Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2954 2955 [2956] 2957 2958 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13185359 times)

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #44325 on: February 18, 2014, 11:47:18 am »

What's wrong with the traditional clone-name Barry?
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #44326 on: February 18, 2014, 11:51:07 am »

... you're apparently too young to know. Go watch some looney toons circa pre-2000 and call back.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44327 on: February 18, 2014, 11:53:05 am »

Throughout my life, I never watched children's television, not matter the era.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #44328 on: February 18, 2014, 11:54:42 am »

You're missing out.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44329 on: February 18, 2014, 11:58:40 am »

So many people have told me, but I really don't see the appeal in it. It's literally designed for children; i'm not a child. What, exactly, am I missing out on besides nostalgia?

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44330 on: February 18, 2014, 12:01:38 pm »

Because fifties era cartoons were designed for families. Adults are members of families.

Not just children.

Go watch the Bugs Bunny one, Barber (bunny?) Of Seville.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #44331 on: February 18, 2014, 12:04:45 pm »

Well to use Frumple's example, Looney Tunes was not originally designed for children. It was designed for adults and arbitrarily declared for children due to being animated.

To speak in more generalized terms, nothing lacks merit solely due to the audience it is designed for. I like little girl's shows, I like little boy's shows, I like adult men's shows, I like adult women's shows. There are also examples of each that I don't like. The merit of each show is not determined by its intended audience.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #44332 on: February 18, 2014, 12:09:40 pm »

I primarily watch cartoons all the way to college. The other times is Mythbuster.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #44333 on: February 18, 2014, 12:34:14 pm »

Yeah... I've said it before, I'll say it again. What's fun at five is fun at fifty, legal and physical constraints aside. If a "kid's" show is entertaining, it is entertaining, regardless as to the age or arbitrary maturity status the person watching falls under. Looney Toons (Or apparently Tunes. Eh.) was pretty great when I was a pre-teen. It was pretty great when I was a teen. It's been pretty great when I've watched it in my twenties. It'll be pretty great when I watch it in my thirties, and forties, and fifties, and so on. Interesting enough characters, gags, jokes, scenarios, etc., so forth, so on. It's got a lot of objectively good stuff in its library of episodes*.

Denying oneself the opportunity of enjoyment or enlightenment just because one has crossed an arbitrary and meaningless age or behavioral pattern line is the silliest of things, imo. Not liking it for other reasons is fine, but just because of stuff like "I'm not a kid" is just... don't do that to yourself, people ;_;

*It would be kinda' surprising if there wasn't, considering the shows and shows spun off from them have been going pretty much continuously since the 1930s. Checking good ol' Doc Wiki, just for Looney Tunes itself there's been over a thousand animated shorts made under its banner. Sturgeon's revelation would note that means there's at least a hundred of those that are pretty good.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 12:37:48 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44334 on: February 18, 2014, 12:37:55 pm »

Not true all the time, I would say. When I was younger, and played games, I often played on the easiest difficulty, because I enjoyed winning without challenge. Now, however, I find doing the same to be tedious, and something being too easy is far worse that it being hard.

Mr. Strange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44335 on: February 18, 2014, 12:55:23 pm »

I can't remember that I would have ever watched cartoons, or any western animated series. I went straight to anime and series like Neon Genesis Evangelion and Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni. People kept asking me if they were like pokemon...

I don't think they were meant for kids.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Then you get cities like Paris where you should basically just kill yourself already.

You won’t have to think anymore: it’ll be just like having fun!

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #44336 on: February 18, 2014, 01:04:55 pm »

Cartoons=kids show is an outdated and quite frankly an uninformed notion. I find them generally less stupid than what people consider a teen show.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #44337 on: February 18, 2014, 01:24:54 pm »

Hey, was the moon fucking huge about five hours ago for anybody else? It might have been the largest daytime moon I've ever seen.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #44338 on: February 18, 2014, 01:25:38 pm »

Cartoons=kids show is an outdated and quite frankly an uninformed notion. I find them generally less stupid than what people consider a teen show.
But kids are generally less stupid than teens...

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44339 on: February 18, 2014, 01:29:52 pm »

I can't remember that I would have ever watched cartoons, or any western animated series. I went straight to anime and series like Neon Genesis Evangelion and Higurashi No Naku Koro Ni. People kept asking me if they were like pokemon...

I don't think they were meant for kids.
[spoiler]
Cartoon = two-dimensional images set to motion and sound = anime. There are plenty of western cartoons that aren't meant for kids, either, the animated format just gets a bad rap in the US. The only difference between western cartoons and anime is stylistic choices, and one being predominantly from Japan.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting
Pages: 1 ... 2954 2955 [2956] 2957 2958 ... 10983