Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2975 2976 [2977] 2978 2979 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13188414 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #44640 on: February 24, 2014, 03:14:53 pm »

I have a higher opinion of the motivation of a group of skilled artists employed by an actual company whose work actually makes money vs. one anonymous person with an SCP account.
So creative work is only really worthwhile if it's funded by a company? Okay then.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44641 on: February 24, 2014, 03:17:25 pm »

"Independent producer? Ha, you're automatically worth less than people who are told what to do by a company!"
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #44642 on: February 24, 2014, 03:17:43 pm »

I have a higher opinion of the motivation of a group of skilled artists employed by an actual company whose work actually makes money vs. one anonymous person with an SCP account.
So creative work is only really worthwhile if it's funded by a company? Okay then.
*insert hooting*
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #44643 on: February 24, 2014, 03:24:07 pm »

Hah! Hardly. It's that there are barriers to entry. Someone with purse strings had to notice that this person is worth paying. Someone else had to approve the content they produced. They might put out something of lower quality, but there were checks on those artists putting weird squicky crap out there. Instead we have someone whose qualification is that they have an email address. There are tons of places on the internet for a person to revel in and share their kinks, but some people like to thrust their kink on the "normals", like flashing people from a trench coat. Again, plenty of places where his squicky crap would be pleasantly received; he doesn't need to insert it everywhere.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #44644 on: February 24, 2014, 03:26:34 pm »

Green is not a creative colour. Be sure to buy more apple products.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44645 on: February 24, 2014, 03:28:08 pm »

* Darvi would like to point out that paid professionals are just as likely to create crap as a dedicated amateur.

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #44646 on: February 24, 2014, 03:34:52 pm »

Like seriously. What the actual fuuudge. I mean, I'm sure there are people who need this, but for crying out loud this is absurd. :I

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #44647 on: February 24, 2014, 03:35:12 pm »

* Darvi would like to point out that paid professionals are just as likely to create crap as a dedicated amateur.
Excellent point! I agree with you and nothing in that statement invalidates what I said.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44648 on: February 24, 2014, 03:37:01 pm »

What are you talking about the very first word in that sentence invalidates EVERYTHING. EVER. SAID.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44649 on: February 24, 2014, 03:37:09 pm »

Hah! Hardly. It's that there are barriers to entry. Someone with purse strings had to notice that this person is worth paying. Someone else had to approve the content they produced. They might put out something of lower quality, but there were checks on those artists putting weird squicky crap out there. Instead we have someone whose qualification is that they have an email address. There are tons of places on the internet for a person to revel in and share their kinks, but some people like to thrust their kink on the "normals", like flashing people from a trench coat. Again, plenty of places where his squicky crap would be pleasantly received; he doesn't need to insert it everywhere.

That is bullshit, pardonne-moi mon Francais. The SCP guys are the most critical bunch of web writers I have ever seen. They are a hundred times more likely to tear your e-peen off at the root than to polish it, and they'll eat you raw if you so much as write a juvenile sentence, much less a whole article.

And it's not like the guys holding the purse-strings of video game devs actually monitor the content in 100% occasions, yes? Otherwise some games would never even get made, and the world would be a brighter place.

Besides, your logic is slightly flawed. The SCP Foundation is a place where all those writers and writerlings creep us out with whichever. This one creeps us out with gross sexual stuff. How is that worse than creeping us out with murder-stuff and mindfuckery, like the regular SCP fare? Is every article where somebody gets elaborately slaughtered a jack-off fic for its author? I think not.
It's like that Scandinavia and the World strip where America goes all "OH GOD PENIS" after watching ten pages of violence beforehand.

All in all, I think you are slightly mistaken about this article.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #44650 on: February 24, 2014, 03:45:21 pm »

After tracking it down and reading it, you get a feeling when reading something. It's like coming across a webcomic where all the dragons are obsessed with swallowing each other whole and getting fat. WTF is the response, and then it dawns on you that the author has some specific sexual fetishes he's putting on display. That feels very different from someone writing horror or something bizarre or whatever.

Second, your experience with the SCP community may differ, but my experience as a reader suggests it's a bit of a circlejerk of praise and encouragement with some passive-aggressive "tips for improvement" thrown in as authorial posturing. Plenty of SCP ideas are just stupid or poorly executed. It's not the pure, beautiful distillation from the crucible of a writing community with savagely high standards. It's 2 great articles floating on top for every 8 turds. It's kitchen sink without restraint. And it is slowly improving. But it is not the best thing ever or impervious to criticism.

And I'm not saying the article is completely awful. If you were into his kinks you'd love it. If I wanted to go to a site with kink fiction I'd do it. I didn't think that was what SCP was about. If it is, perhaps they should mention it on the homepage or label the kink articles with some kind of tag.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #44651 on: February 24, 2014, 03:51:12 pm »

Like seriously. What the actual fuuudge. I mean, I'm sure there are people who need this, but for crying out loud this is absurd. :I

Learn martial arts, ???, profit!
Hah, I wish.

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44652 on: February 24, 2014, 03:55:09 pm »

-snip-

Well, whatever doesn't float your boat. I didn't get much of a "kink" feeling from it - more like just plain yukkity-gross.

As for the circle-jerk bit - yes, 'tis so. But actually awful or entirely shitty articles which are obviously author self-aggrandizement get torn down pretty quick, in my experience, and those guys actually do pay attention to the tone, which surprised me at first.

In general, I would like to revise your statement - it's not two great articles on top of eight turds. It's two great articles on top of eight "meh, this is not bad enough to delete but not good enough to care" articles.
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #44653 on: February 24, 2014, 03:57:13 pm »

*hooting intensifies*
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44654 on: February 24, 2014, 03:58:43 pm »

As for that 4chan comment a few pages back: IIRC, 178, the Ur-SCP, actually originated on 4chan. Like I said: IIRC.
Pages: 1 ... 2975 2976 [2977] 2978 2979 ... 10983