Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10971 10972 [10973] 10974 10975 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13184823 times)

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #164580 on: March 27, 2024, 02:53:50 pm »

everything at work needs to be done with high priority

everyone is working on high priority things

so i get passed tasks with high priority

just kinda having work dumped on me and asked 'hey, ASAP please'

management is frustrated because developers aren't doing the regression testing development like we're requiring (and summarily skipping because everything must be completed with priority and therefore expedited out of this requirement)

upper brass is like 'you did it, you pushed real hard this week to hit our feature goal! do it again with a bigger number of features!'

meanwhile, i'm trapped in meetings about the urgent work that needs to be done urgently instead of working
If everything is high priority, nothing is.

What amazes me is, how people that don't know this even managed to get into management.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #164581 on: March 27, 2024, 03:05:54 pm »

The thing that stood out to me is one of the critters involved claiming their staff spent thousands of hours researching the account, but despite that no one has any idea what the hell it is.

That. Doesn't pass a smell test. Either they're lying about not knowing what the account is, or that research needs quote marks around it and the dude just admitted to thousands of grifted manhours doing sod all on gov't dime, heh.

If the paper trail is disordered enough, needing that kind of time is entirely possible. This is especially true if there was graft or other shady shit going into creating the account (in which case there would be a deliberate effort to hide where things were coming from), but even if it is "just" years of incompetent money handling it can be a cast-iron pain in the ass to dig it out.

Been seeing ads for concealed carry holsters lately and, like.

... they're some of the dumbest ads I've ever seen in my life. 90% sure they're just pictures of folks not actually wearing a holster at all.

They're literally being designed to not show the product being sold, emperor's new clothes style stuff. Presumably they're even working, for some ungodly reason.

Most of the brands I'm familiar with don't even use a model at all for that reason, focusing their advertising on things like weapon retention and drawability. To sell on concealment, it is mostly things like "this flange breaks up the outline" instead. You were probably getting ads for the very bottom tier garbage.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #164582 on: March 27, 2024, 04:17:11 pm »

I mean it could be worse - they could have found they lost that money, instead of finding it.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #164583 on: March 27, 2024, 05:53:10 pm »

You were probably getting ads for the very bottom tier garbage.
Oh, pretty much certainly; they were advertising on frikkin' royal road, which is not exactly a locus for high income or particularly discerning viewership.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #164584 on: March 27, 2024, 06:56:30 pm »

Royal road advertisements are fascinating.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #164585 on: March 27, 2024, 07:53:18 pm »

Royal road advertisements are fascinating.
ikr, "graphic design is my passion" vibes from many of them (aside from the ones that are random LitRPG memes I guess. I don't get LitRPGs).
But hey, at least they're memorable which is the purpose of an ad!
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164586 on: March 28, 2024, 01:38:04 am »

I feel like I'm missing out not having seen any Royal road advertisements.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #164587 on: March 28, 2024, 01:43:37 am »

everything at work needs to be done with high priority

everyone is working on high priority things

so i get passed tasks with high priority

just kinda having work dumped on me and asked 'hey, ASAP please'

management is frustrated because developers aren't doing the regression testing development like we're requiring (and summarily skipping because everything must be completed with priority and therefore expedited out of this requirement)

upper brass is like 'you did it, you pushed real hard this week to hit our feature goal! do it again with a bigger number of features!'

meanwhile, i'm trapped in meetings about the urgent work that needs to be done urgently instead of working
If everything is high priority, nothing is.

What amazes me is, how people that don't know this even managed to get into management.

It's not at all "amazing."  It's just "demoralizing."

Here's the skinny:

It is well known that psychopathic tendencies are "highly rewarded" in politics and business, and thus produce an abundance of incidences (approx 20% of highly successful business leaders, which is ... PROFOUNDLY.. higher than the baseline incidence rate of the condition, which is about 1.2% for males, and 0.3% for females.) , since the systems naturally select for this behavior type.

psychopathic behavior, as a general rule, excludes "Caring about other people and their needs", which includes being mentally concerned (or in any way concerned, really). This translates into a "My needs are always a top priority, and anyone else's needs are not."

When this trickles down the food chain (as the same perverse incentives that drive putting these people at the top, drive their promotion at every level of an organization), you end up with "EVERY TASK ASSIGNED IS TOP PRIORITY", simply as a natural consequence of who and what we select in leadership, and why.

It is not at all "Amazing."  It is perfectly understandable. 

what it *IS*, is demoralizing, disheartening and demotivating.

You are not supposed to peek behind this curtain.  This is why organizations that are "highly successful" (and thus, highly likely to be run by psychopaths), go out of their way to promote "Mission statements" about how important your happiness and well-being are to the organization, while actually giving less than 2 shits about you, excepting as a financial plot point, that they seek to eliminate as soon as it becomes technologically or financially feasible to do so.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2024, 01:55:27 am by wierd »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164588 on: March 28, 2024, 02:24:12 am »

Been seeing ads for concealed carry holsters lately and, like.

... they're some of the dumbest ads I've ever seen in my life. 90% sure they're just pictures of folks not actually wearing a holster at all.

They're literally being designed to not show the product being sold, emperor's new clothes style stuff. Presumably they're even working, for some ungodly reason.

I have been seeing adverts from Youtube from what i can best describe as "Rightwing hotheads", concerning the "Imminent civil war in america" (and how you need to be prepared by having all the guns you can / some other form of social belligerency)

I see these, and immediately press skip, but the increasing incidence rate has me worried.  On the one hand, why is youtube's advert algo thinking I am into that shit? AND, on the other-- how many people are they whooping up into a frenzy with these targeted adverts, and how many people are they keeping in the dark about their very existence at the same time?

