Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3220 3221 [3222] 3223 3224 ... 10973

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 12997456 times)

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #48315 on: April 30, 2014, 08:39:34 pm »

A lot of workplaces in Russia use the paid version of Office simply out of tradition, as far as I know. They have used Microsoft Word for so long that they cannot now concieve using anything else. Same with fonts, actually, anything other than Times New Roman is considered unprofessional - official documents have always been typed in that font, after all.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #48316 on: April 30, 2014, 08:44:14 pm »

i2amroy, you have a whole lot of reading fail going there.
Ah, looks like a quote fail there on my part then. I read the recent post (which linked to the original post that mentioned OpenOffice), didn't see any other discussion on the recent page, followed the linked part back to the beginning of the discussion and read that for a base. Result was that I missed a lot of the middle stuff, which apparently invalidates my post. :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48317 on: April 30, 2014, 08:49:13 pm »

Well, the second one failure was in the original post, so... >_>
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #48318 on: April 30, 2014, 08:53:36 pm »

"Free trial" could just as easily mean someone was required to use a particular software and picked up the free trial as a short term solution while they attempted to convince those in charge to switch to the non-paid version. It's something I've seen happen several times, and it isn't until a few posts after the original that it becomes apparent it's talking about an IT department thing, not a personal vs. business thing (to someone who knows absolutely nothing about the poster to start with).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48319 on: April 30, 2014, 08:59:51 pm »

The bravery in this post has reached John Galt level.
Unusually for AnCaps, there is one thing I agree with
...victimless crimes are primarily a revenue source for states and not a matter of "public safety"...
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48320 on: April 30, 2014, 09:04:12 pm »

Society kinda has to pay for you being in a wheelchair after an accident - driving without a seatbelt is not a victimless crime.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 09:12:31 pm by Helgoland »
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48321 on: April 30, 2014, 09:06:47 pm »

Society kinda has to pay for you being in a wheelchair after an accident - driving without a seatbelt is not a victimless crime.
As a man who has seen way too many times how people can fly out of the windshield and splatter their brains on various walls and poles, I wholeheartedly agree.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48322 on: April 30, 2014, 09:08:49 pm »

'Course, they'll just say "Well we shouldn't be paying for them! They were stupid, why should I have to pay for his stupidity?"

:P
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48323 on: April 30, 2014, 09:10:09 pm »

You are kind of... stretching it a bit :P

We already paid the price, that is just coasting on the infrastructure

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #48324 on: April 30, 2014, 09:13:57 pm »

The bravery in this post has reached John Galt level.
Unusually for AnCaps, there is one thing I agree with
...victimless crimes are primarily a revenue source for states and not a matter of "public safety"...

I can't wait until he gets the bill from the jail.

That's what they do nowadays, you have to pay for being sent to jail (when convicted/plead guilty) in the US.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48325 on: April 30, 2014, 09:15:16 pm »

Whoa, meant to make that 'not' cursive, not crossed out. And why 'stretching it'?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #48326 on: April 30, 2014, 09:16:51 pm »

Because that pittance you pay in taxes that goes to stuff like this is negligible compared to person freedom concerns.

Property rights are on the low end of the totem pole when it comes to rights conflicts.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #48327 on: April 30, 2014, 09:19:56 pm »

You know how they get around that little tidbit, Kaijyuu?

EVERYTHING is property rights!

I even had someone tell me, in response to "You kind of have to prove that property rights are so super important that everything else is secondary", that without them we could just go around enslaving people!

Yeah. People are property now. What are we, the Confederacy? It's not that we have rights of bodily autonomy, nor basic human decency! No, it's because of John S. Oilman III's right to grab all the property he can and not pay a dime for environmental or tax concerns that people aren't kidnapped in the streets of New York and sold into slavery :I

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #48328 on: April 30, 2014, 09:22:12 pm »

Yeah. People are property now. What are we, the Confederacy?

<_< *silently mouths a sigh of relief at the averted PR disaster in the static avatars thread*
It's FEF, not FEOF

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48329 on: April 30, 2014, 09:22:21 pm »

Because that pittance you pay in taxes that goes to stuff like this is negligible compared to person freedom concerns.

Property rights are on the low end of the totem pole when it comes to rights conflicts.
I have no idea what the hell you are talking about now.
Pages: 1 ... 3220 3221 [3222] 3223 3224 ... 10973