Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2830 2831 [2832] 2833 2834 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13169582 times)

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #42465 on: January 09, 2014, 03:51:36 pm »

I'll just put it out there that possums are not cuddly, lovable creatures.

You have obviously not seen that video of a possum eating a strawberry.

Behold.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #42466 on: January 09, 2014, 03:53:33 pm »

Yeah he's actually alright. Sometimes he's a little shit, like he will walk up and right in front of you just reach his paw out and knock over a cup. He prefers to knock over red liquids. If you're drinking cranberry juice and he's in a mood you need to keep an eye on it.

He also does this thing where he gallops from one end of the house to the other and then stares out the window.

He also figured out that the little green plastic mouse is the source of the laser pointer. He will play with the mouse on the floor. If you pick it up from wherever he stands up and looks at you, like he's always aware of where the little green mouse is at all times.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42467 on: January 09, 2014, 04:12:14 pm »

People, possums:

Verus opossums or 'possums:

This is why I asked what kind, because people are always unclear!

Also, 'possums are one of the mammals with the lowest possible chance of having rabies (rabies actually requires a fairly high body temperature to survive, and 'possums natural body temperature is below that threshold). I find it... unlikely that someone here encountered not one but two with the disease.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 04:16:04 pm by GlyphGryph »

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42468 on: January 09, 2014, 04:14:52 pm »

Rabbits and exotic pets on the other hand...

I always thought rabbits just didn't have the personality/intelligence that cats and dogs had. That was until I got mine and became close to him; he's actually a real character. As I said I'm always conscious of trying not to project myself or my own thoughts onto the animal but in his case he's actually very funny. I would recommend that, provided people have the time and money to spare, they get a young rabbit with a lot of energy and bond with them. There's a lot more to them than people give them credit.

The animals I'm most impressed with though are pet rats. My brother's looking after a chubby one at the moment and he's fantastic. Scarily intelligent but really affectionate. He'll even ride around on your shoulder like a pirate's parrot.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #42469 on: January 09, 2014, 04:21:05 pm »

I... don't think I could get another rabbit. Bad memories, though I don't quite remember if it was the rabbit or the chicken that got ran over by a lawnmower (jesus hell, mess. Half the freaking yard.). The other one got eaten alive by ants, whichever it was. Fairly sure it was the rabbit that got ran over.

Then there was another rabbit later on. German shepard got that one, we think, or some stray dog. There was a foot left. A. Singular.

None of this was my fault, per se. I was young, and care wasn't particularly in my control, but. Yeah.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42470 on: January 09, 2014, 04:24:30 pm »

Yeah, only get a pet like that, or indeed any pet, if you're certain you can take sufficient care of it. I know sometimes freak things happen (the two rabbits I've had escaped twice) but it's not fair on the animal if we can't look after them.

My cat catches baby rabbits all the time and it's quite upsetting but there's nothing I can do about it. Sometimes he catches adults but he can't eat them. He's got a bell now to keep him from decimating the bird population but he's actually learned to move in a way that won't make the bell ring.

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
  • There's been a distinct lack of Praisin' recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42471 on: January 09, 2014, 04:32:44 pm »

-snip-
Natural predators, them cats.

I've always had a dog or a cat around, but it'll change later when I move.  Not really an animal person, I can barely keep myself together, let alone have an animal that depends on me to care for it.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #42472 on: January 09, 2014, 04:34:19 pm »

In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42473 on: January 09, 2014, 04:38:50 pm »

No no, much too thin and sleek. Svelte even.

This is him:

His physique makes his feats of agility all the more impressive. He can really shift it when he's out hunting, he's like one of those grizzly bears that plods around then runs at 40mph.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 04:47:37 pm by Owlbread »

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42474 on: January 09, 2014, 04:46:20 pm »

Heard the dogs barking like made earlier, and went to check out what they were going nuts about.

Outside in the backyard were 4 turkeys. Where the hell did they come from?

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42475 on: January 09, 2014, 04:47:48 pm »

Watch out for wild turkeys. They have sharp spurs on the backs of their legs that can do serious damage.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42476 on: January 09, 2014, 04:49:49 pm »

No way I'd be getting close to wild animals in my yard. I wouldn't let the dogs near them either.

No idea where they came from though.

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42477 on: January 09, 2014, 04:52:00 pm »

The animals I'm most impressed with though are pet rats. My brother's looking after a chubby one at the moment and he's fantastic. Scarily intelligent but really affectionate. He'll even ride around on your shoulder like a pirate's parrot.

Rats are amazing. I've had a lot as pets, but my favourite was one that we raised from a newborn. She was super friendly and had no fear. At one point she figured out how to escape the cage, did it three times before we fixed the cage so she couldn't. Each time she escaped in the dead of night, and apparently wandered the house until she found an occupied bed and then climbed up to visit the sleeping human. Three different times, three different beds. Family members weren't impressed. :P

But yeah, they'll totally sit on your shoulder and groom your hair for you. They're also among the only non-human animals who have been confirmed to laugh when they're having fun and enjoy being tickled.

Owlbread

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42478 on: January 09, 2014, 04:55:54 pm »

Rats are amazing. I've had a lot as pets, but my favourite was one that we raised from a newborn. She was super friendly and had no fear. At one point she figured out how to escape the cage, did it three times before we fixed the cage so she couldn't. Each time she escaped in the dead of night, and apparently wandered the house until she found an occupied bed and then climbed up to visit the sleeping human. Three different times, three different beds. Family members weren't impressed. :P

But yeah, they'll totally sit on your shoulder and groom your hair for you. They're also among the only non-human animals who have been confirmed to laugh when they're having fun and enjoy being tickled.

I had to look this up further and my god it's great.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #42479 on: January 09, 2014, 05:05:41 pm »

I had to look this up further and my god it's great.

That's positively adorable. :3

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 2830 2831 [2832] 2833 2834 ... 10983