Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3055 3056 [3057] 3058 3059 ... 10980

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13149461 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #45840 on: March 18, 2014, 01:35:20 pm »

Not sure whether to put this in this thread or the terrified thread. I figure here because I handled the situation like an emotionless cyborg.

So I am a 16 year old boy in his last year of highschool. I was waiting around my maths room for the teacher to arrive, and was talking to friends and things like that. Apparently he arrived and I didn't notice, along with a bunch of other people. So we keep milling around waiting, the this maths teacher from the opposite side of the hall (a good 15 metres) swings open his door and starts yelling something to the effect of,
"This isn't a social area! Get into your room!"
I was kind of taken aback by this, and as he continued his angry tirade people started to shuffle towards the door, but I didn't. Not out of any active rebellion, just that I was still watching to see what he'd do. He then notices me paying attention to him and gets angry at me personally (even though he was still speaking. Really it would have been more rude to leave while he was still shouting.) and asks, "Are you in that room‽" to which I reply, "Yes," because it was true. But instead of leaving it at that he says, "Well go on then, why aren't you in there?"
And then, and I shit you not, he sticks his arms out like he's trying to make himself look bigger, starts striding over to me with hugely exaggerated strides and torso movements and yells, "Or do you want to make something of it?"
Right here I start internally flipping out internally because I thought I would seriously have to beat down this almost-bald, ginger, middle aged maths teacher. But he stops about 15 cm from my face and starts flipping out in my face, keeping a horrifyingly intent level of eye contact the entire time. Asks me if I said, "What" to him just now, and I told him I'm pretty sure I didn't. Then he gets angrier and I remain outwardly perfectly cool and just answered his stupid questions as calmly as possible, for example, why I was outside the room and not going in (which as I said earlier wasn't exclusively me), and why I was looking at him, he asked if he, "Wasn't loud enough." I said that it was actually the opposite and that I was looking because he was being incredibly loud and it was kind of startling. He gave a sarcastic "Right," and then I echoed "Right" (but in a less dickish tone) because saying the same shit other people say usually shows that you're agreeing with them. Instead he took this as great a great offence and stayed silent for about 15 second then takes on a tone with enough venom in it to kill an elephant and asks "What did you just say?" I then had to spend another 30 seconds or so explaining how it is that I was trying to agree with him (diplomatic lie, he was actually chatting absolute shit but whatever gets me away from the unstable angry man the fastest), then he finally left, saying something like "Look, now you've kept [teacher] waiting. Get in there now!"
Sorry sir, but it was in fact you who kept me out here for a good 3 minutes.

And the entire time I managed to keep a straight face. Though I couldn't really do much useful with my hands for the next 10 minutes, keeping from showing being nervous is hard.

I wouldn't blame you for thinking I'm exaggerating and being a resentful teenager or whatever, but I'm not. This is actually how it played out. Mostly the aggressive stride and an intrusion way into the proximity where I stop feeling comfortable talking to somebody are the things that pushed this into terrifying thread territory though. The rest of it after that was just a bit surreal. People aren't meant to act like that, especially people who are given a position of authority.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
  • Here to throw dinosaurs at people
    • View Profile
« Reply #45841 on: March 18, 2014, 01:50:52 pm »

Sometimes, there are teachers who just don't understand that some people hold common sense over listening to a silly authority. A supply english teacher once told me off for using the word 'plenary', and told me off again for asking for her to explain what I had to do with the barely-understandable book she'd told me to something-with-words-I-didn't-understand. That sort of thing happened for all three lessons I was with her in, although by the time I started complaining we were about to get the old teacher back.

Probably worth seeing if the guy's usually like that, though.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45842 on: March 18, 2014, 01:54:46 pm »

It was too tempting to not make this joke, but's it's kinda cruel, so it's spoilered.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45843 on: March 18, 2014, 02:59:34 pm »

Sometimes, there are teachers who just don't understand that some people hold common sense over listening to a silly authority. A supply english teacher once told me off for using the word 'plenary', and told me off again for asking for her to explain what I had to do with the barely-understandable book she'd told me to something-with-words-I-didn't-understand. That sort of thing happened for all three lessons I was with her in, although by the time I started complaining we were about to get the old teacher back.

Probably worth seeing if the guy's usually like that, though.
I'm not saying that I'm completely in the right, I mean, I should have been paying more attention to going into the lesson.
But his reaction has pretty much nothing to do with that, it was more personal than anything.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45844 on: March 18, 2014, 03:04:25 pm »

He acted like (what we call) a chav.

If he'd started trying to fight you by hitting you with his shoulders whilst having his arms straight down, I'd have suspected he was there from Britain (You ARE non-British, right?)
greatorder.
I'm hurt.
Ouch.

Yes I'm British. From Best Yorkshire, in fact.
If it weren't for the fact I was legitimately concerned for the structural integrity of my face I would have made some Devvo jokes, but I was so I didn't.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #45845 on: March 18, 2014, 03:08:37 pm »

the opposite side of the hall (a good 15 metres)

You have some big-ass halls.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45846 on: March 18, 2014, 03:11:34 pm »

Hall as in main hall, not as in hallway.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #45847 on: March 18, 2014, 03:15:01 pm »

Hall as in main hall, not as in hallway.
Oh. I was gonna say, the hallways at my school are maybe three meters (ten-ish feet).
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45848 on: March 18, 2014, 03:21:24 pm »

He acted like (what we call) a chav.

If he'd started trying to fight you by hitting you with his shoulders whilst having his arms straight down, I'd have suspected he was there from Britain (You ARE non-British, right?)
greatorder.
I'm hurt.
Ouch.

Yes I'm British. From Best Yorkshire, in fact.
If it weren't for the fact I was legitimately concerned for the structural integrity of my face I would have made some Devvo jokes, but I was so I didn't.
Oh.

Right.

Sorry about that.

*adds Graknorke to list of known British B12ers*

That's me, you... possibly LW? I don't remember.

Also your description of the teacher (bar his behaviour) sounded a lot like one of the teachers at my old school. He even had a mini-rap made for him.
I am plenty dapper and english enough for the British List, too!

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #45849 on: March 18, 2014, 03:28:35 pm »

I am a brit too, though would never describe myself as such, what with our petty lines in the dirt subdividing us.
This is a blank sig.

Eotyrannus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #45850 on: March 18, 2014, 03:30:21 pm »

Do you live in Britain, though?

You need to live in Britain (bar holidays) in order to be British! The old territories exiled themselves, and thus brought their un-Britishness upon themselves!
I moved from Dorset to the Wirral. So yeah, plenty British.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #45851 on: March 18, 2014, 03:34:46 pm »

I also live in the Misery Isles.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Kansa

• Bay Watcher
  • Distant Traces of Beauty
    • View Profile
« Reply #45852 on: March 18, 2014, 03:36:29 pm »

I also live in Britain :)
* greatorder smothers Kansa with earwax

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #45853 on: March 18, 2014, 03:38:50 pm »

One of my ancestors, one Sir Walter Tyrell, "accidently" shot the King of England (William II) on a hunting trip. Take that, ya limey b*****ds! *sticks out tongue*
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #45854 on: March 18, 2014, 03:41:15 pm »

Ah, William II... tried invading Wales, failed. Hehe.
This is a blank sig.
Pages: 1 ... 3055 3056 [3057] 3058 3059 ... 10980