbitrary' decisions.

The game is a amalgamation of half-implemented ideas and systems, some of them quite finicky in nature.  Everyone is pulling in their own direction, and when one person holds most of the power via holding the github account, its can get heated.

Add to that that people cant even agree if it should be more like a fast paced random roguelike with wacky ham or if it should be a survival simulator.  Realism vs fun.  sci-fi vs post-tech.  etc.

Still, I havent played or seen it in ... since I stopped modding it.  The mod was a slapstick of everything, lol, and had its fans, but it was just as broken as the game itself can be.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #162364 on: March 29, 2023, 07:56:19 am »

I'm just a small-time contributor, not a dev, but I am pretty active in its development. I do things like add more mutations, fix JSON bugs, or add random stuff like more fursuit variants. I don't touch C++ code as I don't know it yet.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #162365 on: March 29, 2023, 10:06:31 am »

CKIII. I carefully cultivated an incredibly inbred branch of the family (multiple wives, incest allowed). The resultant beings were... not well-adjusted to life.

I then aggressively married them into every house which opposed me.

.... I feel the Geneva convention should cover this.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162366 on: March 29, 2023, 10:08:30 am »

Unfortunately, sometimes youre the patriarch, and sometimes youre just the cadet family. lol
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #162368 on: March 29, 2023, 11:01:27 am »

CKIII. I carefully cultivated an incredibly inbred branch of the family (multiple wives, incest allowed). The resultant beings were... not well-adjusted to life.

I then aggressively married them into every house which opposed me.

.... I feel the Geneva convention should cover this.

Inbreeding is the only way (easiest way?) to get the Pure Blooded trait. I think that’s what it a called… gives resistance to getting negative congenital traits, which means you can breed your Genius, Herculean, Beautiful, Fecund family with less fear of getting Imbeciles.

Of course you could also just have a big enough family tree that marrying distant parts of it gets the same result, but really, that takes effort.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Love, scriver~

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162370 on: March 29, 2023, 11:35:50 am »

Ax Body Spray was right all along - Smell is the sexiest sense.
PKs DF Mod!

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162371 on: March 29, 2023, 03:08:22 pm »

Might be heading towards bringing a harassment lawsuit(or worse) against my job. My cousin, who also works there, just would not stop hurling verbal abuse towards me today. Twice, I told the manager about this, and both times he went over and told my cousin what I said, which caused him to go even harder about it. He's not saying anything directly to me, but he's saying everything he can to everyone who walks near him. I think he's under the delusion that if you don't say something directly to a person, they can't respond to it. Somehow, he's also convinced himself that he's the victim of the situation. I also think that douchebag supervisor might be encouraging it as well, but I can't prove that yet.

I'm going to take the day off tomorrow, I've had too much shit to deal with today to go through it all over again tomorrow.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #162373 on: March 29, 2023, 09:55:35 pm »

Might be heading towards bringing a harassment lawsuit(or worse) against my job. My cousin, who also works there, just would not stop hurling verbal abuse towards me today. Twice, I told the manager about this, and both times he went over and told my cousin what I said, which caused him to go even harder about it. He's not saying anything directly to me, but he's saying everything he can to everyone who walks near him. I think he's under the delusion that if you don't say something directly to a person, they can't respond to it. Somehow, he's also convinced himself that he's the victim of the situation. I also think that douchebag supervisor might be encouraging it as well, but I can't prove that yet.

I'm going to take the day off tomorrow, I've had too much shit to deal with today to go through it all over again tomorrow.

I remember my time in Retail.  It seemed whenever we were nearing full capacity, it was always someone vs me.  I outlasted most of them, but I eventually got fired.  Only the boss said I quit (almost certainly under orders from their boss). Then I appealed the denial of unemployment, which I won because my employer didn't send anyone to argue their case.  They declared bankruptcy, and now I get to tell every future employer that I got fired because I collected $125 unemployment (my first check, before the employer alleged that I quit) and report my prior employer as a PO Box somewhere.

Heh, I moved on to bigger-and-better things.  Was even fired from a much better job, LOL.

Then I started my own business, which I successfully ran for 8 years or so. 

And now I have my first full-time job at age 37.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #162374 on: March 29, 2023, 10:35:01 pm »

Retail can be hit or miss. I’ve worked with some excellent people, and some horrible people, the “highlight” being asked about my future with the company the day after my grandmother’s funeral, and it being patently obvious I wasn’t interested in the future of the company since I’d made it clear I was in the process of leaving the country for months prior.

You need evidence if you’re going to take someone to court though, and I don’t think you’re going to get any from this lot unless they write things down for you.

T’be fair I’d have been looking for a new job long before now if I were in your current situation. If you live in an at will employment state you can ghost them, but that’s usually not a wise decision as future employers might get in touch with them, assuming you put that in your résumé.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.
Pages: 1 ... 10823 10824 [10825] 10826 10827 ... 10981