Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2951 2952 [2953] 2954 2955 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13178010 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #44280 on: February 17, 2014, 09:12:00 pm »

Look at the text in the background, Frump.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #44281 on: February 17, 2014, 09:13:40 pm »

Ah yes, the 42. The answer to life, the universe, and everything.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #44282 on: February 17, 2014, 09:14:10 pm »

Explains why the rover is hurtling toward a group of tourists, at least. I wonder if their bones have high material value, or if they're just migrants.

E: Kaij, the other number.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44284 on: February 17, 2014, 09:27:51 pm »

This psych course has led me to such interesting places, did you know that according to the margin of my textbook, Harry Potter is a good illustration of the nature-nurture interaction, being that he was born to pureblooded parents, but raised by muggles, he had natural magical ability, but it didn't flourish until he went to Hogwarts...

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #44286 on: February 17, 2014, 09:41:33 pm »

This psych course has led me to such interesting places, did you know that according to the margin of my textbook, Harry Potter is a good illustration of the nature-nurture interaction, being that he was born to pureblooded parents, but raised by muggles, he had natural magical ability, but it didn't flourish until he went to Hogwarts...
... he wasn't born to pureblooded parents (Only his father was, Lily was muggleborn), and it's kinda' arguable he flourished at all, from what I recall. Only had one particularly innate magical ability, too (parseltongue, and it's arguable that that was actually natural), if I'm not misremembering -- the rest of it largely required training to be more than random discharges. Critter's a pretty strong case for the majority of nature being bollocks, from what I've seen (great deal of HP's actions can be fairly easily slotted in to the predictable behavioral patterns of someone that's gone through what he has). Plenty of fanfiction makes good (and bad, and mediocre, and ungodly terrible) investigations into the subject.
Ask not!
Ask!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #44287 on: February 17, 2014, 09:46:04 pm »

... he wasn't born to pureblooded parents (Only his father was, Lily was muggleborn), and it's kinda' arguable he flourished at all, from what I recall. Only had one particularly innate magical ability, too (parseltongue, and it's arguable that that was actually natural), if I'm not misremembering -- the rest of it largely required training to be more than random discharges. Critter's a pretty strong case for the majority of nature being bollocks, from what I've seen (great deal of HP's actions can be fairly easily slotted in to the predictable behavioral patterns of someone that's gone through what he has). Plenty of fanfiction makes good (and bad, and mediocre, and ungodly terrible) investigations into the subject.
Parseltongue wasn't inborn either, IIRC; it was a side effect of the fragment of Moldievort's soul stuck in his body.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #44288 on: February 17, 2014, 09:49:07 pm »

Yeah, that's what I normally hear, I just wasn't sure if that was actually canon or whatnot. I, uh. I never actually read the last book, and only half paid attention to the penultimate one when I read through it. Picked up the rough path of things via fanfics, over the years, but yeah.
Ask not!
Ask!

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44289 on: February 17, 2014, 09:50:02 pm »

Parseltongue wasn't inborn either, IIRC; it was a side effect of the fragment of Moldievort's soul stuck in his body.
Hmm. Did J.K. Rowling ever address whether he lost his parseltongue ability after Voldemort was defeated?

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #44290 on: February 17, 2014, 09:51:13 pm »

Hmm. Did J.K. Rowling ever address whether he lost his parseltongue ability after Voldemort was defeated?
I think she said somewhere that he lost the ability afterwards.
It's FEF, not FEOF

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44291 on: February 17, 2014, 09:53:04 pm »

Also, pure-blood depends on how "pureblood" actually works. Is it like the Nazis where you need wizards back to your grandparents? Is it just "two wizards for parents"? *shrug*
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44292 on: February 17, 2014, 09:54:50 pm »

Pretty sure the Nazi definition applied. Most of the purebloods in the series had long histories of pureblood families, though only the Nazi-like families themselves (Malfoys, Blacks, etc) actually really cared.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #44293 on: February 17, 2014, 09:55:12 pm »

I can't imagine Voldemort's people would be the kind to believe that halfbloods can produce purebloods. Of course, logically that means almost nobody is actually a pureblood, which is itself kind of a brilliant realization of how crazy such ideas of purity actually are.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #44294 on: February 17, 2014, 09:55:59 pm »

Also, pure-blood depends on how "pureblood" actually works. Is it like the Nazis where you need wizards back to your grandparents? Is it just "two wizards for parents"? *shrug*
*waves vaguely at half-blood prince* Probably at least grandparents, yeah.
Ask not!
Ask!
Pages: 1 ... 2951 2952 [2953] 2954 2955 ... 10983