Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 147 148 [149] 150 151 ... 10984

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13208334 times)

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #2220 on: October 26, 2011, 08:18:37 pm »

I still don't understand the gore fics for MLP, I mean come on guys really?
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #2221 on: October 26, 2011, 08:20:22 pm »

I really don't get that too. It's like certain kinds of fans need to make everything darker and edgier for the sake of it... I guess it's not too weird thinking of it that way though. Just still... DAMN.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #2222 on: October 26, 2011, 08:21:16 pm »

As a fan of the show, I second these remarks.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2223 on: October 26, 2011, 08:23:10 pm »

As a non-fan, I second the WTFery. I can see how people like the show, but not all the wtf that came up around it.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2224 on: October 26, 2011, 08:23:26 pm »

I really don't get that too. It's like certain kinds of fans need to make everything darker and edgier for the sake of it... I guess it's not too weird thinking of it that way though. Just still... DAMN.
That kind of thing isn't too weird, sure.  But then you read the super detailed torture stuff and argh what the hell this isn't dark or edgy it's just sick.

NotAQuisling

• Bay Watcher
  • Openly Fey
    • View Profile
« Reply #2225 on: October 26, 2011, 08:39:44 pm »

Download complete in 15 Days and 7 Hours

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2226 on: October 26, 2011, 08:45:23 pm »

As for the pony stuff, people discuss it because it's popular and fairly well-written, with an engaging background to dig into.

As for the horrible gore, I was part of writing a very horrifically detailed torture fic and its only purpose was for shock value. It's easier to get shock value from something that's light and friendly than it is from something that's already grimdark. I'm sure there might be other motivations, but shock was ours.
Nothing important here, move along.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #2227 on: October 26, 2011, 08:46:41 pm »

Eh, I guess some writers enjoy trolling more than others.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2228 on: October 26, 2011, 08:51:00 pm »

Eh, I guess some writers enjoy trolling more than others.

It's almost Halloween, people deserve a good shock.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #2229 on: October 27, 2011, 03:32:26 am »

I play with MLP's on a daily basis, because my 3yr old demands it.
That makes me question the intelligence and relative level of... mental growth (there's a better word for this somewhere) of grown up MLP fans. However, going on a crusade of hate against them for liking something I can't fathom to be likeable is not really my style.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #2230 on: October 27, 2011, 09:24:44 am »

iTunes is being iTunes again..
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2231 on: October 27, 2011, 10:47:14 am »

I play with MLP's on a daily basis, because my 3yr old demands it.
That makes me question the intelligence and relative level of... mental growth (there's a better word for this somewhere) of grown up MLP fans. However, going on a crusade of hate against them for liking something I can't fathom to be likeable is not really my style.
Have you seen the show or just played with the toys?

Most fans are pretty disappointed with the toys, as they're pretty much the epitome of "pink sparkly crap." Everyone shakes their head at Applejack's pink apple shaped truck, for example.

As for "mental growth", well, here's the famous CS Lewis quote:
Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.

If anyone is lacking maturity, it would be the ones rejecting it due to being "kiddie stuff."

Re: Gore fics. I don't see how it's any different than say, slasher films. Some people just like gore. And yeah, the shock value is (suppoed to be) somewhat increased with cute ponies instead of boring old humans.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2232 on: October 27, 2011, 11:07:03 am »

The idea of the shock value increase has less to do with the beings involved and more to do with the setting. Even if they were the same otherwise, if the ponies were waging war with some kind of enemy through terrifying battles of attrition involving innumerable casualties, then there wouldn't be as much shock. The shock comes from going from one end of the idealism/cynicism spectrum to the other.

As for the show, it's got fans not because it's all simple and flowery. If that were the case, then every other crappy little girls' show would have a ton of fans. It's got fans because it's well-written above all else. The characters have personality, the plots of each episode are well-rounded and thought out, and the entire premise is pretty secure and believable.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 11:10:50 am by TheBronzePickle »
Nothing important here, move along.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #2233 on: October 27, 2011, 04:04:36 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.

Had never heard this quote before.  Thanks.  This describes quite eloquently something I've been struggling to express for half my life.  I've always thought most uses of the word "immature" to be hypocritical abuses of the idea for exactly the reasons outlined in that quote.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 04:06:18 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2234 on: October 27, 2011, 04:05:19 pm »

None of the above.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!
Pages: 1 ... 147 148 [149] 150 151 ... 10984