Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10826 10827 [10828] 10829 10830 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13181740 times)

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #162405 on: April 08, 2023, 04:02:55 pm »

This was snail mail (the, uh, loose papers bit mostly precludes email, incidentally), not even addressed to me personally :P

Targetted demographic is probably retirees, predominantly white ones.

You're from Florida, which is of course a retiree hotspot for the USA, and white people are on average in a higher wealth bracket. As are some retirees, at least in terms of disposable income. So logically, white retirees are more able to afford going on trips abroad than the average person in your area.

The use of white crowds is because a lot of older people are racist uncomfortable around people who don't look like them, at least in the abstract, so using white people in the photos helps reassure them and make them more likely to actually follow through on a holiday.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #162406 on: April 08, 2023, 04:31:39 pm »

I want to experience other cultures, as long as everyone there looks and sounds like me. If they don’t, I’ll speak LOUDER and S-L-O-W-E-R just to make sure they understand.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #162407 on: April 08, 2023, 04:57:17 pm »

The use of white crowds is because a lot of older people are racist uncomfortable around people who don't look like them, at least in the abstract, so using white people in the photos helps reassure them and make them more likely to actually follow through on a holiday.
Trust me, I'm 100% aware of why the company's doing it. The decision making involved is pretty well trod if you've been paying much attention any time in the last, uh. Century? Plus? It ain't new, anyway. It's just persistently offputting ever since I started noticing that nonsense. One of the more irritating parts of processing kids books/anything graphical at my job, especially older stuff, tbh. It's hard to miss once you realize what's happening.

Like I said, tell me you have problems (intentionally catering to racist demographics, with all that's likely to entail) without telling me you have problems, heh.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2023, 04:59:07 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162408 on: April 08, 2023, 05:14:45 pm »

Ah, I thought the problem you were referencing was racism on the part of the people making the ads, not that they were targetting a racist demographic using racist-comfortable imagery.

I've been thinking a bit about a book I read back as a teenager, when I was still reading regularly. Others, by James Herbert. That book was fucking weird, even for a horror story. Grim, somewhat misanthropic, delved into body and sexual horror more than a bit. Generally a very disturbing book, not light reading even for me when I was reading a ton of horror books, a few of which featured elements of sexual violence.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #162409 on: April 08, 2023, 06:13:10 pm »

Ah, I thought the problem you were referencing was racism on the part of the people making the ads, not that they were targetting a racist demographic using racist-comfortable imagery.
I mean, hell, there's no space between those two. It's the same thing, y'know? The WTF was more how persistent it is, most times you'll at least get 1 token black or middle eastern or latine person or something, but this mess was just, "Nope! Our ad for Jerusalem will have no jews on it."

I've been thinking a bit about a book I read back as a teenager, when I was still reading regularly. Others, by James Herbert. That book was fucking weird, even for a horror story. Grim, somewhat misanthropic, delved into body and sexual horror more than a bit. Generally a very disturbing book, not light reading even for me when I was reading a ton of horror books, a few of which featured elements of sexual violence.
I occasionally get that, too (though I've definitely not stopped reading regularly, heh). Anthony's Firefly is the primary one that pops back up from time to time, though I read it as a pre-teen. Was were I learned the word necrophilia! Other messed up shit happened, too. That book probably shouldn't have been accessible to an 8 year old :V
Ask not!
Ask!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #162410 on: April 09, 2023, 03:37:51 pm »

I remember flying out from San Francisco into Portland into Spokane during various layovers etc. and yeah, the instant I landed in Spokane I noticed that every single poster and advertisement in Spokane featured exclusively white people which... I mean, yeah, they like this guy, not surprising.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #162411 on: April 10, 2023, 09:30:20 am »

Jesus Christ, I knew China was bad, but I had no idea that it was such a scary as fuck nasty psycho country.
China should be put on the international list of terrorist organisations.

Read this article by Dutch journalist Marije Vlaskamp, which has been an eye opener for our police and justice system:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2023, 02:36:56 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #162412 on: April 10, 2023, 10:32:49 am »

Maybe spoiler that?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #162413 on: April 10, 2023, 11:00:38 am »

Maybe truncate/summarize it, too. Iirc there's actually legal issues with just pasting a whole news article elsewhere, though I don't quite remember the details -- couple of other places I loiter have a 200 word limit or thereabouts, if it helps any. Probably safer to not unless the org that's putting it out explicitly allows it.
Ask not!
Ask!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #162414 on: April 10, 2023, 11:47:33 am »

Poor Wang, the Chinese got the journalist to stop talking to him.
Stupid people.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #162415 on: April 10, 2023, 02:40:40 pm »

Maybe truncate/summarize it, too. Iirc there's actually legal issues with just pasting a whole news article elsewhere, though I don't quite remember the details -- couple of other places I loiter have a 200 word limit or thereabouts, if it helps any. Probably safer to not unless the org that's putting it out explicitly allows it.
I think the importance of freedom of press, and hence sharing this news, supercedes any copyright issues there might be in this particular case.
The article is also free to read if you haven't read your free 7 articles of the newspaper yet, so it is kindof public domain

I did put a spoiler for reading comfort
« Last Edit: April 10, 2023, 02:57:30 pm by martinuzz »

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #162416 on: April 10, 2023, 03:01:07 pm »

Hey, I think a lot of things supersede copyright issues, too, so I'm with you on that one... but unfortunately news org lawyers don't tend to agree. One of the myriad problems with for-profit journalism, probably.

Anyway, it doesn't look like there's a specific rule for it here, so maybe boss Toad ain't worried about it, but it (not posting entire news articles) is not a bad habit to get and stay in, just to save admins trouble.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2023, 03:06:55 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162417 on: April 10, 2023, 03:11:50 pm »

I don't think it supersedes copyright issues.

Regardless, the site https://archive.is/ helps to avoid walls of text, allows to post articles with roughly their original formatting, and bypass most soft paywalls.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #162418 on: April 10, 2023, 04:14:12 pm »

Meanwhile, in response to the article, the Dutch government has summoned the Chinese ambassador to demand clarification and an end to this behaviour.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #162419 on: April 10, 2023, 04:43:17 pm »

Meanwhile, in response to the article, the Dutch government has summoned the Chinese ambassador to demand clarification and an end to this behaviour.
I'm sure the ambassador from People's Republic of China will demand that the Dutch Press stop harassing their nationals and disparaging their country with blatant lies. With a straight face.

The ambassador from Taiwan will however suggest honoring the Dutch journalist.
Pages: 1 ... 10826 10827 [10828] 10829 10830 ... 10983