Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3020 3021 [3022] 3023 3024 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13176796 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #45315 on: March 07, 2014, 10:22:14 am »

Things I saw today:

A tanker truck hauling - get this - molten sulphur. Why is a truck hauling molten sulphur around, and why isn't it several miles away from me? That's possibly the second-nastiest thing I've seen, freightwise.

A flock of what appear to be wild turkeys. I say wild because there doesn't appear to be any sort of farm or home nearby where they might have come from, but we aren't exactly in the middle of the woods. But there they are, a bunch of turkeys walking around like they own the place.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #45316 on: March 07, 2014, 10:32:10 am »

That begs the question of what the nastiest thing you've seen was.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #45317 on: March 07, 2014, 10:33:09 am »

A tanker truck hauling - get this - molten sulphur. Why is a truck hauling molten sulphur around, and why isn't it several miles away from me? That's possibly the second-nastiest thing I've seen, freightwise.
This begs the question...

E: ninja'd almost exactly

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45318 on: March 07, 2014, 10:35:52 am »

That would probably be the dry van with heavy-duty locks on the doors and "RADIOACTIVE" hazard placards plastered all over it. Better believe I gave that one a decent amount of space.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #45319 on: March 07, 2014, 10:42:14 am »

Probably a transport of medical isotopes. Quite a bit nastier than nuclear waste, as they're far more radioactive and short lived.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #45320 on: March 07, 2014, 10:45:12 am »

That would probably be the dry van with heavy-duty locks on the doors and "RADIOACTIVE" hazard placards plastered all over it. Better believe I gave that one a decent amount of space.
Niiiiiiice.

Although it's possible it didn't have anything radioactive in it right at that moment. I have seen people in overalls putting chemicals from a high school lab storage room into barrels marked "Hazardous Material", with biohazard signs  and all.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45321 on: March 07, 2014, 10:53:19 am »

Niiiiiiice.

Although it's possible it didn't have anything radioactive in it right at that moment. I have seen people in overalls putting chemicals from a high school lab storage room into barrels marked "Hazardous Material", with biohazard signs  and all.
Nope. Legally, a truck containing hazardous materials needs to display warning placards showing what it is. Likewise, a truck that contains no hazardous materials CAN NOT display placards. You can get hit with very hefty fines for having it the wrong way.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #45322 on: March 07, 2014, 11:00:18 am »

Things I saw today:

A flock of what appear to be wild turkeys. I say wild because there doesn't appear to be any sort of farm or home nearby where they might have come from, but we aren't exactly in the middle of the woods. But there they are, a bunch of turkeys walking around like they own the place.
I don't know where you are, but where I live wild turkeys are pretty common.

Ditto on the sulfur though.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity makes everything fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #45323 on: March 07, 2014, 11:05:20 am »

But you could've become a superhero! Trust me, I've read manuals on this stuff like "Spiderman" and "The Incredible Hulk."
When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45324 on: March 07, 2014, 11:10:11 am »

The sulfur truck was probably transporting it probably to create sulfuric acid, which has a number of industrial uses.

Sulfur apparently mostly comes from the refinement of natural gas or petrolium, and 85% of the world's supply gets converted to sulfuric acid (I did not know these things before I looked them up).

I don't actually think it's actually very dangerous in it's pure form. Though it smells awful.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #45325 on: March 07, 2014, 11:27:01 am »

Niiiiiiice.

It very well might have been hazardous. Sulfric, Nitric and Hydrochloric acid, Sodium Hydroxide, Acetone and various oil derivatives were all in my high school lab.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #45326 on: March 07, 2014, 11:31:29 am »

The sulfur truck was probably transporting it probably to create sulfuric acid, which has a number of industrial uses.

Sulfur apparently mostly comes from the refinement of natural gas or petrolium, and 85% of the world's supply gets converted to sulfuric acid (I did not know these things before I looked them up).

I don't actually think it's actually very dangerous in it's pure form. Though it smells awful.
But why ship it molten? That involves some fairly significant heating costs, if nothing else.

EDIT: And chemically dangerous or no, molten sulfur would give some pretty serious burns on account of being a bit warmer than boiling water and there being an entire tanker full of the stuff.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #45327 on: March 07, 2014, 12:29:01 pm »

Because it's produced molten*, and used molten**. It's easier to get a sufficiently isolated truck, and transport it that way, than having to cool it down first, scrape it out of whatever you stored it in, dump it in the truck, and then have to reheat it at the target facility.

*Though that procedure is being phased out.
**Well, most of the time it's burned, so it has to

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45328 on: March 07, 2014, 12:37:12 pm »

A lot of servers seem to be having problems today. Some have graphical glitches, others have display problems. I was under the impression that these were normally server-specific problems, but that it's happening to so many at once suggests to me that my shitty internet service is somehow fucking it up.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #45329 on: March 07, 2014, 12:48:57 pm »

So it's less "WE NEED TO KEEP THIS MOLTEN" and it's more "Eh, just stuff it in the (adequately shielded/safe) truck as-is, they can heat it up a little at the facility."
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.
Pages: 1 ... 3020 3021 [3022] 3023 3024 ... 10983