Consider my prior reply to Mathel, and then seriously contemplate what the actual collateral consequences of such targeted advertising really is, and how "Fuck all little" these orgs are likely to actually care about them, aside from immediate bottom line figures.

I am of the opinion that this is an intractable problem with our society as a whole, and that any degree of permissiveness with such practices (targeted advertising, psychopathic human resource or business strategies, et al) will invariably produce an environment in which these worst offenders prosper (It's practically a direct consequence of the prisoner's dilemma being a thing. If you DO NOT remove all the options where "Screw the other guy first!" is possible, that is always going to be the "Winning move.(tm)")

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #164589 on: March 28, 2024, 03:42:13 am »

I have been seeing adverts from Youtube from what i can best describe as "Rightwing hotheads", concerning the "Imminent civil war in america" (and how you need to be prepared by having all the guns you can / some other form of social belligerency)

I see these, and immediately press skip, but the increasing incidence rate has me worried.  On the one hand, why is youtube's advert algo thinking I am into that shit? AND, on the other-- how many people are they whooping up into a frenzy with these targeted adverts, and how many people are they keeping in the dark about their very existence at the same time?
You probably watched some video in the recent past that had some tenuous connection to right wing politics (eg. some comedian, some woodworker). If you can find the offending video in your history and block it that might help said ads go away.
The better question though is why are you watching ads on youtube? Ublock origin is excellent at blocking them on PC, and on mobile mozilla with ublock origin or brave work great too.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164590 on: March 28, 2024, 04:41:26 am »

That's a touchy situation, you see.

On the one hand, I have to be subjected to horrible adverts of the lowest possible calibre....

But on the other, I 'have my finger on the pulse', so to speak.

If I am not at least exposed at the edge to these kinds of occurrences, it is easy to head-space them as "Not Existing", or "not as big a problem as it actually is." 

This way, I get to see how bad it actually is, and see it for myself. 

The WTF is not necessarily that I get the adverts, but that I have gone from "Mildly rightwing" ("They wants tuh make everything COMMUNIST! Tell sleepy Joe NO!") to dangerously nationalistic ("Prepare for the end, and be ready for when the communists take over by preventing our rightful leader, Donald Trump, from taking office this November! BUY ALL THE AUTOMATIC WEAPONS YOU CAN right now, using this one loophole the COMMUNISTS forgot about!")

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164591 on: March 28, 2024, 06:23:12 am »

If I am not at least exposed at the edge to these kinds of occurrences, it is easy to head-space them as "Not Existing", or "not as big a problem as it actually is." 

This way, I get to see how bad it actually is, and see it for myself. 

I can relate, I have my methods of circumventing ads, but I also don't fully block them... It's sort of a valid health meter you get a feel for where you're at. Take youtube ads for example: there are unmonetized channels, and will allways remain unmonetized, it's getting rarer and rarer but sometimes you find one of them and get to click a bunch of their videos without triggering an ad - then you know you're in passion territory, like most of the web that we remember fondly used to be.

Meanwhile I got a buddy in particular who keeps sending me videos... and... frankly the guy has never been able to tell a sales argument from a feature, also he adblocks. It's litterally 90% trash shit yt channels he sends me, stuff that will triple dip the ads, add another if you jump in the video, and tells you about their sponsors on top of it. Stuff where it's super palpable that just want to farm clicks, stuff where it's super obvious they don't care aboit what goes into the video... You know the stuff that calls itself a review when they're actually just unboxing and reading you specs. That kind of stuff.

That guy hasn't found a clean yt channel in 10 years weirdly enough. Allways I'm like sigh what is it this time?  Ad ad ad, dude do you not notice that this content sucks.
let

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #164592 on: March 28, 2024, 08:58:07 am »

I think whatever content algorithm they have infers your extra couple seconds of time interacting with the right-wing-nutter webelement to report it constitutes attention and therefore it decides that you should have more of whatever is occupying your attention.

You report a scam fedex job posting on Tumblr, it shows you more of those postings, because you looked at it long enough to report it. It's silly.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #164593 on: March 28, 2024, 02:11:10 pm »

Facebook operates the same way. Blocking content on Facebook counts as engagement because you lingered on it long enough to block it, so it sends more to you. OnlyFans pages, obnoxious conservative political posts, jesus pages, crappy memes...you block the creators but the algo picks up on the trend of what you deigned to notice, so it sends more of it at you and THEN sends the opposite at you to see if it can bait you with that. So, block a jesus page? Get LGBTQIA+ pages instead. Block OF posts with women? Start getting ads for homosexual pages instead. And so many of these pages are created with bots scraping other people's content, it's a never ending cycle of shittery. I think my block list was over 600 pages before I finally cottoned on and just gave up.

It's gotten to the point where my FB account is pretty much dead to me. And why on Youtube I don't even mouse over videos anymore and am careful not to let my cursor linger on anything I'm not watching.

Every once in a while I watch something and then decide I don't want the algo feeding more of it to me, so I'll go to my history and delete my watch of it. And MULTIPLE times I've gone into my YT history, I've seen videos I never watched. One time I had like 6 full watches of racing videos back to back from a channel I've never seen for content I don't watch. I firmly believe that YT either overtly or secretly promotes certain channels by just inserting views into your account so their numbers improve.

It's a jungle out there, and your eyeballs are the prey.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2024, 02:21:34 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #164594 on: March 28, 2024, 02:17:28 pm »

Wait do the algorithms really work like "I don't want to see this" means "I want to see the opposite" instead of, say, "don't show me anything"?
Pages: 1 ... 10971 10972 [10973] 10974 10975 ... 10983