Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2106 2107 [2108] 2109 2110 ... 10984

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13195807 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #31605 on: May 06, 2013, 11:00:24 am »

It's baby sized, it doesn't even take 30-06.  Nobody could cause any harm with a .22 [/sarcasm]
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #31606 on: May 06, 2013, 11:02:18 am »

This.

Asians v:<
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #31607 on: May 06, 2013, 11:08:11 am »

Found out Candy Box was featured on Kotaku, so I went there to look for the article. Meanwhile, I found THIS. What. The. Fuck. I feel sick.

Why on earth would you give an 11 year old a rifle?
It's been pretty solidly proven that teaching young people respect for a gun is more effective in reducing accidents than "don't touch" lectures and access denial (or, even worse, pretending you don't have a gun at all), if there are already guns present in the household or in the households of friends and neighbors. The best way to do that is to teach them to shoot, robbing the weapon of mystery, and helping to show just how much power even a light round has. The safest way to do this is to use a youth-model gun that is sized for a smaller-framed person, firing the relatively safe .22LR cartridge, as a full-sized rifle will be too large to handle safely, and a larger cartridge would produce enough recoil to increase the risk of an accident. This means that simply teaching them to soot your regular rifle is unattractive. Typically, these guns are locked in the same cabinet as any other firearm, and accessible only by the adults of the household, although it's fairly common to relax such restrictions by 14 or 15.

In this case, it's highly likely that the youth in question was either experimenting with drugs, or is developing a mental disorder that needs treatment, judging from the changes in personality that the article mentions.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Kansa

• Bay Watcher
  • Distant Traces of Beauty
    • View Profile
« Reply #31608 on: May 06, 2013, 11:10:45 am »

It's been pretty solidly proven that teaching young people respect for a gun is more effective in reducing accidents than "don't touch" lectures and access denial (or, even worse, pretending you don't have a gun at all), if there are already guns present in the household or in the households of friends and neighbors. The best way to do that is to teach them to shoot, robbing the weapon of mystery, and helping to show just how much power even a light round has. The safest way to do this is to use a youth-model gun that is sized for a smaller-framed person, firing the relatively safe .22LR cartridge, as a full-sized rifle will be too large to handle safely, and a larger cartridge would produce enough recoil to increase the risk of an accident. This means that simply teaching them to soot your regular rifle is unattractive. Typically, these guns are locked in the same cabinet as any other firearm, and accessible only by the adults of the household, although it's fairly common to relax such restrictions by 14 or 15.

In this case, it's highly likely that the youth in question was either experimenting with drugs, or is developing a mental disorder that needs treatment, judging from the changes in personality that the article mentions.

Couldn't you just take them to a shooting range to teach them that rather than buying them their own personal one?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 11:13:56 am by Kansa »
* greatorder smothers Kansa with earwax

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #31609 on: May 06, 2013, 11:15:42 am »

This.

Asians v:<
Heh. Nice to see it presented that way. One of those things that I've known for a long time but never had it framed that way.

Like I've said before, when you've been to a sleepy "college town" of six million people, it puts things in perspective. Especially when you go to a megapolis like Shanghai, come back, and actually find yourself saying "Wow, it's so nice to be back in quiet, slow, uncrowded Hangzhou" (with a population density of 3800 per km2) -- about twice that of Vatican City.

Just noticed that two of the most desolate countries in the world (in terms of population density) are Canada and Australia. Given the number of Aussies and Canucks on the forum, it makes ya wonder.  ???
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 11:17:54 am by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #31610 on: May 06, 2013, 11:29:05 am »

That's because those guys are the entire populations of their countries. There are actually no non-Bay12 Australians or Canadians.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #31611 on: May 06, 2013, 11:49:23 am »

Of course, something like 90% of Australians live in Sydney, Brisbane, Melbourne, Adelaide, Canberra or Perth, and I'm sure if you pulled out the metropolitan populations of Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, Toronto etc. you'd probably get at least 70% of Canadians. Do we have any Mongolians on the board? I know we have a Greenlander, but that doesn't count because you can only live on a very, very small strip of coastal rock in Greenland. Canada has lots of habitable land, it just isn't used.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #31612 on: May 06, 2013, 12:03:01 pm »

Of course, something like 90% of Australians live in Sydney, Brisbane, Melbourne, Adelaide, Canberra or Perth, and I'm sure if you pulled out the metropolitan populations of Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, Toronto etc. you'd probably get at least 70% of Canadians. Do we have any Mongolians on the board? I know we have a Greenlander, but that doesn't count because you can only live on a very, very small strip of coastal rock in Greenland. Canada has lots of habitable land, it just isn't used.
"Habitable" is in the eye of the beholder.

"-40F in the winter and infested with moose" != habitable in my book.

Likewise, much of Australia is uninhabitable. Which means that -- Australians being Australians -- people live there.
"Cor...it's 50C in the shade here, mate! And there's poisonous everything and no water!"
"Too right...where should we place the pub, then?"
 :P

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #31613 on: May 06, 2013, 12:04:40 pm »

Curiosity didn't find life on Mars.

Well, exempting the Australians.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31614 on: May 06, 2013, 12:05:08 pm »

Anyone else getting Gateway Time-Out messages every time they try to post? O_o
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31615 on: May 06, 2013, 12:45:12 pm »

I wonder what the population density of countries would be if you took out uninhabitable land.

It would be a measure of carrying capacity, I suppose? Might have some sociological implications as well.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #31616 on: May 06, 2013, 02:25:41 pm »

I wonder what the population density of countries would be if you took out uninhabitable land.

It would be a measure of carrying capacity, I suppose? Might have some sociological implications as well.
Post-apocalyptic movie making machinery, commence!
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31617 on: May 06, 2013, 03:19:23 pm »

I... I meant "take it out of the equation". Don't count it as "land of the country". :I
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #31618 on: May 06, 2013, 03:29:03 pm »

Ahem. it's looking at "arable land" rather than "habitable" but close enough for guesswork.

The Arabian Peninsula states become ridiculously crowded because they're 98% desert.
Places like India and Bangladesh become somewhat less crowded because they're ridiculously arable (near or above 50% of land area).
Canada and Australia remain near the bottom, despite having relatively low arable percentages (4.57% and 6.15% respectively) because the initial populations are still low.

And Greenland suffers a division by zero error, because nothing grows in Greenland.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #31619 on: May 06, 2013, 03:31:05 pm »

With Antartica collaping into a singularity?
This is a blank sig.
Pages: 1 ... 2106 2107 [2108] 2109 2110 ... 10984