Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2548 2549 [2550] 2551 2552 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13186277 times)

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #38235 on: October 02, 2013, 10:30:13 am »

I always thought that Valve's methods of operation would foster a sense of perfectionism, since they don't really have deadlines and since the general public expects them not to release something worse than their previous games, so I'm pretty sure that they would absolutely not release a new game if they thought that there was any room for improvements.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38236 on: October 02, 2013, 10:35:13 am »

If HL3 does come out, I will regretfully wait until non-biased reviews come out due to the fact that I don't need a half life fan gushing over it and instead need a review that is 'Here is what I thought was good, and here is what I thought was bad'
You will never find an un-biased review. Everyone has personal bias and unless they are talking in pure facts (which would be unusual to do in a game review), there will be bias showing through.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #38237 on: October 02, 2013, 10:37:02 am »

I think they ment unbiased as "not influenced by hype or opinion of game company".

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38238 on: October 02, 2013, 10:50:20 am »

I think they meant unbiased as "not influenced by hype or opinion of game company".
But it will be. Any game reviewer will know about Valve, and they'll either think more highly of them than neutral, or the reviewer will think badly of Valve or the hype and so be more negative than neutral.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38239 on: October 02, 2013, 10:58:48 am »

I think they meant unbiased as "not influenced by hype or opinion of game company".
But it will be. Any game reviewer will know about Valve, and they'll either think more highly of them than neutral, or the reviewer will think badly of Valve or the hype and so be more negative than neutral.
I was thinking more on the lines of overlooking flaws due to hype.

I was on the influence of coffee so my brain was all 'Blehehegrhegg' in terms of making sense.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38240 on: October 02, 2013, 11:56:24 am »

I always thought that Valve's methods of operation would foster a sense of perfectionism, since they don't really have deadlines and since the general public expects them not to release something worse than their previous games, so I'm pretty sure that they would absolutely not release a new game if they thought that there was any room for improvements.

Valve isn't in the business of "perfecting" their gameplay over revolutionizing it. They are certainly better then most but they have added junk without improving the core gameplay a few times.

Mostly I brought this up because in another forum I go to. The series reached a stagnation point (Where it could no longer revolutionize) and the forum is basically full of people yelling and screaming about it now. Yet at the same time the next game isn't out yet and it could very well improve. Just not with the "Ohh well, it is the same game but we added new guns!" sort of way.

It is why I will probably start to say a lot about games that try to improve themselves over adding content ontop.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #38241 on: October 02, 2013, 11:58:00 am »

If HL3 does come out, I will regretfully wait until non-biased reviews come out due to the fact that I don't need a half life fan gushing over it and instead need a review that is 'Here is what I thought was good, and here is what I thought was bad'
But what if the game is literally so good no one can say a bad word about it?
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38242 on: October 02, 2013, 12:00:50 pm »

But what if the game is literally so good no one can say a bad word about it?
Then I...

I don't know

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #38243 on: October 02, 2013, 12:00:55 pm »

Damn I need to finish HL2 once Dx. I only ever finished episode 1 I think.

Now I think about it, I need to finish HL1 as well...

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38244 on: October 02, 2013, 12:10:41 pm »

I finally finished HL2 last week. FOLLOW FREEMAN IS FUCKING DIFFICULT!

Especially when you can't hit the barn from inside the barn :P

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38245 on: October 02, 2013, 12:39:03 pm »

Try doing the Gravity Gun-only run of Ravenholm. You'd be surprised how efficient washing machines are at killing zombies.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

PanH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38246 on: October 02, 2013, 12:46:20 pm »

Try doing the Gravity Gun-only run of Ravenholm. You'd be surprised how efficient washing machines are at killing zombies.
I like circular saws, but Ravenholm is creepy. Ravenholm is the reason I don't redo a run of HL2.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38247 on: October 02, 2013, 01:01:14 pm »

I like circular saws, but Ravenholm is creepy. Ravenholm is the reason I don't redo a run of HL2.

Honestly to me it just looks like a bunch of abandoned buildings with zombies in them... and deadly one hit kill crabs.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38248 on: October 02, 2013, 02:14:54 pm »

That (and the one about going through Sandtraps without stepping on the sand) was the most fun achievement period for me.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #38249 on: October 02, 2013, 02:22:48 pm »

There are games that are perfect in design. That take their own gameplay to as great a height as they can go.
Cookie clicker?

Mega Man X
Pages: 1 ... 2548 2549 [2550] 2551 2552 ... 10983