Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2343 2344 [2345] 2346 2347 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13188349 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #35160 on: July 19, 2013, 10:37:01 am »

I went to the bustop this afternoon, expecting to catch the bus. I got there just as it should have arrived but it wasn't there. After waiting around for ten minutes it didn't show up and didn't show up on the screen, which shows the next hour of buses.
I set off walking, and then half an hour later I see the bus driving past me.
WTF Arriva. Get your shit together.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35161 on: July 19, 2013, 10:43:36 am »

Look what I found.

That should settle a few questions.
interesting, but I'll be damned if I'm gonna try to read it.
I will.
It seems to be saying that the earliest know religion died out around 400 BCE. Huh. Never knew that. Nope. Just split off into Hinduism.

This is fascinating. Thanks for pulling this out.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #35162 on: July 19, 2013, 11:30:02 am »

No, Christianity splintered off Judaism since they Jews didn't believe that Jesus was legit, and Christians - obviously - did. Islam not so much split, but was inspired by both and traces its lineage to a certain secondary character in Old Testament, and believes Jesus to have been a prophet, but not a messiah.
Do you mean to imply Islam came after Christianity? Wow, I was kind of under the impression it was a lot older, but younger than Judaism. That is kind of a surprise.

Although it still begs the question, from where did Judaism come from? I know they are meant to be around long enough enough to be enslaved by the ancient Egyptians to build pyramids, but actual evidence for that is a little sketchy, and I'm not sure if they are referring to the faith, the race, or both. 'Jewish' can sometimes be a little ambiguous.

I really should catch up on some religious studies. It makes for a very interesting chunk of human history.

IIRC. Judaism is a product of the combination of primitive tribal beliefs of the people who would later become jews after they encountered Babylonian civilization and acquired aspects of their religion.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

OREOSOME

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35163 on: July 19, 2013, 12:20:03 pm »

Somehow, my earbuds just stopped working a minute ago. Now I have to mess around with the cable to connect it somehow for a few seconds at most.
Ow! How the fuck do eldritch abominations bitchslap people?
With our pimp tentacles, obviously.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #35164 on: July 19, 2013, 12:30:04 pm »

Somehow, my earbuds just stopped working a minute ago. Now I have to mess around with the cable to connect it somehow for a few seconds at most.

The cable is damaged. A part of it is notched, so if you manage to connect the parts by messing around with the cable, it works, but if you don't, the cable is thinner in one place, so the resistance is bigger. You need to buy a new pair.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

OREOSOME

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35165 on: July 19, 2013, 12:34:13 pm »

I had assumed the buy a replacement, already. But thanks for explaining what it is, anyways.

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity makes everything fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35166 on: July 19, 2013, 02:44:28 pm »

I learned that apparently our AC isn't broken but if we try to use it then it'll stop working. I think i preferred thinking it just wouldn't work at all. Why do we always get the defective apartments?
When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #35167 on: July 19, 2013, 02:45:43 pm »

I learned that apparently our AC isn't broken but if we try to use it then it'll stop working. I think i preferred thinking it just wouldn't work at all. Why do we always get the defective apartments?

So... you got Schrödinger's AC?
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #35168 on: July 19, 2013, 02:46:11 pm »

You must use the AC without using the AC.
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity makes everything fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35169 on: July 19, 2013, 02:51:33 pm »

Wow, i never even realized just how complex our shitty AC is.
When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #35170 on: July 19, 2013, 02:52:14 pm »

I started up my laptop. It began playing a series of sound bites at blistering volume. The volume controls would not respond. There were no programs open.

What is this I don't even.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #35171 on: July 19, 2013, 02:53:41 pm »

Wow, i never even realized just how complex our shitty AC is.

Shit, actually, I was wrong. Horribly.

What you ACTUALLY have is a Catch-22 AC.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #35172 on: July 19, 2013, 02:54:48 pm »

Do you mean to imply Islam came after Christianity? Wow, I was kind of under the impression it was a lot older, but younger than Judaism. That is kind of a surprise.

Although it still begs the question, from where did Judaism come from? I know they are meant to be around long enough enough to be enslaved by the ancient Egyptians to build pyramids, but actual evidence for that is a little sketchy, and I'm not sure if they are referring to the faith, the race, or both. 'Jewish' can sometimes be a little ambiguous.

I really should catch up on some religious studies. It makes for a very interesting chunk of human history.
Islam was founded and Muhammad lived around 600 CE. It should thus be little surprise that by Islamic calenders, the current year is about 1400. The Sunni/Shia split happened almost immediately after his death in 634 CE.

Judaism started around 1500-1000 BCE. There is zero evidence that the Jews were enslaved by the Egyptians, and especially not to build pyramids. Pyramids weren't built by slaves at all. Pyramids were built by farmers who otherwise had little work after harvest but before the Nile flooded. Their work was considered a holy labor, and what evidence we have suggests they were well paid for their efforts.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35173 on: July 19, 2013, 02:55:19 pm »

I started up my laptop. It began playing a series of sound bites at blistering volume. The volume controls would not respond. There were no programs open.

Your laptop is haunted by zombie goasts.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

OREOSOME

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35174 on: July 19, 2013, 02:56:12 pm »

Your laptop is haunted by zombie goasts.
No. Dial-up Ghouls. Even worse.
Pages: 1 ... 2343 2344 [2345] 2346 2347 ... 10983