Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10858 10859 [10860] 10861 10862 ... 10980

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13145311 times)

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #162885 on: June 03, 2023, 06:54:04 pm »

Eh, I prefer choosing the possibly inhumane option over the definitely inhumane option.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #162886 on: June 03, 2023, 07:05:08 pm »

In some random field somewhere is certainly a less hostile environment to find oneself in than a house with cats.

ArchAIngel

• Bay Watcher
  • Infested Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #162887 on: June 03, 2023, 08:17:05 pm »

I'm going to be honest, the savings on kibble and house upkeep mean I just let my cats do cat things. The only time I've felt guilty is when a kitten did a full...

Something like five laps around the house chasing a mouse until it fell over then came and meowed at me to say "Human! The toy stopped! Fix it, that was fun!"

And then I felt bad enough to put the mouse outside. It was alive, just terminally exhausted. And probably terrified out of its wits.

Kitty did not know how to kill things at all.

The other cat we have doesn't leave dead mice anywhere though. He just eats them, former street cat who came off the street fat as fuck and uninjured. Very good hunter.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #162888 on: June 03, 2023, 08:59:48 pm »

It may have just been playing with it. Housecats, or cats generally getting enough food from their owners, indulge in their hunting instincts with prey, whereas a cat that actually requires hunting to get food will kill prey quickly with as little energy expenditure as possible.

I had a cat that was particularly great at hunting, but it would bring it back to the house to play with it. Mice were most common, but there were also birds, frogs, and baby bunnies.

I also recall one time finding the back half of a mouse stuck to the kitchen counter by viscera one morning, which totally put me in the mood for breakfast that day…
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #162889 on: June 03, 2023, 10:55:12 pm »

A lot of "playing" with prey is literally the cat not knowing how to kill quickly. A lot of hunting tactics are instinctual, but a mother cat usually does teach some aspects, which a kitten raised by humans doesn't get.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #162890 on: June 04, 2023, 01:16:06 am »

My first time [I think] there were only glue traps in stock. Unfortunately I soon realized that you essentially condemn the mice to very slow death, so I had the "great idea" to lessen their suffering by drowning the trap in bucket before disposing of them, do not recommend the experience.

Not sure who the "humane" traps are for, but I would bet that 99% of the time their humanness translates into this
You can rescue mice from glue traps! https://www.wikihow.com/Remove-a-Live-Mouse-from-a-Sticky-Trap
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162891 on: June 04, 2023, 01:36:15 am »

The 'humane' traps are for my family, I guess? We caught 'em, shipped 'em off to a field, released 'em.
I can see this work if you find them before they dehydrate, but i'd rather use more direct approach. Meanwhile in the city, most people will just put them in plastic bag and throw them in the dumpster, so either they suffocate or rip the plastic bag and become someone else problem.

You can rescue mice from glue traps! https://www.wikihow.com/Remove-a-Live-Mouse-from-a-Sticky-Trap
Why would I want to do that? I have zero qualms about disposing of pest, I just rather avoid unnecessarily prolonging the process.

How the hell do you find a video with only 7 views?
Google magic..

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #162892 on: June 04, 2023, 02:27:43 am »

I had a cat that was particularly great at hunting, but it would bring it back to the house to play with it. Mice were most common, but there were also birds, frogs, and baby bunnies.

Mine usually brings back rodents, sometimes birds, and the occasional summertime lizards and copper snakes. We found a headless hare-kit behind the house once, no idea if it actually was hers though. Most hard to accept was the squirrels, they're way cuter than they have any right to be
Love, scriver~

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #162893 on: June 04, 2023, 03:51:17 am »

I've seen mouse traps that were a cage enterable through what was effectively a chinese finger trap. A mouse could climb in, but could not climb out. There was a door in the bottom for removin a trapped mouse.

Whether it is more humane depends on how often you check on the trap. If you don't do it often enough, you starve the mouse to death, which is more cruel than decaptiation.

We use plastic spring traps though, as increasing the mouse population outside our house is not our goal.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162894 on: June 04, 2023, 05:23:29 pm »

I prefer live traps and releasing the mice back outside. Lots of fields, woods and gardens around here for them to live in. Normally only get mice in the house that have been brought in by the cat, but we did have mice in the garage where we kept some unsecured food like crisps and kibble. Caught and released the mice and we put all the food in boxes and haven't had a recurrence.

We do have rats living in the garden, under the shed we think, which were attracted by the feed in the adjacent chicken run, but now the feed is in a rat-proof container they should move on sooner or later.

I had my corn snake out in the back garden today, it's warm and sunny here at the moment, so my reptiles are getting some outdoors time. Was sitting in a chair by the pond and decided to let Loki slither close to the pond, I assumed he'd have a sniff, maybe touch the water and recoil because it was cold. Instead he just kept slithering out of my hands into the water, gliding across some plants and then diving under the water.

He spent a good 5-10 minutes exploring the water. He seemed particularly charmed by the water feature, sitting his head under the falling water for a while. He eventually got bored or cold and slithered out, at which point I scooped him up and carried him to a sunny spot to dry off. First time he's ever done something like that, but then it's also the first time I've given him the opportunity to do more than just noodle across grass and through flowerbeds. He hates being in the bathtub, but I suppose the pond was more stimulating.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #162895 on: June 04, 2023, 05:27:02 pm »

Nice!

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #162896 on: June 04, 2023, 06:14:59 pm »

Goddamned geoduck. It just looks so... fake.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162897 on: June 05, 2023, 02:54:04 am »

The only time we've used a live mouse trap is because the hamster got out and that was the only way to catch it.

Also the last time I saw a mouse in my house it ran into my bathroom and I lost sight of it, a little bit later when I went to go to the bathroom I found that the mouse had apparently jumped into the toilet and drowned, so I did the only proper thing and flushed it.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #162898 on: June 05, 2023, 11:01:14 am »

I spent an inordinate amount of my morning arguing with people in BBC comments before coming to my senses.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #162899 on: June 05, 2023, 11:54:07 am »

but...  theyre wrong
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!
Pages: 1 ... 10858 10859 [10860] 10861 10862 ... 10980