Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2059 2060 [2061] 2062 2063 ... 10980

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13145045 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #30900 on: April 24, 2013, 10:58:59 am »

Did I just discover a psychic power for improving my internet speed? I should be able to market this somehow...
I vaguely recall coming across some research back when I was in high school (so like 10+ years ago) about psychic influence on computers.  IIRC they had a random generator program and had the study group focus on trying to manipulate the results using only their mind.

They apperantly had some success.  With the study group repeatedly having a higher occurrence of the target result than the control group.

It was of course, so fringe science that it makes crypto-zoologists studying dragons seem mainstream. And since there haven't been any psychic breakthroughs in those 10 years it was probably bogus.  But it still makes you wonder...
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #30901 on: April 24, 2013, 11:09:50 am »

Third jetfighter to pass over my house this afternoon. Rather low altitude too.

Wonder what they're up too.
I saw two Chinoooks
Why do people who live in militiarized countries find signs of military presence surprising? Seem to go hand in hand really

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #30902 on: April 24, 2013, 11:12:51 am »

Belgium is a militarized country these days?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #30903 on: April 24, 2013, 11:18:44 am »

Why do people who live in militiarized countries find signs of military presence surprising? Seem to go hand in hand really

Same reason why people who live in countries with guns are still surprised when someone is carrying a gun.

People who are not around weapons tend to be uncomfortable/anxious/surprised around weapons.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30904 on: April 24, 2013, 11:42:53 am »

My mom's new laptop arrived.  As a good loving IT son I offered to set it up, remove the trialware, that kind of crap.

First time with Windows 8.

Who are you and what have you done with the start menu?!  WTF, Microsoft, stop fixing crap that isn't broke.  I shouldn't have to use search to find the goddamn control panel.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #30905 on: April 24, 2013, 11:53:00 am »

My mom's new laptop arrived.  As a good loving IT son I offered to set it up, remove the trialware, that kind of crap.

Who are you and what have you done with the start menu?!  WTF, Microsoft, stop fixing crap that isn't broke.  I shouldn't have to use search to find the goddamn control panel.

Going from Vista to 7, I started tugging my hair out when I went looking for the compatibility tab and couldn't find it (Windows 7 Enterprise! Evidently you don't need compatibility!) or a way to change programs at startup. Seriously, it was in the control panel, now it's in msconfig, a utility hidden Armok knows where, and I only discovered that two days ago, having had 7 for years now.

Microsoft, why?
It's to make the target audience (people that only use computers for two programs) feel inept at computering (although it's really not their fault), which keeps them from jumping OS (since they will think they'll face the same problems there after finally getting the hang of Windows). Naturally that won't help making people switch to Windows either.

/conspiracy

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #30906 on: April 24, 2013, 11:59:59 am »

Don't leave home without it.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #30907 on: April 24, 2013, 12:10:25 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Not on America's level but its military is there

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #30908 on: April 24, 2013, 12:19:14 pm »

Did I just discover a psychic power for improving my internet speed? I should be able to market this somehow...
I vaguely recall coming across some research back when I was in high school (so like 10+ years ago) about psychic influence on computers.  IIRC they had a random generator program and had the study group focus on trying to manipulate the results using only their mind.

They apperantly had some success.  With the study group repeatedly having a higher occurrence of the target result than the control group.

It was of course, so fringe science that it makes crypto-zoologists studying dragons seem mainstream. And since there haven't been any psychic breakthroughs in those 10 years it was probably bogus.  But it still makes you wonder...

Theoretically, our brains use electromagnetic impulses to communicate between neurons, generating a weak electromagnetic field around our bodies, so our presence could actually influence electronic devices to some extent. So, if we had a technology that could read changes in our electromagnetic fields and find some way in which humans can naturally and deliberately affect the field we generate, we could use that as a sort of user input.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #30909 on: April 24, 2013, 12:22:57 pm »

We have those EEG headbands. People have hacked them to use with arduino, which is cool as hell.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30910 on: April 24, 2013, 01:00:42 pm »

I just saw an TV ad for the Green Party.
They are lefter than Labour. And yet nobody votes for them. Why is this?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #30911 on: April 24, 2013, 01:05:09 pm »

Green parties are one of the newer political movements. Probably only Pirate parties are younger. Building up a new movement can take decades.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #30912 on: April 24, 2013, 01:05:23 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Not on America's level but its military is there
We're like just above zero military.

Or whatever else that map shows.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #30913 on: April 24, 2013, 01:20:35 pm »

We're like just above zero military.

Or whatever else that map shows.
40,000 active soldiers

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30914 on: April 24, 2013, 01:22:58 pm »

Green parties are one of the newer political movements. Probably only Pirate parties are younger. Building up a new movement can take decades.
But most of their policies seem to be about increasing funding to nationalised services, rather than anything specifically environmentalism based.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑
Pages: 1 ... 2059 2060 [2061] 2062 2063 ... 10980