Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2534 2535 [2536] 2537 2538 ... 10979

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13135600 times)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #38025 on: September 27, 2013, 02:51:45 am »

I like the way they didn't trust you to link to the article, so they made sure there's a link in the paste :P

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #38026 on: September 27, 2013, 03:11:20 am »

What was it?

Necromantik. Just... don't. It's not legal in some places, and I can respect the reasoning. My recommendation is to stay away. It will ruin your day and haunt your dreams.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38027 on: September 27, 2013, 03:27:36 am »

Alternate Reality Game, in this case. It's a game that's meant to be played as though it were a real situation, typically involving the solution of some mystery through participation in arcane tasks that tend to be designed to feed into viral marketing efforts.

Maybe my brain is just being fuzzy, but I'm still a tad confused.
Is it 'played' in Realspace? Or is it an actual videogame which pretends to be realspace?
Or is it like Augmented Reality, where you have some sort of device which interacts with things/places in Realspace? Like, for example, a smartphone app I heard of which is a sort of team-based "king of the hill" game, where players use their phones to capture points around the world.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38028 on: September 27, 2013, 03:35:20 am »

Alternate Reality Game, in this case. It's a game that's meant to be played as though it were a real situation, typically involving the solution of some mystery through participation in arcane tasks that tend to be designed to feed into viral marketing efforts.

Maybe my brain is just being fuzzy, but I'm still a tad confused.
Is it 'played' in Realspace? Or is it an actual videogame which pretends to be realspace?
Or is it like Augmented Reality, where you have some sort of device which interacts with things/places in Realspace? Like, for example, a smartphone app I heard of which is a sort of team-based "king of the hill" game, where players use their phones to capture points around the world.

It's played in realspace, though it might be linked to a digital game or somesuch.

Here's an example that apparently ran for Bioshock 2, though the one I mentioned was less for marketing and more for fun from what I remember. Finding parcels and using the contents to figure out where the next one was I think was how it worked.

"February 2009 saw the launch of the ARG Something In The Sea, designed to promote the videogame Bioshock 2 by immersing players in character Mark Meltzer's quest to find his missing daughter. In addition to the messages, documents, photos and puzzles on the website, those following along on 8 August 2009, were given the coordinates of 10 beaches worldwide and told to go there at dawn. Those who did found objects planted by the game runners designed to look like they had washed ashore from Bioshock's fictional underwater city of Rapture. Players who wrote letters to Mark, whose address was advertised on the website, also sometimes received items such as wine bottles, records, or masks."
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #38029 on: September 27, 2013, 06:36:18 am »

After I happened to mention a popular encryption protocol to someone, someone else jumped in with the statement that 'encryption does not protect [the thing it's encrypting]'.

I pointed out that well, yes, it does, and that's kinda the whole point of encryption.  Otherwise it's just 'writing it down'.

I'd assumed that his comment was an offshoot of the whole current news cycle on PRISM, the various internet security holes and eavesdropping, etc.  Apparently not.  The guy actually claimed that any encryption (any encryption) would only stop anyone from reading what you wrote for 'about two minutes'.  Not talking about the NSA or governmental bodies here, apparently.  Anyone.  Said very confidently and almost triumphantly.

For pure head-desk lack of understanding of this guy's thought processes: WTF?
Well, to be fair, it's not two minutes but eventually all encryption is futile, and anything you encrypt now, can be decrypted in two minutes in the foreseeable future (as in we'll live to see that day). Encryption is a grey area, never full-proof, and it's smart never to fully trust it.

Relevant XKCD: http://xkcd.com/1269/
I'm the nihilist-philosopher btw.

But, I agree, that claiming that all modern techniques can be cracked in 2 minutes is tinfoil-hat-worthy.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

kaian-a-coel

• Bay Watcher
  • (Exo)biologist student
    • View Profile
EA games is like the dark lord sauron, and the gaming consumer demographic is like gollum.
Sauron makes the precious.
Gollum loves and hates the precious.
Full Sig

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38031 on: September 27, 2013, 12:16:08 pm »

Steam controller unveiled

I'm having a hard time believing no one at Valve ever thought this was stupid. If I'm parsing it correctly, each of those big, speaker-like trackpads is actually three separate inputs.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 12:17:58 pm by Mephisto »

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #38032 on: September 27, 2013, 12:21:40 pm »

That... is actually not a bad idea.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #38033 on: September 27, 2013, 12:24:39 pm »

I like it.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38034 on: September 27, 2013, 12:28:39 pm »

Steam controller unveiled

I'm having a hard time believing no one at Valve ever thought this was stupid. If I'm parsing it correctly, each of those big, speaker-like trackpads is actually three separate inputs.

It looks like a surprised face

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

(0l_l0)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #38035 on: September 27, 2013, 12:38:54 pm »

http://arstechnica.com/science/2009/01/night-e-night-sleepwalking-woman-logs-on-sends-e-mail/

This. What.

It's apparently happened before.

Also, when you're asleep your brain doesn't shut down like we'd been led to suspect, it just stops communicating between the various components. So it's entirely possible those components responsible for this tomfoolery were awake and active despite a lack of consciousness.

Evidence sited: watched an episode of Through the Wormhole. Some scientist was probing a man's brain with a magnet when he was awake and asleep. When awake, a current directed at one part of the brain resulted in activity there and all over the brain, "like ringing a bell." When asleep, shocking one part of the brain resulted in activity only in that part of the brain that received the shock, but the same level of activity as was seen when the patient was awake.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #38036 on: September 27, 2013, 01:51:52 pm »

That... is actually not a bad idea.
I like it.
I concur with both of these. It's like they've actually bothered to research the subject and come up with better ways to do things instead of churning out more mediocre equipment.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #38037 on: September 27, 2013, 03:08:53 pm »

Marvel: Agents of SHIELD.

........I have no more words.
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38038 on: September 27, 2013, 03:10:20 pm »

While I have no opinion at the moment, how much ya gonna bet this will come out of HL3's budget :P

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38039 on: September 27, 2013, 03:13:27 pm »

So I was reading the back of a bottle of anti-dog sprey and it said "Satisfaction guaranteed"

Now you may be thinking to yourself: "Clearly satisfaction is guaranteed or my money back" and you would be

WRONG!

You see in order to actually get your money back you need to have some level of postcognizance and know IN ADVANCE that you aren't happy with the bottle.

Why? Because the bottle has to be PERFECTLY UNUSED for your satisfaction to be guaranteed.

Though I guess you could buy the bottle and it isn't the right color.
Pages: 1 ... 2534 2535 [2536] 2537 2538 ... 10979