Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2000 2001 [2002] 2003 2004 ... 10987

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13394975 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #30015 on: April 05, 2013, 01:36:41 pm »

Can't say I'm that surprised.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #30018 on: April 05, 2013, 01:48:19 pm »

Still haven't clicked, did some circumspect Google news searches to get the gist.

Are we really surprised by ANYTHING a Catholic priest does anymore? Just sayin.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #30019 on: April 05, 2013, 01:53:34 pm »

Wasn't this debunked a while ago?
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #30020 on: April 05, 2013, 01:59:04 pm »

Or the officials of any religion, really.
It appears to be active news, as I've seen it in a couple of places, so I'd say you might be thinking of something else.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #30021 on: April 05, 2013, 02:03:21 pm »

Anyone in a position of sufficient authority over another and thinking whatever they're doing is private.

People with the ability to control others have the capability to abuse that power, and some people out there will.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30022 on: April 05, 2013, 02:27:40 pm »

It appears to be active news, as I've seen it in a couple of places, so I'd say you might be thinking of something else.
It's the same news, only reposted:

http://www.que.es/ultimas-noticias/curiosas/201301282045-detenido-pastor-evangelico-violar-fieles-cont.html?anker_1
(the current "source")

http://jesusmanero.blog.br/pastor-que-dizia-ter-membro-abencoado-e-preso-no-interior-de-goias/
(the same from october last year)

As far as I'm aware posted without actual sources in what looks like a satirical blog(the original). That I can't read spanish is not helping with looking it up, but there seem to be some pages debunking the thing if you google it up.

The bottom line is:
I don't have much love for organised religion, but repeating such made up stories as if they were real is just dumb and inconsiderate of actual victims of abuse. Get some real sources before you open your vitriol jar.

To quote the article linked by Graknorke:
it’s quite a serious issue because some gullible people were seemingly taken in by his claim and were abused in the process
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 02:29:18 pm by Il Palazzo »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #30023 on: April 05, 2013, 02:40:57 pm »

One of the comments in the second news item states that it's  debunked here  http://www.aporeemfoco.com.br/abrenoticia.asp?id=2965 which appears to be some kind of local news site from the place where the events allegedly took place, and states that the original blog source is some kind of loljesus-like site. I might be missing details, though, as it's Portuguese and I'm exploiting Romance-language inter-intelligibility to get a general view of the text.
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #30024 on: April 05, 2013, 03:05:02 pm »

Next county over is hosting a 30-mile long yard sale.

What the.... ???

Tom Abdalla and his brother, who work as antique dealers in Selma, came up with the idea after buying bargains at a 700-mile annual yard sale that stretches along a U.S. highway from Michigan to Alabama.
:o
WHAT IS THIS I DONT EVEN

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30025 on: April 05, 2013, 03:29:02 pm »

I'm guessing it was Highway 45; apparently it was also the first paved road in the South.

[/obscure trivia]

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #30026 on: April 05, 2013, 03:51:08 pm »

"And the Dalai Lama was found in a Matilda tank covered in peanut shells the next morning by a trained religion-sniffing dog. Official reports state that no one was hurt, but several Utahraptor fossils were reported missing and there was a traffic cone on every roof in a 30km radius of the impact zone."

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #30027 on: April 05, 2013, 04:05:55 pm »

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30028 on: April 05, 2013, 04:22:25 pm »

Let's pretend I'm posting this about a month and a half ago:

Apparently the house just two houses down caught fire and there's a huge hole in the back of the roof. This happened a week ago and I didn't hear or know about it until just a few minutes ago.

I can't believe I didn't post this before!

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth
Pages: 1 ... 2000 2001 [2002] 2003 2004 ... 10987